Is '8-5' Gus Malzahn due for a big year?

RunInRed

Here’s what will happen. Gus will go 10-3 or 11-2 this year and people will forgive him. In 2020 when we lose our whole offensive line and major pieces of the defensive line we will go 7-6. Then we finally fire him. 

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

uga football was 8-5 in 2013. That's not really good. And we required a massive, inexplicable mistake by their DB (not Matthews, contrary to popular belief) to beat them. 

I didn't remember them being just 8-5...I thought they were in the top 10 when we played them? Also, I've always considered that "answered prayer" to truly be divinely inspired due to UGA's QB not actually getting the ball across the line on 4th and goal, but there not being enough evidence to conclusively prove that he didn't. If we hadn't gotten the miracle, I'd still be screaming about that play.

2 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

Here’s what will happen. Gus will go 10-3 or 11-2 this year and people will forgive him. In 2020 when we lose our whole offensive line and major pieces of the defensive line we will go 7-6. Then we finally fire him. 

Certainly a possibility.

4 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I didn't remember them being just 8-5...I thought they were in the top 10 when we played them? Also, I've always considered that "answered prayer" to truly be divinely inspired due to UGA's QB not actually getting the ball across the line on 4th and goal, but there not being enough evidence to conclusively prove that he didn't. If we hadn't gotten the miracle, I'd still be screaming about that play.

Agree with you about Murray not crossing the goal line and don't disagree that it was a good win in Gus's first year, but uga was not a particularly good team at that point. And, no matter what, 2013 was 6 years ago. It's not really relevant to anything happening now. 

And that's the problem. Gus's best season- by a 2-win margin- happened well before any current players or coordinators were on campus. It's simply not relevant to any current or recent evaluation of his job performance. 

I consider this to be a "cycle up" kind of year.    An all-senior O-line, a slew of defensive players that could have jumped ship but came back this year, an inexperienced but extremely talented QB.     If we can't do better than 8-4 THIS year, then there's not much hope in the near future.     

8 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Look at their record and refresh your memory. They had already lost 3 games (Clemson/Mizzou/Vandy) by the time the DSOR rolled around. 

UGA was definitely not top 10.  They finished 8-5, or as some of our rivals now call it, they turned in an "Auburnish" season.😒

This defense is the kind that wins games.  Our offensive line seemed to have finally gelled at the end of last season.  We can expect big things from Boobie and the other RBs as well as the talented troop of receivers.  Special teams are solid.  The only unknown will be the play of a highly-touted freshman QB.  Can we take consolation in the fact that Gus chose Bo over a very talented Gatewood?  Will Bo be the next in a series of freshman QBs who've made a mark in the college game?  And how many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?

23 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

Accurate 

9 minutes ago, keesler said:

Look at their record and refresh your memory. They had already lost 3 games (Clemson/Mizzou/Vandy) by the time the DSOR rolled around. 

UGA was definitely not top 10.  They finished 8-5, or as some of our rivals now call it, they turned in an "Auburnish" season.😒

I will say this... As frustrating as the last few seasons have been, if it's true that "Auburnish" is now a thing, then I hope that at least it's compared to "Clemsoning" since now instead of inexplicable losses, they're enjoying a yearly top 5 status and playoff appearances. 😀

tenor.gif

🙏

I think better things will come in the near future, but I have zero faith that the current crew will be the guys to get it done.

One more rant....I'm sick and tired of media pundits saying AU fans just want Gus gone because of what that other school is doing these days.     What most AU fans want is not to see a 4, 5 or 6 in the Loss column every year.      With the money, tradition and resources AU has, we shouldn't put up with it.   Our rivals wouldn't and neither should we.     

21 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

One more rant....I'm sick and tired of media pundits saying AU fans just want Gus gone because of what that other school is doing these days.     What most AU fans want is not to see a 4, 5 or 6 in the Loss column every year.      With the money, tradition and resources AU has, we shouldn't put up with it.   Our rivals wouldn't and neither should we.     

14 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Dabo or Orgeron?:dunno: :roflol:

These. So much. 

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Not Being embarrassed shouldn’t save him. We need to start winning these games. He is getting paid top dollar to do much more than that. 

Don't know that not being embarrassed should save Gus- its just my gut feel for how it will play out. I think it would only kick the can down the road another year.

2 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

LSU/UF/aTm/UAT/UGA will not tolerate 25 losses in 5 yrs from a staff pulling a top 5 salary while they're hauling in talent at a never before seen level at Auburn.

I know we've talked about this in previous threads and ad nauseam, but if/when Gus is fired in 2020 my first calls would be to Dave Aranda, Brent Venables, Shane Beamer, and Urban Meyer if they are still available by then. However, only one of them would be deserving of the salary Malzahn is making now. The other 3 would be wait and see options which seems to be our specialty here so it'd likely be them. Who knows maybe I'm way off and 2020 sees us topple both thUGA and the turds since both their QBs will be gone in the draft and Malzahn regains his play calling mojo and is here for another 3-5 years. :dunno:

10 hours ago, tbone1430 said:

I know we've talked about this in previous threads and ad nauseam, but if/when Gus is fired in 2020 my first calls would be to Dave Aranda, Brent Venables, Shane Beamer, and Urban Meyer if they are still available by then. However, only one of them would be deserving of the salary Malzahn is making now. The other 3 would be wait and see options which seems to be our specialty here so it'd likely be them. Who knows maybe I'm way off and 2020 sees us topple both thUGA and the turds since both their QBs will be gone in the draft and Malzahn regains his play calling mojo and is here for another 3-5 years. :dunno:

Well supposedly we have a coach in waiting. Either way, super preliminary for this discussion. Just ready for some auburn football now .

I only want Gus to not wait until after the LSU game to not play scared and conservative, (That's when he gets shook and keeps his foot on the gas for 6 - 7 games straight). Start the season as if LSU just put a 40 burger on him in a game 5. 

On 8/27/2019 at 9:52 AM, Rednilla said:

I was sitting in that end zone., the ball never crossed the goal-line.

On 8/27/2019 at 10:29 AM, keesler said:

🙏

I think better things will come in the near future, but I have zero faith that the current crew will be the guys to get it done.

Agree but I do have some hope. Being an Auburn football fan these days is like being a kid that is at the age where you still want to believe in Santa Claus but your common sense tells you that your friends are right. There isn't one. 

On 8/27/2019 at 9:52 AM, tbone1430 said:

On 8/27/2019 at 11:29 AM, 1auburn1 said:

Yeah I'm not sure that Auburn wants to be setting the bar as far as paying coaches to go away. 

As of right now, the largest buy out ever paid by a school was when Notre Dame paid Charlie Weis basically 19 million to go away. 

If Auburn fires Gus after the 2019 season we will owe him 26.625 million... Mind you the largest buy out ever paid was just under 19 million. 

I'm no Gus fan, not by a long shot. But that's a record I HIGHLY DOUBT Auburn University wants to set. 

11 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Yeah I'm not sure that Auburn wants to be setting the bar as far as paying coaches to go away. 

As of right now, the largest buy out ever paid by a school was when Notre Dame paid Charlie Weis basically 19 million to go away. 

If Auburn fires Gus after the 2019 season we will owe him 26.625 million... Mind you the largest buy out ever paid was just under 19 million. 

I'm no Gus fan, not by a long shot. But that's a record I HIGHLY DOUBT Auburn University wants to set. 

I agree with you, it's too much.  And in reality, that buyout doesn't get affordable until 2022-2023.

2019 salary  $6.8mm  buyout $26.6mm

2020 salary  $6.9mm  buyout $21.4

2021 salary  $7.0mm  buyout  $16.2

2022 salary  $7.1mm  buyout $10.8

2023  salary $7.2mm  buyout $5.5

It would be hard to fork out that kind of buyout while the Administration is scrimping, saving, and cutting budgets across the board and they still haven't even started the much needed facility upgrades.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

I agree with you, it's too much.  And in reality, that buyout doesn't get affordable until 2022-2023.

2019 salary  $6.8mm  buyout $26.6mm

2020 salary  $6.9mm  buyout $21.4

2021 salary  $7.0mm  buyout  $16.2

2022 salary  $7.1mm  buyout $10.8

2023  salary $7.2mm  buyout $5.5

It would be hard to fork out that kind of buyout while the Administration is scrimping, saving, and cutting budgets across the board and they still haven't even started the much needed facility upgrades.

It will take a very bad season, 7 wins or less, for Gus to get the axe imo.  I am not even sure if losing to aTm, LSU, UGA, and UA would do it.  The buyout for HC and all assistants is a bitter pill to swallow, especially when you consider the expense of the new HC and new assistants.  I'm not sure if it's feasible but I would hope a new HC would retain most or all of the defensive coaching staff if a move is made.

Archived