Is '8-5' Gus Malzahn due for a big year?

RunInRed

8 minutes ago, keesler said:

Dave Aranda against Chip Lindsey coupled with Gus' input.

Steve Ensminger against Kevin Steele.

First part = predictable outcome

Second part = wtf man

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, keesler said:

Dave Aranda against Chip Lindsey coupled with Gus' input.

Steve Ensminger against Kevin Steele.

Which is exactly what I said. 

I wasn't going to say Gus or Chip. Chip was an OC in name alone. Anyone who had ever seen a Chip Lindsey offense knew this as an unquestioned fact. The offense we ran with him as our OC looked NOTHING LIKE his offenses at Southern Miss or Arizona State. But at the same time, the offense we ran wasn't exactly a Gus Malzahn offense either...

Which is why I said Aranda against our offense and didn't attribute either coach to the offense because it wouldn't be fair to call it a Malzahn or Lindsey offense. 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Exactly my point. If our coach got outcoached it was by their OC &/or DC, not Coach O.  He’s a recruiter who is essentially a figurehead for the team. 

He built the staff and managed the program.  It ain't all about gameday, there's a lot more that goes into it and I'm fairly certain you know that.

On 8/25/2019 at 4:46 PM, DAG said:

Florida is crap. Get off the hype. Their QB play is porous. Defense is very much inconsistent and make a ton of mental mistakes. If they had played a half component team they would be unranked this next week. 

Florida was in their first game. I wouldnt put much if any stock in anyone's first game...

4 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Florida was in their first game. I wouldnt out much if any stock in anyone's first game...

Yet everyone put so much stock on preseason rankings..

That’s funny because if we look like that in our first game several of you guys would be all over Gus about how he isn’t prepared in year 7, how he still can’t call plays, how his QBs aren’t ready, etc. 

So I am going to make sure I remember this post if we look as incompetent this Saturday. 

49 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yet everyone put so much stock on preseason rankings..

That’s funny because if we look like that in our first game several of you guys would be all over Gus about how he isn’t prepared in year 7, how he still can’t call plays, how his QBs aren’t ready, etc. 

So I am going to make sure I remember this post if we look as incompetent this Saturday. 

Get back to me at the end of the season.

With  FR QB, on the road, against a Top 15 Team, I am not overly worried if we dont look that good in the Oregon Game. I dont think you ever heard me say a word about the Oregon game. 

39 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Get back to me at the end of the season.

With  FR QB, on the road, against a Top 15 Team, I am not overly worried if we dont look that good in the Oregon Game. I dont think you ever heard me say a word about the Oregon game. 

Good keep that same energy. I honestly never see you around here very much, but when I do, it is usually the same message.  Either way, a supposedly top ten, UF team looked like crap against an unranked UM team starting a redshirt freshman. Not a good look.  They turned the ball over 4 times, couldn’t run the ball and had about 100 yards of penalties. You do that against a quality team, you are going to lose. They are just lucky they played a team much less quality than them. 

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

Good keep that same energy. I honestly never see you around here very much, but when I do, it is usually the same message.  Either way, a supposedly top ten, UF team looked like crap against an unranked UM team starting a redshirt freshman. Not a good look.  They turned the ball over 4 times, couldn’t run the ball and had about 100 yards of penalties. You do that against a quality team, you are going to lose. They are just lucky they played a team much less quality than them. 

To hear you tell it, Miami isn't that much less quality than Florida. You may be right; I don't know, because I only saw the last 2 minutes of the game. But either they are a good team that made mistakes and got away with it, or they aren't a very good team. Or, perhaps, Miami is better than you're giving them credit for being. Could it be that you're influenced by preseason rankings, as well?

14 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

To hear you tell it, Miami isn't that much less quality than Florida. You may be right; I don't know, because I only saw the last 2 minutes of the game. But either they are a good team that made mistakes and got away with it, or they aren't a very good team. Or, perhaps, Miami is better than you're giving them credit for being. Could it be that you're influenced by preseason rankings, as well?

Dude, you said you only saw two minutes.  I watched all 60.  That game set football back 20 years.  If both teams play like that all year, they'll end up with minimum four losses each.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Dude, you said you only saw two minutes.  I watched all 60.  That game set football back 20 years.  If both teams play like that all year, they'll end up with minimum four losses each.

So either Florida is a good team that made mistakes and got away with it, or they aren't a very good team, then?

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I will admit I did not see the game although I had every intention to watch it.  How did Miami look?  The pure reason why I ask is hoping for Clemson to have to face anyone in the ACC that isn't a cupcake.  I am hoping GT's new coach will help them be less of a laughingstock soon.

31 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

If Miami was better than I am giving them credit for they would’ve capitalized on a team turning the ball over four times, no?  

21 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

The last two minutes were god awful as well! If I remember correctly didn’t UF get a couple of god awful defensive passing interferences that kept the drive going for Miami and they still couldn’t capitalize?!

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

If Miami was better than I am giving them credit for they would’ve capitalized on a team turning the ball over four times, no?  

So you're saying either Florida is a good team that made mistakes and got away with it, or they aren't a very good team, then? I only included that third option because it is plausible that Miami's defense is good enough that they forced four turnovers, but simultaneously, Florida's defense is good enough that they stopped Miami from capitalizing. Again, I didn't see the game, so I don't know, but you seem to be operating, to some extent, on the same presumed information that everyone else is: preseason rankings.

3 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

So you're saying either Florida is a good team that made mistakes and got away with it, or they aren't a very good team, then? I only included that third option because it is plausible that Miami's defense is good enough that they forced four turnovers, but simultaneously, Florida's defense is good enough that they stopped Miami from capitalizing. Again, I didn't see the game, so I don't know, but you seem to be operating, to some extent, on the same presumed information that everyone else is: preseason rankings.

I am saying based on that game I watched neither are quality teams. Miami is just less of a quality team. It’s really not that hard to understand I promise. Top ten teams don’t play like that and get way with it (most of the time). Against a quality opponent you will lose playing like that.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am saying based on that game I watched neither are quality teams. Miami is just less of a quality team. It’s really not that hard to understand I promise. Top ten teams don’t play like that, first game or not. 

Then why did you say Miami is a "much less quality team" if you weren't saying that Florida is better than they played and Miami isn't? 

4 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Then why did you say Miami is a "much less quality team" if you weren't saying that Florida is better than they played and Miami isn't? 

What are you talking about ? I don’t know how else to explain this. Miami did not play like a quality team. Neither did Florida. But Florida did enough to beat Miami. So that makes them better than Miami. 

Real world: a student makes a C on a test. Another student makes a D Just because the student who made a C did better than the one who made a D doesn’t mean he is a honor roll student. It just means he did better than the D student.

Likewise Florida. Just because they beat Miami doesn’t make them a quality team . It just means they are better than Miami. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

What are you talking about ? I don’t know how else to explain this. Miami did not play like a quality team. Neither did Florida. But Florida did enough to beat Miami. So that makes them better than Miami. 

Real world: a student makes a C on a test. Another student makes a D Just because the student who made a C did better than the one who made a D doesn’t mean he is a honor roll student. It just means he did better than the D student.

Likewise Florida. Just because they beat Miami doesn’t make them a quality team . It just means they are better than Miami. 

A D is less quality than a C, but it's not "much less quality," as you said in the initial post I quoted. In an attempt to degrade Florida for their mistakes, you seemed to be saying something more akin to Florida being an honor roll student that made a C, while Miami is just a D student, to use your analogy.

Whatever. We're arguing semantics now. I got the gist of where you're coming from, and hopefully you understand this post enough to get the gist of where I was coming from, as well.

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

A D is less quality than a C, but it's not "much less quality," as you said in the initial post I quoted. In an attempt to degrade Florida for their mistakes, you seemed to be saying something more akin to Florida being an honor roll student that made a C, while Miami is just a D student, to use your analogy.

Whatever. We're arguing semantics now. I got the gist of where you're coming from, and hopefully you understand this post enough to get the gist of where I was coming from, as well.

No you are clearly over thinking it . Take the rankings away. Look at the the game , both teams played bad. One team had to win. It was UF. It’s pretty simple. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

No you are clearly over thinking it . Take the rankings away. Look at the the game , both teams played bad. One team had to win. It was UF. It’s pretty simple. 

*Sigh* I'm not overthinking anything. I'm reading what you wrote the way you wrote it. If you didn't mean that Miami is "much less quality," why did you write that, instead of simply writing "less quality?" The difference is in degree of separation, and you were making it sound like Miami is far inferior, rather than simply being a bit more bad.

It was the first big game of the season and UF is a team that AU will face in a few weeks, so I chose to watched the entire game.

BOTH teams played like crap with tons of mistakes, turnovers, penalties, and players acting like thugs.  Neither team was "quality", UF tried their hardest to give that game away and Miami refused to take the W.

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

*Sigh* I'm not overthinking anything. I'm reading what you wrote the way you wrote it. If you didn't mean that Miami is "much less quality," why did you write that, instead of simply writing "less quality?" The difference is in degree of separation, and you were making it sound like Miami is far inferior, rather than simply being a bit more bad.

God is that what’s you are so hung up on? The point is Florida did not look like a quality team! Them playing us in the swamp means absolutely nothing unless they tremendously get much better. 

7 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Florida was in their first game. I wouldnt put much if any stock in anyone's first game...

Yep.....and Mullen is not a bad coach.....as the season goes on, they will look and be better than they appeared in that first game IMO.....

3 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Watch the game Red and draw your own conclusions.  The terms "much less quality" and "less quality" will be a moot point.  It was a s#!tshow all the way around.

Just now, Rednilla said:

Do you seriously not get what I was saying, or are you being intentionally obtuse because you want to be right while I am wrong?

I don’t think anybody understands you. I do know you have been arguing about quality of schedule and what most of us are telling you is 

1. Preseason rankings don’t mean a thing 

2. Based on the game we saw the other day, UF is doesn’t look up to par as a quality opponent 

if you want to get hung up on semantics that’s fine. I choose not to. 

Archived