Is '8-5' Gus Malzahn due for a big year?

RunInRed

18 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I’m not a Gus defender, but most of the time DBs knew where the ball was going because Stidham would stare down receivers 

Absolute nonsense.  Gus is a great QB developer.  Just look at Cam!  Problem was Stidham refused  too listen to Gus and developed"mental" issues!  Right?  Am I right?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

I love it.  Orgeron isnt the better coach but is 2-0 against Gus.  Orgeron is 19-7/11-5 SEC over the last two seasons.  Gus is 18-9/10-7 over the last two seasons. Yet Gus is the better coach.   Gus is  on the hot seat Orgeron isnt. 

I never said Gus is the better coach did I? I don't believe there is much difference. They are both average. LSU has been loaded with a ton of NFL caliber talent over the past dozen years, second only to Bama. The average W-L record from 2005-2015 under Les Miles was 10-3. The average for 2017-2018 under Orgeron is 9.5-3.5.  He has almost maintained what was already established. We'll see how long he can sustain it.

At Ole Miss, he followed Cutcliffe who averaged about 7-5. Big O managed an average of 3-8 over his 3 seasons. 

"Orgeron isnt the better coach but is 2-0 against Gus."  Heck, I'm not sure either Tuberville or Chizik ever lost to Urban Meyer. Are they better coaches? Silly logic.

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Not saying YOU haven't, but I have never seen anyone suggest the schedule isn't that one of the most difficult in the country. 

Who has said this? They should be put on blast. 

That's absurd to even think, much less vocalize.

Someone on here (I think...it might have been in a Facebook group) made out like the schedule wasn't all that big a deal, and that was fresh in my mind.

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Not saying YOU haven't, but I have never seen anyone suggest the schedule isn't that one of the most difficult in the country. 

Who has said this? They should be put on blast. 

That's absurd to even think, much less vocalize.

This is what sparked my comment:

On 8/21/2019 at 1:42 PM, Win4AU said:

I remember saying in 2014 if only Auburn had a defense half as good as the offense they’d be unstoppable.  Now in 2019 I’m saying if the offense can be half as good as the defense this team can be unstoppable.  Schedule is tough but not the murders row people are projecting.  Let’s see how things look against a good Oregon team and go from there.  

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

Absolute nonsense.  Gus is a great QB developer.  Just look at Cam!  Problem was Stidham refused  too listen to Gus and developed"mental" issues!  Right?  Am I right?

So far Stidham looks like he should have been a first round choice. Do I think he got there like that? No. He always had the talent just wasn’t used in the right way. I think Dilly will be much better with our QBs. Just my thought.

7 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Someone on here (I think...it might have been in a Facebook group) made out like the schedule wasn't all that big a deal, and that was fresh in my mind.

I tell you this, I bet you that the players aren’t laying awake at night worrying about this schedule. Not much different that last year playing most of the same teams and swapping Oregon for Washington. Everybody adding Florida as a powerhouse. Excuse me the team I saw last night that beat Miami wasn’t a powerhouse. Washington was supposed to be a championship team also last year and how did they work out?  These guys truely believe they have the talent to beat every team on their schedule. In fact I’m sure they plan on beating every one of them. As long as we play in the SEC and take on at least one more P5 team our schedule will always be tough, that’s life in the big league. If you can’t run with the big dogs then just stay on the porch. 😁

4 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I tell you this, I bet you that the players aren’t laying awake at night worrying about this schedule. Not much different that last year playing most of the same teams and swapping Oregon for Washington. Everybody adding Florida as a powerhouse. Excuse me the team I saw last night that beat Miami wasn’t a powerhouse. Washington was supposed to be a championship team also last year and how did they work out?  These guys truely believe they have the talent to beat every team on their schedule. In fact I’m sure they plan on beating every one of them. As long as we play in the SEC and take on at least one more P5 team our schedule will always be tough, that’s life in the big league. If you can’t run with the big dogs then just stay on the porch. 😁

I'd be worried if the players were lying in bed worrying about the schedule rather than worrying about being the best they can be, but that doesn't mean the schedule isn't among the toughest in the nation. Yes, we play in the SEC, and that's tough. What makes it worse is that we play in the SEC Western Division. What makes it even worse than that is our permanent opponent from the East is Georgia, and they're at a height of their program. Florida may not be up to snuff for a top 10 team. Or, alternatively, they could have had first game jitters. Or, then again, they could have bought into their press clippings and thought Miami was going to be an easy victory.

Whatever the case, we've got to go to the Swamp to play them, and that's no easy task. Neither is going to Death Valley or the Home of the 12th Man. Not a walk in the park to play UAT or UGA at home, either. Oh, and that Washington team from last year won the Pac-12, so they were a championship team, they just hit a couple of bumps along the way.

I read an article not too long ago about how Gus has the toughest job in America. He's positioned across the state from a blue blood program who's at an all time high, as well as playing Georgia every year to go along with the rest of the SEC schedule and the annual out of conference Power 5 contest. Compare that to Bama, who plays Duke out of conference, Tennessee as their permanent East opponent (and Tennessee ain't exactly Tennessee these days), along with Kentucky out of the east. And Malzahn has the expectations of winning 10 games every year.

Now, none of this is to suggest that we lack the wherewithal to manhandle the schedule. It's just to acknowledge that Auburn plays among the toughest schedules in the nation year in and year out. Having a former national champion coach in College Station doesn't help matters, either, because now we get the other two traditional SEC powers along with a revamped TAMU team. Acting like our schedule isn't really that big a deal is lunacy.

I never said the schedule isn’t a big deal.  I simply said I didn’t think some of the teams are going to be as good as they were being projected.  Prime example is Florida.  I’m sure they’ll be better by the time Auburn plays them but they didn’t look like a top 10 team.  Their Oline is Swiss cheese.  They could very well have 2 losses when Auburn arrives.  I think Mullen is one of the most overrated coaches in the country and they’ll end up 8-5 or worse this season.  Texas A&M is yet to be seen but they lost most of their defensive front and their top two producers on offense.  I also think they’ll be around a 8-5 team.  Oregon makes me nervous because they can neutralize Auburn’s biggest strength.  Georgia and Bama will be Georgia and Bama.  By the time Auburn gets to November if it has any momentum they could stay in those games to the very end.  

4 hours ago, Rednilla said:

This is what sparked my comment:

Yeah I had seen that... I forgot about seeing it... absolutely astonishing

Florida is crap. Get off the hype. Their QB play is porous. Defense is very much inconsistent and make a ton of mental mistakes. If they had played a half component team they would be unranked this next week. 

The tough schedule is why a team from the SEC west can actually make the playoff with one maybe two loses. Look what Pearl has done with BB. Great players want to play against great teams. You here them all the time say “ this is what I signed for.”

On 8/24/2019 at 3:36 PM, johnnyAU said:

Stidham made some mistakes certainly, and of course our DB's couldn't handle the taller WR's on jump balls, which was most of their offense. However, Pruitt also know what plays were coming, and where the ball was going to on many occasions because Gus is stubborn and predictable. You can see him calling where it was headed on more than one occasion on video. 

Then the Coaches need to recruit taller DBs...

You are trying to cover CGM when he cant be covered. This is his team with his players. If it isnt successful, that's on him. 

4 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Then the Coaches need to recruit taller DBs...

You are trying to cover CGM when he cant be covered. This is his team with his players. If it isnt successful, that's on him. 

I think you are missing my point and the theme of the back and forth. No way am I covering CGM, his coaching or recruiting.  My point was that we lost those two games more due to lack of offense than defense, and that is supposed to be his bread and butter. 

Just now, johnnyAU said:

I think you are missing my point and the theme of the back and forth. No way am I covering CGM, his coaching or recruiting.  My point was that we lost those two games more due to lack of offense than defense, and that is supposed to be his bread and butter. 

Whatever it is, we need to adjust to the reality. We are not happy at 8 or 9 wins. I dont see CGM committed to doing what it takes to get the job done anymore. 

On 8/24/2019 at 3:00 PM, dyehardfanAU said:

a better coach

Wasn't the HC. Coach Bench Press is a great recruiter but a meh gameday coach.

17 hours ago, DAG said:

Florida is crap. Get off the hype. Their QB play is porous. Defense is very much inconsistent and make a ton of mental mistakes. If they had played a half component team they would be unranked this next week. 

Shut down UF's running game like Miami did and we saw what happened.  Felipe will be miserable in the Swamp when AU's dline gets in his face.

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Shut down UF's running game like Miami did and we saw what happened.  Felipe will be miserable in the Swamp when AU's dline gets in his face.

I couldn’t believe how bad he looked and he had the audacity to be showing off on the sidelines . Like bro, you had about 4 turnovers that game. 

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

Wasn't the HC. Coach Bench Press is a great recruiter but a meh gameday coach.

Disagree. He lets his coordinators coach while he encourages and motivates.

20 hours ago, DAG said:

Heck, had that been us, and we had won, we probably would’ve dropped to 23. Lol

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yeah. If a guy wins, he's a good coach. Doesn't matter which part of the job he's best or worst at. 

As for O vs Gus, Gus was 100% outcoached in 2017. 2018 is a little less cut and dry... maybe...

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I couldn’t believe how bad he looked and he had the audacity to be showing off on the sidelines . Like bro, you had about 4 turnovers that game. 

Talking smack to his own fans and taunting the crowd.  In the post game interview he said he was "in his zone".......Mullen needs to bench his butt for a few weeks and adjust his attitude.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Exactly my point. If our coach got outcoached it was by their OC &/or DC, not Coach O.  He’s a recruiter who is essentially a figurehead for the team. 

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Exactly my point. If our coach got outcoached it was by their OC &/or DC, not Coach O.  He’s a recruiter who is essentially a figurehead for the team. 

It's hard to accept that Steve Ensminger out coached Gus Malzhan though.  :puke:

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

O hired those guys and he let them do their jobs. Gus interfered with his OC and we lost. O outcoached Gus. 

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

It's hard to accept that Steve Ensminger out coached Gus Malzhan though.  :puke:

That would of been Arandas D going against our O. 

Ensminger woulda out coached Steeles D.

Which is equally as puzzling.

4 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

That would of been Arandas D going against our O. 

Ensminger woulda out coached Steeles D.

Which is equally as puzzling.

Dave Aranda against Chip Lindsey coupled with Gus' input.

Steve Ensminger against Kevin Steele.

Archived