Is '8-5' Gus Malzahn due for a big year?

RunInRed

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

With this schedule, as long as the team always looks well prepared, confident & competitive, then 4 losses are understandable.  However, he's gotta beat at least one of the big 2 (IMO preferably thUga) for me to "want?" him back.  Not that what I want matters 😁.

Maybe lets just hope it does not get to that point. I really really don't want that to happen

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Concerning the schedule, I'm not sold on aTm, LSU or UF...yet.

Agree to an extent but all three are away games...............going to be tough....LSU seems to have Gus number

2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Maybe lets just hope it does not get to that point. I really really don't want that to happen

100% simpatico.  I'm wondering what beer (besides PBR, of course) goes with deep fried crow, Anchor Bar sauce & Bleu Cheese? 🤔

I hope to find out.

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Agree to an extent but all three are away games...............going to be tough....LSU seems to have Gus number

LSU has AUBURN'S number...

15 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Rent free. Lsu and the zebras are still lol'ing. 

I'm generally inclined to read along in  Aufamily and keep quiet, but tonight I have been sitting by the ice chest and wearing out the lid. So I'm in here chatting it up!

4 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Rent free. Lsu and the zebras are still lol'ing. 

I'm generally inclined to read along in  Aufamily and keep quiet, but tonight I have been sitting by the ice chest and wearing out the lid. So I'm in here chatting it up!

Well then lets party........my home golf course Rolling Hills CC. Ft Lauderdale

6 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Concerning the schedule, I'm not sold on aTm, LSU or UF...yet.

If Auburn were playing these teams at home this year, I'd pick Auburn all day. Still LSU, I think, will be the most difficult of the three in that they should be the most defensively sound team of the bunch, plus, Red Stick is always a difficult place to win... BUT... They do have question marks in the run game and with Burrow especially since they will be running a completely new (spread) offense this year (of course the caveat with that is we will be getting them in the latter half of the season so plenty of time to get acclimated). 

A&M would be the second biggest threat, depends on whether or not Kellen Mond has improved his passing game. And assuming they lose again to Clemson (@ Clemson no less) then they may be feeling the pressure to get a win out of Auburn.

Florida loses a lot of talent over on defense and I'm not sold on Franks as a quarterback. Personally I think they're overrated right now, but I do hope they don't slide too quickly before we play them. I think they're our best opportunity for a road win of the bunch. 

Its is the SEC west, the same games we play every year, and if Bo truly is ready, it will be a phenomenal year for football. I wish they wouldnt even rank teams until about the 5th week and see what everyone is made of.

That said, it is Auburn football so anything can happen.

12 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

All depends on how bad the four loses are. If we're close maybe but if they are blow outs he's gone

Hopefully we won't have to find out but the OL and FR QB have me a bit worried.

11 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

100% simpatico.  I'm wondering what beer (besides PBR, of course) goes with deep fried crow, Anchor Bar sauce & Bleu Cheese? 🤔

I hope to find out.

Go on... 

54 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Go on... 

https://www.anchorbar.com/store/specials/anchor-bar-wing-sauce-bottle.html

Living here, naturally we have lots of friends from (way) north of the Mason/Dixon Line including friends from Buffalo.

For anyone who doesn't know, but likes hot wings, apparently this is the true, original "Buffalo Wings" place, where it all started.

We have 6 games where AU should be the clear favorite and should win. The other 6, Oregon, LSU, Texas A&M, Florida, UGA and UA are going to be real tough. If Gus wins the 6 he should and half of the other 6 and goes 9-3, than I would be pleased with this record. Unfortunately, winning 8-9 games this year would put AU in a January bowl game and we all know what his record is during that month (0-4).

At the beginning of June I thought that if Gus finished 8-5 or 7-6 again, he would be gone. And at that time, I feel he absolutely would have been let go. However now there is something at play that wasn't at the start of June. That's a top 6 recruiting class. As long as this class holds together, I feel that will save Gus... regardless of record. 

Well... That is... As long as we don't have another 2012 type disaster...and I don't see that happening. This team is just too talented for that to happen. 

But... As long as we get average QB play, and we stay relatively healthy, we could very well be in for a VERY  big year... I just hope Bo is the truth so many of you think he is...and Tega and Driscoll stay healthy. As long as those 3 things happen... 10 wins isn't out of the question. 

19 hours ago, WDE0007 said:

Gus has the No. 1 dual threat QB in the country, which everybody keeps forgetting! 

What everyone ACTUALLY keeps forgetting is that Jarrett Stidham (who I don't think a person on this board would suggest was a true DTQB) was at one time the #2 DTQB out of high school and the #1 DTQB out of JUCO. 

Just because someone has the label as a DTQB, doesn't make them a TRUE DTQB. 

That said, I hope beyond hope Nix proves me wrong, but until I see him do it vs SEC defenses, I refuse to believe he is a true DTQB. Nix had like 300 yards rushing last year... in 6A Alabama football. That sure doesn't scream DTQB to me... But like I said, I hope he proves me wrong. Until then, to me, Nix is a smaller shorter version of Stidham with less arm strength. 

Also, and I could be wrong about this (if I am, someone please correct me,) but I am almost certain that Gus has never lost a game coming out of a bye week. If that's still true, that gives us a good chance to beat UGA. and going back to 2010, when we beat one we beat both. 

This could turn out to be a very good year for us...or we could see Gus at his average which means 8 wins. This team just seems too talented to only win 8.

16 hours ago, jAUSon said:

Most of us are willing to cede an ass-whooping along the way, be it a good dog fight where we came up short. But our guy doesn't always win the ones he's suppose too, and more often than not- his game plan and gametime decisions are directly to blame for the shortcomings. He owns some losses for sure.

It's a contest of momentum. There's room for another team to be a favorite beside uat and (saddly) thuga. Elbowing out a space as that dominant program is the real goal, and we're paying enough to require it. If we can't get that status with our money, we need to search for an answer, or pay less. 

I love this roster, and I believe in it. I think viewing the season at large (as a win-loss record) is not that important reguarding the continuance of CGM.. I believe this board and all those above us will have all our answers before the season is half-way over.

Got to win the ones you're suppose too. As a threshold- that ship has sailed imo.

Granted you said that you feel and not making a definitive statement, but think back to 2017. 

Had we decided what that season would look like before the season was half way over, and fired Gus after LSU, then the whole beating 2 #1 teams in 3 weeks wouldn't of happened. 

19 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

2013 vs MSU - W 24-20
2014 vs MSU - L 38-23
2015 vs MSU - L 17-9
2016 vs MSU - W 38-14
2017 vs MSU - W 49-10
2018 vs MSU - L 23-9

Yep.  Gus is 3-3 against Moo St.  Throw in 2012 and we have a losing record against a "middle-of-the-road-at-best" inferior opponent over the last 7 years.  In 2014 they had Dak, but that is still a game we should've won.  Last year was beyond unacceptable!  I can understand losing to teams like bama, LSU, and uga every other year (which would be an improvement), but Moo St is a game we should win every single year with a fluke loss once every 10 years are so maybe!

I think we'll go undefeated at home and IF we lose one, it will be on the road to A&M.  We are well over-due to beat LSU at their place, and I just don't think they will be that great offensively...again.

Florida...just not sold, but a couple weeks of play, just like every year, will change the perception of the schedule.  It's going to be a QB driven league in the next year or two, and I think we've got the best one.

10 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

I think we'll go undefeated at home and IF we lose one, it will be on the road to A&M.  We are well over-due to beat LSU at their place, and I just don't think they will be that great offensively...again.

Florida...just not sold, but a couple weeks of play, just like every year, will change the perception of the schedule.  It's going to be a QB driven league in the next year or two, and I think we've got the best one.

I actually watched LSUs spring game yesterday and honestly their new spread offense was kind of hot mess. Of course things could’ve changed since then. Still not overly impressed with Burrow as a QB. Same with Felipe at Florida 

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Until then, to me, Nix is a smaller shorter version of Stidham with less arm strength. 

Hopefully we don’t have to worry about overthrowing wide open receivers then like Stidham did 

4 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

What everyone ACTUALLY keeps forgetting is that Jarrett Stidham (who I don't think a person on this board would suggest was a true DTQB) was at one time the #2 DTQB out of high school and the #1 DTQB out of JUCO. 

That said, I hope beyond hope Nix proves me wrong, but until I see him do it vs SEC defenses, I refuse to believe he is a true DTQB. Nix had like 300 yards rushing last year... in 6A Alabama football. That sure doesn't scream DTQB to me... But like I said, I hope he proves me wrong. Until then, to me, Nix is a smaller shorter version of Stidham with less arm strength. 

Although Nix's current 40 time (4.60) is better than Stidham's current 40 time (4.81), I think a much more plausible metric for QB running ability is quickness. Being able to go from point A to point B very quickly, not necessarily just straight line speed. So, let's take a look at some of the best 20 yard shuttle times from the 2019 NFL combine. 

1.) David Long (CB, Michigan) - 3.97

2.) Taylor Rapp (S, Washington) - 3.99

3.) Marvell Tell (S, USC) - 4.01

4.) Cody Barton (LB, Utah) - 4.03

4.) Parris Campbell (WR, Ohio State) - 4.03

4.) Cody Thompson (WR, Toledo) - 4.03

7.) Dakota Allen (LB, Texas Tech) - 4.04

8.) Easton Stick (QB, NDSU) - 4.05

9.) Isaiah Johnson (CB, Houston) - 4.06

10.) Miles Boykin (WR, Notre Dame) - 4.07

These were the 10 fastest guys in the 20 yard shuttle. A total of 212 players ran the 20 yard shuttle. 

To get a better idea of how fast this is, let's look at some notable 20 yard shuttle times from a few notable AU DT QBs to come through AU

Cam Newton - 4.18     Link

Nick Marshall - 4.15    Link

Jarrett Stidham - 4.33      Link

*******Bo Nix runs a 20 yard shuttle time of 4.06. That would be tied for the 9th fastest overall at the NFL Combine in 2019 out of 212 players and 2nd fastest by a QB. It is also faster than Jarrett Stidham, Cam Newton, and Nick Marshall. LINK

Combine numbers found here: Link

Short answer is “yes”. Don’t get to hyped on those initial rankings they usually don’t hold up. I can name a few from last year like AU that was #10 preseason , how did that work out?  Our team can stand toe to toe with anyone on the schedule. Every game is winnable .

I kind of wish Auburn fans would...heck...I dunno...keep some perspective? Auburn year in and year out since I became a fan at age 11 back in 1972 plays one of the toughest schedules in the nation.  Pat Dye used to talk about "Amen Corner."  Why "Amen Corner"?  I think because the idea of closing with Florida, Georgia and Alabama every season would cause any coach to pray.

Our Tigers play LSU, Georgia and Alabama every year and since aTm has joined the league, well, we get them too. And historically the AU Tigers have not exactly shied away from playing tough teams from outside the SEC. If Shug Jordan was the coach in the modern era, his name wouldn't be on the stadium. He'd have been run out of town.

How many current SEC coaches own more than one win over Nick $aban's Alabama teams? One. Just one.

8-5? I'm still on the bus. 5-8? I get off the bus. Malzahn is not a perfect coach but I tell you what, just about every offensive record at AU is owned by a Malzahn coached team. And now we have a pretty goood defensive coordinator and a pretty stout defense.

I think our Tigers have a big year. I'm looking at 11-1 or 10-2 in regular season. Whether that gets our Tigers to the SEC Championship and a shot at the CFP is a thing I can't begin to know.  But I'll be there rooting every step of the way.

Yup. Fire up the bus. Full speed ahead.

War Eagle!

4 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

And I watched Nix in the spring, and regardless of the 'no contact' rule, when he scrambled, I felt he was quicker than JS, but not by much but much shiftier. He, to me, is not the high level DT like the Watson's, Hurt, Murray's of college football. 

As you said 300 yds is not much for a DT, but remember his Dad is grooming him for the NFL and he knows his QB skills HAVE to rely on building him into a NFL passing QB. So that tells me his dad didn't want him to run much in HS and he had high level passing skills  that he was showcasing. 

Archived