Is '8-5' Gus Malzahn due for a big year?

RunInRed

The schedule, as we all know, is beyond brutal.  Auburn plays 6 of the top 12-ranked teams in the preseason AP Poll including trips to Baton Rouge, Gainesville and College Station.  But there's something about those odd-numbered years and Gus Malzahn being pushed to the brim that seems to spark something special. 

Is this the year that an '8-5' coach puts something glorious together?

image.png

Danny Sheridan thinks so ...

'Every year, I say they are going to lose three or four games," Sheridan explained. "Malzahn has had five horrible years. He’s an 8-5 coach. But, he will win every six years. This is his sixth year.

“I think Auburn will have a great year. I don’t care they are an underdog five times. I believe they are loaded at every position. What they need is a (former Alabama quarterback) AJ McCarron, a game manager. Nothing more.”

He pointed to “the best defensive line in the country” and “one of the best defenses in the country” he calls better than Alabama. Add that to an experienced offensive line, and Sheridan says, “they just need someone to put it together.”

“I’d be surprised if Auburn doesn’t beat Oregon, if they don’t upset LSU and upset Florida,” Sheridan said. “They are capable of upsetting Alabama or Georgia.”

Texas A&M, he explained, is a revenge game for the Aggies, so he isn’t ready to give Auburn the nod against Jimbo Fisher yet.

“I’m in the minority,” he said. “I think they are going to win 9, 10 or 11 games."

Thoughts?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i do not like the vampie looking spook show named sheridan but he is usually right or close to it...........

Has he named the bagman yet?😎

if malzahn wins 9 regular season games, i'm off his butt forever, and you can write that down....but, he won't...the bright side of it all though, is after each game, its one week closer to basketball season

People keep talking about the schedule, and it’s a concern. But I think this might legitimately be the most talented team he’s coached. This defense is scary. The offensive line is experienced (and I think more talented than people are giving them credit for). The quarterback is the only major question mark. How does Bo handle the pressure of starting? How does he handle 300 lb guys coming at him on every play?

Barring a lot of injuries, we should be at least close to victory in every game. There’s no excuse for any team to blow us out. A losing season puts the Gus Bus on blocks. If we finish 7-5 or 8-4, I’m firmly off the Gus Bus, but he’ll probably get another year given our rough schedule. 9 or 10 wins seems achievable with our talent. 11 would be impressive. Given the schedule though, I’ll guess we drop at least one somewhere. Would love to see it all come together at the end of the season to play spoiler for both of our rivals.

Been consistent and clear. Need to have at least 9 victories and I think he will get it. Anything less will be disappointed 

39 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

if malzahn wins 9 regular season games, i'm off his butt forever, and you can write that down....but, he won't...the bright side of it all though, is after each game, its one week closer to basketball season

I am going to remember this. Glad to see you posting again. 

I remember saying in 2014 if only Auburn had a defense half as good as the offense they’d be unstoppable.  Now in 2019 I’m saying if the offense can be half as good as the defense this team can be unstoppable.  Schedule is tough but not the murders row people are projecting.  Let’s see how things look against a good Oregon team and go from there.  

If the offensive line can be better (big if) and Bo is the real deal and keeps the defense honest and makes them respect his speed, I think we can compete with anyone and win a lot of games. Especially if the defense is as good as advertised. I think Gus keeps his job. 

we are going to bring pain, misery, and suffering to all those that dare oppose us.........lol

12 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I remember saying in 2014 if only Auburn had a defense half as good as the offense they’d be unstoppable.  Now in 2019 I’m saying if the offense can be half as good as the defense this team can be unstoppable.  Schedule is tough but not the murders row people are projecting.  Let’s see how things look against a good Oregon team and go from there.  

Right. It’ll be a tall order but no team in the SEC is unbeatable right now imo. All of them have weaknesses at one position or another 

4 minutes ago, api1957 said:

He'd be a 9 - 4 coach if he just could've won one more game in 2013😡 

Or if that Miss St game went our way last year. That was piss poor officiating at its finest.

40 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

it likely all hinges on qb play.

That will be important but I believe injuries at critical positions  (OL) will be a bigger deal.

11 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Or if that Miss St game went our way last year. That was piss poor officiating at its finest.

That game was a total team failure. 

Funny but I agree with him about one thing. Texas A&M will probably prove to be our toughest opponent, especially since we are at their house and Jimbo wants to beat Gus bad. Uat and uga will both have a down season. I believe Gus has Ed figured out, UF is overrated and the Mississippi schools are still the Mississippi schools 😊. I think the boys have got this so just hang on and “Ride the Brand” WDE

Injuries have robbed Auburn and Gus a couple times as well.  2015 and 2016 you could add the Georgia game to the win column if Sean White and all the running backs aren’t hurt.  Auburn moves right down the field against Oklahoma before Sean White breaks his arm in that game.  2016, 2017 could have been the allusive back to back 10 win seasons.  That leaves 2015 and 2018 as the only seasons most Auburn fans would have been disappointed by.  Hypothetical 12-2, 8-5, 7-6, 10-3 or 9-4, 10-4, 8-5.  I think most Auburn fans would feel better about that run.  

Archived