Is '8-5' Gus Malzahn due for a big year?

RunInRed

52 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

I kind of wish Auburn fans would...heck...I dunno...keep some perspective? Auburn year in and year out since I became a fan at age 11 back in 1972 plays one of the toughest schedules in the nation.  Pat Dye used to talk about "Amen Corner."  Why "Amen Corner"?  I think because the idea of closing with Florida, Georgia and Alabama every season would cause any coach to pray.

Our Tigers play LSU, Georgia and Alabama every year and since aTm has joined the league, well, we get them too. And historically the AU Tigers have not exactly shied away from playing tough teams from outside the SEC. If Shug Jordan was the coach in the modern era, his name wouldn't be on the stadium. He'd have been run out of town.

How many current SEC coaches own more than one win over Nick $aban's Alabama teams? One. Just one.

8-5? I'm still on the bus. 5-8? I get off the bus. Malzahn is not a perfect coach but I tell you what, just about every offensive record at AU is owned by a Malzahn coached team. And now we have a pretty goood defensive coordinator and a pretty stout defense.

I think our Tigers have a big year. I'm looking at 11-1 or 10-2 in regular season. Whether that gets our Tigers to the SEC Championship and a shot at the CFP is a thing I can't begin to know.  But I'll be there rooting every step of the way.

Yup. Fire up the bus. Full speed ahead.

War Eagle!

But remember this....Malzahn is second longest tenuring SEC coach and he is in a division(West) of only 6 other teams that play Alabama every year. Malzahn is at 6 years and all the other SEC West teams half 2 or less years in the SEC so it is understandable that GM would have had the best chance of beating Alabama just bc of number of years.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

But remember this....Malzahn is second longest tenuring SEC coach and he is in a division(West) of only 6 other teams that play Alabama every year. Malzahn is at 6 years and all the other SEC West teams half 2 or less years in the SEC so it is understandable that GM would have had the best chance of beating Alabama just bc of number of years.

Get back to me when another current SEC West coach has so much as one.  Malzahn is a better coach that Tommy Tubverville in my estimation. (Yup. Tubs. Fear the thumb and all that. How long did Tubs last once $aban was the bammer coach? How well did he do anywhere other than AU when he left?)  Anyway...a big part of the reason so many current SEC West coaches are new is the previous coaches were unable to beat bammer. Ask Les Miles.

I like Malzahn. I think he's growing into the role.  I'm looking forward to the season. Our Tigers beat bammer this year. Again.

2 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Get back to me when another current SEC West coach has so much as one.  Malzahn is a better coach that Tommy Tubverville in my estimation. (Yup. Tubs. Fear the thumb and all that. How long did Tubs last once $aban was the bammer coach? How well did he do anywhere other than AU when he left?)  Anyway...a big part of the reason so many current SEC West coaches are new is the previous coaches were unable to beat bammer. Ask Les Miles.

I like Malzahn. I think he's growing into the role.  I'm looking forward to the season. Our Tigers beat bammer this year. Again.

Well said. He’s made a couple peculiar decisions this offseason and they could make or break him, but everything that he stands for is first class imo. We do have a rough schedule, but he keeps his players believing. His staff recruits all kinds of backgrounds, but yet he keeps our players disciplined. He has also gone out of his way to welcome back former players to the program, and has made some hires that strengthened the Auburn culture. 

It feels like he is on the brink of breaking through. The one snag is he took back play calling and I don’t know if that leads to great play caller Gus or not. He gave up play calling duties because calling the game got frustrating for him, but I believe a lot of that was because he realized he didn’t have the players that could make his offense go. He does now, so we will see. Every since he basically bet on himself in January, I’ve grown more open to Arthur Gustavo Malzahn. 

12 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well said. He’s made a couple peculiar decisions this offseason and they could make or break him, but everything that he stands for is first class imo. We do have a rough schedule, but he keeps his players believing. His staff recruits all kinds of backgrounds, but yet he keeps our players disciplined. He has also gone out of his way to welcome back former players to the program, and has made some hires that strengthened the Auburn culture. 

It feels like he is on the brink of breaking through. The one snag is he took back play calling and I don’t know if that leads to great play caller Gus or not. He gave up play calling duties because calling the game got frustrating for him, but I believe a lot of that was because he realized he didn’t have the players that could make his offense go. He does now, so we will see. Every since he basically bet on himself in January, I’ve grown more open to Arthur Gustavo Malzahn. 

I agree w/ most of what you are saying..but the one area that I have to see this year, that concerns me IS Gus' play calling.

I also thought his frustration when his offensive plays and results were not producing in those years after 2013 was that defenses were learning his tendencies and finding his weaknesses and the rules somewhat changed to restrict the HUNH offense.

So here we are back w/ him doing what he loves again....but did he find ways in his offensive planning, substituting and play calling to counteract those SEC coaches that had found a way to stop his offenses and struggle to win important games outside of 2017?  

AU plays the Big 4 of TAMU, LSU, GEORGIA and bama every year. Since there is not much room for error, the 'formula' to win 9 games is pretty simple. You HAVE to go 8-0 in the Group of 8 games to give yourself a fighting chance so you can't afford to give any of them away. Go 8-0 there, then 1-3 vs the Big 4, and you have your 9 wins. But for every game you lose to the Group of 8, another win is needed from the Big 4. 

11 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I also thought his frustration when his offensive plays and results were not producing in those years after 2013 was that defenses were learning his tendencies and finding his weaknesses and the rules somewhat changed to restrict the HUNH offense.

Could be and I hope he’s adapted to the rules since then. I know he had SEC officials officiate 2 minute drills last week. That might’ve helped him too.

I honestly think JJ did a number on him and left him without a sword in the fight.

27 minutes ago, steeleagle said:
46 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I agree w/ most of what you are saying..but the one area that I have to see this year, that concerns me IS Gus' play calling.

So here we are back w/ him doing what he loves again....but did he find ways in his offensive planning, substituting and play calling to counteract those SEC coaches that had found a way to stop his offenses and struggle to win important games outside of 2017?  

Outta reactions but two excellent posts!

The Gus Bus is rolling in this thread! Glad I’m not a loner and I’m picking all of y’all up! Let’s Gooooo 

CFECB764-872E-4407-A81E-A02A1B2B6D3A.jpeg

1 hour ago, IronMan70 said:

AU plays the Big 4 of TAMU, LSU, GEORGIA and bama every year. Since there is not much room for error, the 'formula' to win 9 games is pretty simple. You HAVE to go 8-0 in the Group of 8 games to give yourself a fighting chance and you can't give any of them away. Go 8-0, then 1-3 vs the Big 4, and you have your 9 wins. But for every game lost to the Group of 8, another win is needed from the Big 4. 

The worst part is the talent is there to do that, stuff like losing to MSU and UT can’t be accepted. I feel like 2017 should be close to the norm, winning 1 out of ATM/LSU, and ideally splitting UGA/UA. 9-3 is somewhere around where I’d have us just based off talent and how the schedule is now with those latter two separated 

9 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

https://www.anchorbar.com/store/specials/anchor-bar-wing-sauce-bottle.html

Living here, naturally we have lots of friends from (way) north of the Mason/Dixon Line including friends from Buffalo.

For anyone who doesn't know, but likes hot wings, apparently this is the true, original "Buffalo Wings" place, where it all started.

It was called the Anchor Grill. Me and my family used to eat there  during WWII. Thank goodness we moved south to Bham.

39 minutes ago, Slammer1 said:

It was called the Anchor Grill. Me and my family used to eat there  during WWII. Thank goodness we moved south to Bham.

Ah, gotcha.  Not sure if this is the bar section of the Anchor Grill or if they're even related but at least I had "Anchor" right, LOL!

4 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Although Nix's current 40 time (4.60) is better than Stidham's current 40 time (4.81), I think a much more plausible metric for QB running ability is quickness. Being able to go from point A to point B very quickly, not necessarily just straight line speed. So, let's take a look at some of the best 20 yard shuttle times from the 2019 NFL combine. 

1.) David Long (CB, Michigan) - 3.97

2.) Taylor Rapp (S, Washington) - 3.99

3.) Marvell Tell (S, USC) - 4.01

4.) Cody Barton (LB, Utah) - 4.03

4.) Parris Campbell (WR, Ohio State) - 4.03

4.) Cody Thompson (WR, Toledo) - 4.03

7.) Dakota Allen (LB, Texas Tech) - 4.04

8.) Easton Stick (QB, NDSU) - 4.05

9.) Isaiah Johnson (CB, Houston) - 4.06

10.) Miles Boykin (WR, Notre Dame) - 4.07

These were the 10 fastest guys in the 20 yard shuttle. A total of 212 players ran the 20 yard shuttle. 

To get a better idea of how fast this is, let's look at some notable 20 yard shuttle times from a few notable AU DT QBs to come through AU

Cam Newton - 4.18     Link

Nick Marshall - 4.15    Link

Jarrett Stidham - 4.33      Link

*******Bo Nix runs a 20 yard shuttle time of 4.06. That would be tied for the 9th fastest overall at the NFL Combine in 2019 out of 212 players and 2nd fastest by a QB. It is also faster than Jarrett Stidham, Cam Newton, and Nick Marshall. LINK

Combine numbers found here: Link

Thats a cool story. But you are using high school stats vs combine stats. At one time Stidham ran like a 4.6 40. But combine stats (things like 40 times and shuttle times) are always less flattering than high school/hand timed college stats. 

And i dont care what numbers you or anyone links. Any link claiming Nix is as fast (or faster) than Nick Marshall is flawed. Straight line speed or short range bursts. 

Again, im not taking anything away from Nix. I hope he succeeds and turns out to be as quick as Anthony Schwartz, but im not gonna hold my breath.

On 8/21/2019 at 2:58 PM, WDE0007 said:

The last time I felt this good prior to the season was 2013...I certainly didn't think that season would go the way it did, but how many fans did? :) 

Gus has the No. 1 dual threat QB in the country, which everybody keeps forgetting! He does best with a mobile QB who can throw, and he has that this year. So that, plus the loaded defense and offense...there's no reason for us to be 8-5. A 9-10 win season is definitely realistic. But we'll see how Oregon goes first. The 2016 season opener (Clemson) was the only time we lost the first game of the season in the Gus era (war flashbacks...*shudders*), so I feel good about it for the most part.

He does best when he has a runner who can consistently convert a third and short.

7 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Hopefully we don’t have to worry about overthrowing wide open receivers then like Stidham did 

lets hope. But you guys are acting like Nix is a 4th year starter already. He is a true freshman who has never taken a snap in college. 

Its like you guys learned NOTHING from the JJ6 situation. 

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

1)He, to me, is not the high level DT like the Watson's, Hurt, Murray's of college football. 

This is EXACTLY my point. People are acting like we have signed a Watson, Marshall, Hurts, or Murray. 

That isnt the QB Nix is in my opinion.

But so many like to remind people about Nix being the #1 DTQB... Like i said in my post, Stidham was a DTQB as well...The #2 DTQB and #1 DTQB to be precise.  And that is conveniently overlooked by SO many. 

What separating Gus from being a decent coach and a great coach is a few small things. 1. Quit trying to prove your a genius and just win the ball game. You have talent and a good coaching staff you don’t need tricks. #2 Quit playing scared to lose it will cost you more games than it will help you. Put your foot down on offense and keep it there till the horn blows. Years ago people were harping on Spurrier running up the score in people. Of course he used the line “ it’s there job to stop me, my job is to score”. But more important he said when he sent his offense in he expected them to preform each play as practiced . He said if he let his offense slack up tonight they might just slack up next week when they didn’t need too. If Gus can beat these two habits he could easily be on the same level as Dabo or Nick.

3 hours ago, Slammer1 said:

Me and my family used to eat there  during WWII.

Wow. Golf has some competition.

I'm over here lol'ing at how much people are putting into preseason rankings of teams we play. It almost always never pans out that way. It's the same teams we play every year. Away games will always be tougher,  but that goes for the other teams as well. If our guys are mentally prepared,  we definitely have the talent to compete with anyone. Gus has to let these guys play and not go super conservative or they don't have a chance.  We've been down this road before.  2010 and 2013, we were wide open letting it fly with aggressive tempo and playcalling. He needs to find that again or it won't matter. We have the defense to allow him to harness that aggressive playstyle if he would only take advantage of it.

On 8/21/2019 at 11:56 AM, AuCivilEng1 said:

Or if that Miss St game went our way last year. That was piss poor officiating at its finest.

Agreed but our defense just got ran over. No one was reliable that game

6 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

So beating Saban/Bama is literally you're only criteria for placing Gus ahead of Tuberville? 

Gus is getting paid more than any HC in Auburn history. Gus is currently the 5th highest paid FBS coach in the country. We sure are paying a lot of money for an 8-5 coach. How many 8-5 seasons are acceptable to you? I'd argue that expectations from Auburn fans were higher under Tuberville. Remember Jetgate happened when we went 8-5 in 2003. Then in 2008, Tuberville was swiftly let go after one sub par season. Gus has been given a much longer leash to be mediocre than Tuberville was. You can't deny that.

If Gus were only losing to Alabama/Saban but consistently beating everyone else or was even at least .500 against our other rivals, Gus's seat wouldn't be as hot as it is now. Being 2-5 against UGA, 2-4 against LSU, and 3-3 against Miss. St. are why Gus is on the heat. 

For the record, Tuberville was 5-5 against UGA, 5-5 against LSU, 4-1 against Tenn(when Tenn was still relevant), and 7-3 against a down Alabama. Imo, Gus is not better than Tuberville. It's a wash at best. But that's just my opinion.

On 8/21/2019 at 3:36 PM, tigerbrotha12 said:

Ah, you're correct, it's 3-3... I was counting 2014 for AU before I realized what game that was

a ripoff courtesy of our buddy Tom Ritter and crew...

3 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

lets hope. But you guys are acting like Nix is a 4th year starter already. He is a true freshman who has never taken a snap in college. 

Its like you guys learned NOTHING from the JJ6 situation. 

This is EXACTLY my point. People are acting like we have signed a Watson, Marshall, Hurts, or Murray. 

That isnt the QB Nix is in my opinion.

But so many like to remind people about Nix being the #1 DTQB... Like i said in my post, Stidham was a DTQB as well...The #2 DTQB and #1 DTQB to be precise.  And that is conveniently overlooked by SO many. 

Good post. Agreed. Let's pump the brakes, it's great that Gus broke some trends but we need to remember ... Look back at our recent history. Hell it took Nick Marshall like 6-7 games to show what he really was capable of

33 minutes ago, Viper said:

a ripoff courtesy of our buddy Tom Ritter and crew...

Man that really should've been at worst a 1 loss Auburn team going into UGA. We put ourselves into a hole against the cow suckers and A&M but they buried the hell out of us when we tried to work magic both times. Theres no team in my lifetime that got hosed quite like the 2014 one

If all things are equal, a non depressed 1 loss Auburn team desecrates Athens and they go into Tuscaloosa as the probable favorite in that game. IDK if anything could change how horrendous our defense was but at least we wouldnt have been playing for pride

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

What separating Gus from being a decent coach and a great coach is a few small things. 1. Quit trying to prove your a genius and just win the ball game. You have talent and a good coaching staff you don’t need tricks. #2 Quit playing scared to lose it will cost you more games than it will help you. Put your foot down on offense and keep it there till the horn blows. Years ago people were harping on Spurrier running up the score in people. Of course he used the line “ it’s there job to stop me, my job is to score”. But more important he said when he sent his offense in he expected them to preform each play as practiced . He said if he let his offense slack up tonight they might just slack up next week when they didn’t need too. If Gus can beat these two habits he could easily be on the same level as Dabo or Nick.

I agree with you  right up to the last sentence. One of Gus Malzahns problems is that he has a "base" offense.  It consists of five plays.  These five plays are what cost us the 2017 LSU game. They also to an extent cost us the 2016 Clemson game.  When Gus did his car interview with Brandon Marcello Gus stated that when he was a high school coach a close friend told him to have 5 or 6 plays that you run so well that no one can stop you.  Once  you have established those 5 plays you can start implementing other plays.  Marcello asked Malzahn if that is why we see him run it up the middle so much and Malzahn said YES.  The other four pays appear to be the two bubble screens( one his thrown to the right and the other to the left), read option and the deep ball.  Until Gus scraps that philosophy/mindset the offense is going to be painfully predictable. 

Another one of Gus Malzahns flaws is an absolute refuse to develop an intermittent passing game.

I will also bring up the elephant in the room that no one wants to address.   As of me typing this post, Gus has not developed a HS QB.

Also, in the last six seasons Gus has not added anything new to  his offense.  Chip adding a  couple of new passes does not count.

Of the 12 defenses we  will face this season, exactly zero will have to  practice covering our tight end.

Archived