What’s next for Joey?

aubiefifty

5 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Keep in mind, one of the things Gus gets accused of (even by the Sunshine Crew) is overthinking things & getting too cute, thinking he's outsmarting everybody.

Please don't overthink for him, lest we end up with another Whirlybird disaster.

Excellent point.

As @bigbird pointed out, there are templates for ways to use a guy like Joey. We've even used them ourselves. Doesn't necessarily mean Gus, as you say, isn't going to try to reinvent the wheel anyway. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, triangletiger said:

My understanding is that Joey is on track to graduate in May.  

He's a redshirt freshman.  Damn...what kind of class load has he been taking? On track to graduate in May? He needs to give up football and go with a genius grant. ;) 

On 8/23/2019 at 7:35 AM, triangletiger said:

My understanding is that Joey is on track to graduate in May.  Assuming things go as planned and Bo retains the starting QB job all this season, it would make sense for Joey to stay at Auburn and get his degree in May.  This would allow him to be a graduate transfer with 2 years of eligibility remaining, thereby avoiding having to sit out a season.  I’m sure there are a ton of teams that would be clamoring for him to sign with them under those circumstances.

Of course, selfishly, I would like him to stay at Auburn for his full eligibility, but he needs to do what’s in his own best-interest.

Where’d you get that info about his graduation status?

13 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

He's a redshirt freshman.  Damn...what kind of class load has he been taking? On track to graduate in May? He needs to give up football and go with a genius grant. ;) 

14 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

In fairness triangle said he was on track to graduate in May but he didn't say which year. :big:  Maybe that's where the 2 years eligibility came in. 

On 8/23/2019 at 9:44 AM, bigbird said:

I like Joey and think he has such a wide skill set that he could help the team in many ways. So much so that he deserves to be utilized in a much bigger role than back up QB. We should put him on the field in many capacities. Doing so does not limit him from being backup QB or implementing his QB packages. 

I don't know if I agree. Of course it really depends on how good of a QB he is and I certainly don't know but I think that if he legit has a chance to be a good QB he should follow that path. 

I think him doing other stuff just leads to people saying he can't be a QB. If he is really good if I was him I'd go somewhere where I have a legit shot at playing QB if it's not here. Sooner or later actually in another year or so, people will say it's too late for him being a QB. 

And if he's not a good QB then I'd look at maybe doing some other stuff. Him probably tight end but that's if he has that skill set. 

I feel far too many times if a guy is athletic he isn't given the time to become good before he's moved. Also it sucks that our coach's history isn't putting in the back ups and letting them play. 

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Also it sucks that our coach's history isn't putting in the back ups and letting them play. 

This year is the first season Gus has been at Auburn he has 2 QBs that are even close in talent.  Couple this with a new QB coach that is young and energetic, and we might see this trend reversed. Only time will tell.  Hoping for the best.

32 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And if he's not a good QB then I'd look at maybe doing some other stuff. Him probably tight end but that's if he has that skill set. 

I feel far too many times if a guy is athletic he isn't given the time to become good before he's moved. Also it sucks that our coach's history isn't putting in the back ups and letting them play. 

I understand a player wanting a certain position. That said, at some point Joey needs to be able to beat out the other QBs on the roster. I'm not saying he can't be a good QB just he hasn't taken the spot from anyone yet...in HS or at AU. If his dream is to play QB no matter what, then he needs to either out work Bo and take it from him or needs to find another school. I hope he does what's best for him and selfishly I hope he stays at AU.

He is uber-talented. His athleticism and leadership could be a huge asset to the team on and off the field. As a coach your always looking to get your best on the field in any capacity. Joey needs to be on the field. IMO, His athleticism would be a immediate upgrade to our TE and passing game. It also allows us to be able to run our wildcat without any substitutions. That flexibility makes us more dynamic.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I understand a player wanting a certain position. That said, at some point Joey needs to be able to beat out the other QBs in the roster. I'm not saying he can't be a good QB just he hasn't taken the spot from anyone yet in HS or at AU. If his dream is to play QB no matter what, then he needs to either out work Bo or needs to find another school. I hope he does what's best for him and selfishly I hope he stays at AU.

He is uber-talented. His athleticism and leadership could be a huge asset to the team on and off the field. As a coach your always looking to get your best on the field in any capacity. Joey needs to be on the field. IMO, His athleticism would be a immediate upgrade to our TE and passing game. It also allows us to be able to run our wildcat without any substitutions. That flexibility makes us more dynamic.

All true statements for sure. I think the biggest issue for JG as Bird says, is that he has not beat anyone out for QB in high school or college. Say what you will but if he had been the best QB (passer) in HS he would have been the full time QB there. I think BN was far more advanced to QB play than JG based on being a full time HS QB.

I would have loved JG to be the guy because he is a true DT QB

39 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

All true statements for sure. I think the biggest issue for JG as Bird says, is that he has not beat anyone out for QB in high school or college. Say what you will but if he had been the best QB (passer) in HS he would have been the full time QB there. I think BN was far more advanced to QB play than JG based on being a full time HS QB.

I would have loved JG to be the guy because he is a true DT QB

Great post. 100% accurate. Joey is too good an athlete to sit. Hope it all works out for him and Auburn. 

6 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Great post. 100% accurate. Joey is too good an athlete to sit. Hope it all works out for him and Auburn. 

If he feels his goal is to get to the NFL...he may find making it as a QB may not be the way to get there. 

Since HS and now going into his 2nd year in college he still hasnt been the starter or the #1 QB to get all the reps needed to gain experience and skill. If he doesn't supplant Nix this year, I feel he needs to transfer or move to a position that suits him. With his height and strength, he should possibly learn to be a NFL calibre TE but he needs  now or at least the next 2 years to work on that new position. 

I want him to succeed as he stuck with AU since his early HS years, so I hope he helps us this year....so we will see.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

I understand a player wanting a certain position. That said, at some point Joey needs to be able to beat out the other QBs on the roster. I'm not saying he can't be a good QB just he hasn't taken the spot from anyone yet...in HS or at AU. If his dream is to play QB no matter what, then he needs to either out work Bo and take it from him or needs to find another school. I hope he does what's best for him and selfishly I hope he stays at AU.

I agree with that but so far he's been somewhat cheated by the system so to speak. If you read some post some people say he's been here two years...did he really get reps his first year here? If he would've been able to get started at being a QB last year would that have helped him this year? How if this year he plays another position when does he get better at QB? And come on let's be real even if he works and get to a place where he's good enough is he going to unseat Bo? 

It's either he has potential to play the position or he doesn't, if he does he needs to be where he is allowed to play....that includes make mistakes if not he doesn't need to playing QB. Being late in this decision can't do anything but hurt him. 

But let's say if Bo had lost this battle people wouldn't be talking about if he's a QB and should he play other positions, it would be it's just a matter of time before he plays and when he does he may be an NFL talent....

JG can't do that so he needs to be somewhere to show somebody hey I'm good, I can do this soon or his door closes. 

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And come on let's be real even if he works and get to a place where he's good enough is he going to unseat Bo? 

If better, why wouldn't he?

But let's say if Bo had lost this battle people wouldn't be talking about if he's a QB and should he play other positions

Except Bo doesn't have the potential to excell at other positions. Joey does. He is gifted with size and athleticism that allow his talents to translate across a wider spectrum of positions. JMO

If you read some post some people say he's been here two years...did he really get reps his first year here? If he would've been able to get started at being a QB last year would that have helped him this year?

Not being here and zero reps last year didn't seem to hurt Bo.

Joey has been here longer. That allowed him exposure to the playbook which is a huge advantage. He also had a year in the weight room and locker room. Both lead to increase in chemistry with the other players. I don't know how much he was used or how many reps he got in practices last year but even if it was almost nothing he entered the QB competition with a leg up.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying JG can't be a great QB. I just think he has the potential to help the team in another position...while still being the back up QB.

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Except Bo doesn't have the potential to excell at other positions. Joey does. He is gifted with size and athleticism that allow his talents to translate across a wider spectrum of positions. JMO

Joey has been here longer. That allowed him exposure to the playbook which is a huge advantage. He also had a year in the weight room and locker room. Both lead to increase in chemistry with the other players. I don't know how much he was used or how many reps he got in practices last year but even if it was almost nothing he entered the QB competition with a leg up.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying JG can't be a great QB. I just think he has the potential to help the team in another position...while still being the back up QB.

Well zero reps didn't hurt Bo as he was a 4 year starter.....when you have everything but playing time it don't hurt the guy with a bunch of playing time.

I should've put this in order but as far as the first question why would he shoot up to being head and shoulders better than Bo? And if he was to get close or tie or even a little better now Bo will have a year in the system and actual playing time.

And people have posted that Bo has a bunch of athleticism but nobody expects him to play anything else. 

As far as the playbook I'm not going to think Bo came in and didn't know anything. I'm thinking with who his dad is and I'm pretty sure I read Bo said it's stuff he ran in high school meanwhile Joey was here trying to earn his number on his back. 

And just making myself clear I'm not saying JG should just be a QB and that's it as I don't even know if he can throw the ball accurately. And I'm not trying to start a Bo or jg thing. I used Bo's name to show how he's a QB and that's it. I wasn't trying to compare the two as far as the QB battle itself. I'm saying JG is not afforded the opportunity that most QB 's get so he needs to do something sooner rather than later. And playing another position is a trap as far as you won't be playing QB

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And just making myself clear I'm not saying JG should just be a QB and that's it as I don't even know if he can throw the ball accurately. And I'm not trying to start a Bo or jg thing. I used Bo's name to show how he's a QB and that's it. I wasn't trying to compare the two as far as the QB battle itself. I'm saying JG is not afforded the opportunity that most QB 's get so he needs to do something sooner rather than later. And playing another position is a trap as far as you won't be playing QB

I absolutely don't think you were doing that. So no need to worry about that with me.

I disagree with the bolded part. For me, being here in the program for almost 2 years, no matter what, gives him ample opportunity to succeed over an incoming Freshman. A lot of his issues last year were self inflicted. To me, that is what diminished his opportunities last year not a purposeful slight to hold him back.

I thought Joey was going to take it and I was perfectly happy with that. Unfortunately for him Bo's passing was insurmountable...which might be a great thing for AU.

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

This year is the first season Gus has been at Auburn he has 2 QBs that are even close in talent.  Couple this with a new QB coach that is young and energetic, and we might see this trend reversed. Only time will tell.  Hoping for the best.

So do I!

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I absolutely don't think you were doing that. So no need to worry about that with me.

I disagree with the bolded part. For me, being here in the program for almost 2 years, no matter what, gives him ample opportunity to succeed over an incoming Freshman. A lot of his issues last year were self inflicted. To me, that is what diminished his opportunities last year not a purposeful slight to hold him back.

I thought Joey was going to take it and I was perfectly happy with that. Unfortunately for him Bo's passing was insurmountable...which might be a great thing for AU.

On the bolded part it's not I'm saying it's personal, I'm saying most QB's that are deemed athletic don't get the time to sit back and perfect their craft compared to others

22 minutes ago, cole256 said:

On the bolded part it's not I'm saying it's personal, I'm saying most QB's that are deemed athletic don't get the time to sit back and perfect their craft compared to others

Why do you think that is? I disagree but if correct, I would think it's because everyone one relies on their athleticism as opposed to their "skill". If so, then coaches and players need to be cognizant of that and try to develop the skills better. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

This^^^^^^^^^^.............I could see where people may think Bo may have an advantage because his father played...........but honestly if that were the case Pat Sullivan, Jr. may have actually seen the field.........To be clear I don't think that is what Cole means by Gatewood not having a chance.

Gatewood has everything I love in a Qb......height and athleticism and I too selfishly want him to stay at AU.......whatever he decides I wish him much success.

10 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I heard it on one of the Auburn podcasts (maybe the Locked On Auburn podcast?) earlier this week.  I don’t know if it’s true or not, but it would be possible if he got college credit for some of his classes in high school.  I may have misunderstood and they meant May of 2021.

On 8/22/2019 at 10:03 AM, JBiGGiE said:

I could see that perhaps we have a sort of season long QB battle.

As Chris Todd had explained it, it's not that either quarterback is worse than the other but with Bo behind Center the ball gets moved down the field more.

What exactly does that mean? Hard to say but it could mean that with a little improvement we could see Joey take the reigns after the midseason Bye or perhaps more likely next season.

I think it comes down to passing. A JG who can throw the ball almost as good as Bo Nix still gets the edge because of a reliable power run game. And in my opinion would have been ideal.

Simply put Bo was the more developed QB coming into the competition which is why I was kinda hoping that JG would've outperformed. That said, if he can develop his passing skills more then no question JG has more upside and I'm hoping a) the Offensive staff is open to keeping the competition open and b) Joey sticks around to compete.

That said, I think we know JG's ceiling and we should be excited if Bo Nix has outperformed it. Time will tell.

Athletically, you are correct. However, playing quarterback has a lot to do with what's between the ears, too. Not saying Joey doesn't have that or that Nix does, just pointing out that there are more variables in play than passing touch and running power.

On 8/24/2019 at 1:40 PM, bigbird said:

That would be awesome, making the max out of an "up-tempo" setting.

7 minutes ago, au701948 said:

That would be awesome, making the max out of an "up-tempo" setting.

Yep. In order to maximize the HUNH, we need to be able to flex to multiple formations utilizing the same personnel. Which means we need HBs that can play RB or TE, Backs that can flex to HB and WR, or WR that can come in and line up in the backfield. I think we have those on the roster.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Yep. In order to maximize the HUNH, we need to be able to flex to multiple formations utilizing the same personnel. Which means we need HBs that can play RB or TE, Backs that can flex to HB and WR, or WR that can come in and line up in the backfield. I think we have those on the roster.

I agree with getting your best players on the field but it’s also vital that we have an 2nd string QB ready to go and hopefully able to run the offense as close to the #1 QB . That’s the problem Gus is fac d with. You have to give him enough reps to be #1 if needed but at the same time don’t put him in a situation that could get him injured either. So my hope is Joey comes in to rest Bo and runs the same offense and packages. Not just against inferior opponents. I know it’s a tough order but I’m sure Gus and Dilly understand what they need to do. 

I just can't wrap my head around the fact that entering his.....what....7th year.....that we have no experienced QB. You think that for 49 mill you'd get a coach that was better prepared. I hope Nix is the next coming of Trevor Lawrence but I have my doubts...WDE anyway!!

Archived