What’s next for Joey?

aubiefifty

10 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Generally, Joey may be brought in for 3rd and short and GL situations, but the threat of pass is still there which should be like taking candy from a baby if the defense is expecting a power run. 

If I had to guess, that threat is just as much underestimated as Nix’s wheels. 

I doubt this seriously. If Joey comes in it will be to rest Bo. Joey will run the same offense that Bo does. This will “NOT” be like what happened with Malik or Cord last year. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm actually a fan of this idea. I know you typically want a clear leader, but we have two very good QBs who have slightly different strengths but can run the same offense. Having a 1a and a 1b, with 1b getting enough reps to be able to step in at any time might give us a little security in a league where players can get pretty beat up.

I could see that perhaps we have a sort of season long QB battle.

As Chris Todd had explained it, it's not that either quarterback is worse than the other but with Bo behind Center the ball gets moved down the field more.

What exactly does that mean? Hard to say but it could mean that with a little improvement we could see Joey take the reigns after the midseason Bye or perhaps more likely next season.

I think it comes down to passing. A JG who can throw the ball almost as good as Bo Nix still gets the edge because of a reliable power run game. And in my opinion would have been ideal.

Simply put Bo was the more developed QB coming into the competition which is why I was kinda hoping that JG would've outperformed. That said, if he can develop his passing skills more then no question JG has more upside and I'm hoping a) the Offensive staff is open to keeping the competition open and b) Joey sticks around to compete.

That said, I think we know JG's ceiling and we should be excited if Bo Nix has outperformed it. Time will tell.

14 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I doubt this seriously. If Joey comes in it will be to rest Bo. Joey will run the same offense that Bo does. This will “NOT” be like what happened with Malik or Cord last year. 

did you forget the yellow font???

15 hours ago, Apraser99 said:

I'll tell you what is next....he will be brought in in predictable situations and get hammered because the defense knows exactly what is coming....seen it too many times with Gus.

We've seen this happen several times.  It's hard to think otherwise.  However, what keeps me holding on to hope this time (as foolish as I may be) is that I hope, unlike all the times before, this time Gus has confidence that both QBs can run the entire offense.  So although each QB will have different tendencies (as well as the play calling when each QB is in), we will catch defenses off guard because Gus is willing to call any play in the playbook regardless of which QB is in the game. 

13 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

We've seen this happen several times.  It's hard to think otherwise.  However, what keeps me holding on to hope this time (as foolish as I may be) is that I hope, unlike all the times before, this time Gus has confidence that both QBs can run the entire offense.  So although each QB will have different tendencies (as well as the play calling when each QB is in), we will catch defenses off guard because Gus is willing to call any play in the playbook regardless of which QB is in the game. 

Agreed.

Joey was close to winning the job. He's not Malik Willis. 

A lot of variables at play, folks. Always. Open your minds up a little. 

Would not surprise me to see him lead a TD drive in the Oregon game.'   Meanwhile, AU probably would run the same "offense" with either QB on the field but I would hope the plays that are called would emphasize the strength of each guy. 

18 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Hopefully we will have some big leads and Gus will get JG some true QB snaps, instead of bringing him in to hand off to RBs up the middle. I think the fact that he burned his redshirt will likely keep him in the fold until he’s a grad transfer, as long as Gus gives him some quality backup snaps. 

I wish so , too, but Gus seldom lets the back-up QB have any throws , even in a blowout game. Kept waiting for JG to air it out during the last part of the Music City Bowl.

Just to show those naysayers let me ask a question. Did Gus allow SW to run the same offense as JJ when he came of the bench? The answer is yes he did. So quit comparing apples to oranges. Joey is not an experimental QB. Look at his performance at A Day against that of Bo’s . He was every bit as good as Bo and had it been live it would have shown his wheels even better. Don’t get me wrong the coach has to make a choice and he went with Bo but Bo would be the first to tell yo not to under estimate Joey. My guess and hope is Joey as well as Bo will have a long TD drive against the Ducks.

15 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Just to show those naysayers let me ask a question. Did Gus allow SW to run the same offense as JJ when he came of the bench? The answer is yes he did. So quit comparing apples to oranges. Joey is not an experimental QB. Look at his performance at A Day against that of Bo’s . He was every bit as good as Bo and had it been live it would have shown his wheels even better. Don’t get me wrong the coach has to make a choice and he went with Bo but Bo would be the first to tell yo not to under estimate Joey. My guess and hope is Joey as well as Bo will have a long TD drive against the Ducks.

Yeah. Some folks seem to think that Joey will be used like Willis as though he and Malik are the same guy. Just like they assumed John Franklin III would be our starter as though he and Nick Marshall were the same guy. Much less their relative competition for the job. 

It's weird how much fans can oversimplify these things. But also how we can overcomplicate them. Sigh. We've got so far yet to go. 

Next for JG is to play the role that Pat Nix (father of Bo) played as number two to Stan White, and that role is to be ready to come in and win the game for the AU Tigers should Bo go down in a game.

It's a team game. JG is going to be a team player.

War Eagle!

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. Some folks seem to think that Joey will be used like Willis

Who?

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Who?

Well.... This guy, for one...

V

haverchuck.gif

44 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I don't have any issue with your general premise. 

Again,  I'm not disagreeing but only want to point out that White and Johnson were actually night & day different as QBs.  Matter of fact THEY were like apples to oranges and maybe Gus SHOULD have run different offenses between them.

Bo & Joey, to me, are probably a lot more comparable to each other than not (certainly much more similar than SW & JJ).  Outside of a few tweaks, such as ZR fakes and Wildcat plays, I see no reason why they can't both run the same Offense.  

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I don't have any issue with your general premise. 

Again,  I'm not disagreeing but only want to point out that White and Johnson were actually night & day different as QBs.  Matter of fact THEY were like apples to oranges and maybe Gus SHOULD have run different offenses between them.

Bo & Joey, to me, are probably a lot more comparable to each other than not (certainly much more similar than SW & JJ).  Outside of a few tweaks, such as ZR fakes and Wildcat plays, I see no reason why they can't both run the same Offense.  

Whatever it is he’s saying, I don’t know,  but it didn’t make sense to call me a naysayer of Joey. lol

I definitely don’t want Joey to play a Malik Willis or Cord role. That’s how he will get processed out of the system. Joey is a capable QB that can do a lot of things well. At the very least he can do short yardage situations and GL, and do those things well- because once again, he can also pass if the defense is keying on a power run. 

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Agree.....and I don't see Gus just using JG to run out the clock.  JG seems to be a solid and promising back-up and capable of directing the team in an emergency or otherwise.   JMO but early on the coaches decided MW was not going to be the heir apparent or even an alternate starter......and decided to keep it simple with him and not give him the full play book....which was probably the correct thing to do. 

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Agree.....and I don't see Gus just using JG to run out the clock.  JG seems to be a solid and promising back-up and capable of directing the team in an emergency or otherwise.   JMO but early on the coaches decided MW was not going to be the heir apparent or even an alternate starter......and decided to keep it simple with him and not give him the full play book....which was probably the correct thing to do. 

Yes, after seeing his demeanor in the MCB and his poise in A-Day, I was Team Joey all the way.  Matter of fact, I converted after those performances as before that I was unimpressed (not that I had enough good info on him).

So, with that said, I'm now Go Bo Go but I absolutely have all the confidence in Joey to be the starter, if necessary.  As always with me, Gus is the Wildcard, but IMO Auburn has an outstanding embarrassment of riches in the Skill Positions. 

What will Joey do? Hmmmm. My guess is he will continue to work towards a degree at Auburn University and also play some football. He seems to be a great young man. Don’t sell him short. 

Depends but if he's as good as they say he should make sure he plays and play at QB. Don't switch positions

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Depends but if he's as good as they say he should make sure he plays and play at QB. Don't switch positions

This. In absolutely no way, shape, or form should Joey switch positions. His upside is tremendous and Gus damn well better give him legitimate chances to develop in game as a qb. 

5 hours ago, PUB78 said:

I wish so , too, but Gus seldom lets the back-up QB have any throws , even in a blowout game. Kept waiting for JG to air it out during the last part of the Music City Bowl.

He should've played the entire 4th quarter.

3 hours ago, WarTim said:

What will Joey do? Hmmmm. My guess is he will continue to work towards a degree at Auburn University and also play some football. He seems to be a great young man. Don’t sell him short. 

If he wants to play QB then the honorable thing would be to wish him well, if Bo does match his potential. There is no reason for him to be back up to a true freshman. However, if he wants to stay at AU that much than more power to him. I would think if this was the case though he would pull a Braxton Miller. 

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

If he wants to play QB then the honorable thing would be to wish him well, if Bo does match his potential. There is no reason for him to be back up to a true freshman. However, if he wants to stay at AU that much than more power to him. I would think if this was the case though he would pull a Braxton Miller. 

Maybe the honorable thing to do is support the young man and HIS decisions. We need not try to assume anything. He is a teenager. He has my support as well as ALL of his teammates. 

Just now, WarTim said:

Maybe the honorable thing to do is support the young man and HIS decisions. We need not try to assume anything. He is a teenager. He has my support as well as ALL of his teammates. 

Are you accusing me of not doing that? 

Archived