Is '8-5' Gus Malzahn due for a big year?

RunInRed

1 hour ago, lala said:

AMEN.   That is the biggest issue, stupid losses

Stop losing to mediocre teams like Tennessee and MSU.  Hell, just win those two games last season and we would all feel a little differently about how the year went.  

I can handle losing to Bama, UGA, and even LSU if they are good.  What pisses me off with Gus is that he's 3-3 with teams like MSU.  Win the games we should win and compete in the others.  That's all I really ask.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, johnnyAU said:

Talk about not giving Stidham time. Dude hasn't even been in the NFL for a full preseason and the haters are already out. There is kind of a big difference between the league and college in case you hadn't noticed. He has plenty of skill, but he may make it or he may not. Lots of 'sure bet' QB's haven't. Much fewer have. 

I hope he is in the bigs for years and makes tons of money. More power to him.

And it's not like he is coming from a Jimbo, Harbaugh, or Shaw like pro-style offense that has prepared him adequately.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Stop losing to mediocre teams like Tennessee and MSU.  Hell, just win those two games last season and we would all feel a little differently about how the year went.  

I can handle losing to Bama, UGA, and even LSU if they are good.  What pisses me off with Gus is that he's 3-3 with teams like MSU.  Win the games we should win and compete in the others.  That's all I really ask.

And to be fair, the LSU game the last few years should've been wins as well. 

Really there are 3 teams that should be "toss ups" that we need to represent and compete. Unfortunately, TAMU is gonna be at an elite level by this or next year., Making it 4.

A really good team could easily have 4 losses at AU. Some rows are just tougher to how.

11 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Would’ve been nice if our defense played well against these offensively challenged teams as well. 

30 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Tennessee was 121st in YPG, Mississippi State was 84th. They combined for 814 total yards, 44 first downs, and one turnover. 

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Tennessee was 121st in YPG, Mississippi State was 84th. They combined for 814 total yards and one turnover. 

tenor.gif?itemid=7330726

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

tenor.gif

I can do this all day. If a mod wants to spam his own board, go for it.

9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I can do this all day. If a mod wants to spam his own board, go for it.

This was used in another thread, but it's application here is perfect.

Quit trying to perpetuate arguments that aren't even there. Your schtick is tiresome and transparent. Interacting with you is like stepping in gum. 

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Looks like I need to go back and edit my thread since I was predicting Gatewood to lead the way.  I stand by my predictions though.  

Just now, bigbird said:

It’s your board. Should I continue?

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Tennessee was 121st in YPG, Mississippi State was 84th. They combined for 814 total yards, 44 first downs, and one turnover. 

Of course, Auburn only had the ball for 18:07 vs 41:53 for MSU and only mustered 15 first downs, and turned the ball over twice

Auburn had the ball for ~26 mins vs ~34 mins vs UT, and turned it over three times.

That's a combined 44 mins vs 76 mins in TOP deficit, and 5 to 1 turnover deficit. 

Hard to win when you can't stay on the field or hold onto the ball huh?

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

Of course, Auburn only had the ball for 18:07 vs 41:53 for MSU and only mustered 15 first downs, and turned the ball over twice

Auburn had the ball for ~26 mins vs ~34 mins vs UT, and turned it over three times.

That's a combined 44 mins vs 76 mins in TOP deficit, and 5 to 1 turnover deficit. 

Hard to win when you can't hold onto the ball huh?

44 first downs given up says we had 44 opportunities to get the ball back.

And MSU had the best defense in the nation. 

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

It’s your board. Should I continue?

No, that's why I said, "quit". Try reading for comprehension.

Just so you don't get lost.

17 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Quit trying to perpetuate arguments that aren't even there. Your schtick is tiresome and transparent.

So, again...stop trying to start arguments or don't. It's your choice.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

And to be fair, the LSU game the last few years should've been wins as well. 

Really there are 3 teams that should be "toss ups" that we need to represent and compete. Unfortunately, TAMU is gonna be at an elite level by this or next year., Making it 4.

A really good team could easily have 4 losses at AU. Some rows are just tougher to how.

Gus was outcoached by a better coach in both LSU losses.

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Gus was outcoached by a better coach in both LSU losses.

Even so, we were in position to win and should've.

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

44 first downs given up says we had 44 opportunities to get the ball back.

I see that we gave up a combined 38 first downs and mustered 37 ourselves. We just couldn't stay on the field offensively and kept coughing it up. Our D was gassed in the second halves. 

Archived