New for 2019 College Football Uniforms

AUsince72

https://amp.businessinsider.com/new-college-football-uniforms-and-throwbacks-2019-8

I tried to copy & paste but the photos wouldn't paste.

So, click the link if you're interested 😀

• WarTiger changed the title to New for 2019 College Football Uniforms

20 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

https://amp.businessinsider.com/new-college-football-uniforms-and-throwbacks-2019-8

Some of the dumb things:

The Cincinnati pants.

Arkansas posing with a baseball bat.

Baylor changing the gold color, does Leath work there now?

I guess the short pants serve a purpose but they look goofy and seem like a good way to have a knee injury. 

I like the look of the mesh number on Notre Dame's and it makes me wonder if doing the front and back of the jersey would be reminiscent of the early '70's mesh jerseys that we like 72?

9 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Some of the dumb things:

The Cincinnati pants.

I guess the short pants serve a purpose but they look goofy and seem like a good way to have a knee injury. 

I like the look of the mesh number on Notre Dame's and it makes me wonder if doing the front and back of the jersey would be reminiscent of the early '70's mesh jerseys that we like 72?

I agree with everything you said.

More things of note:

Lots of teams going to throwbacks this season.  Even most of the new unis are more traditional (or throwback) and I really like most of the looks.  Yes, ND using that faux mesh is a nice touch!

Of the more modern looks, I actually liked the Mich State look with the neon green.  Reminds me of the Seahawks look...

On a side note.  I REALLY liked the Baylor Volleyball look. 😉😉😉

Oregon uniforms are like the Taco Bell menu to me. They just keep reconfiguring the same few ingredients and calling it different things.

West Virginia and Washington low key have a couple of the best general aesthetics in the country IMO.

I'm sorry, but how was the Michigan State alt uni not the very first monstrosity pick apart in this thread?! 🤣

22 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

i think the skull and bones on nebs uni's are cool and will be until they get stomped by someone.lol

On 8/23/2019 at 1:39 PM, gr82be said:

Some of the dumb things:

The Cincinnati pants.

The baseball bat thing is an homage to the Darren McFadden era uniforms when Houston Nutt told them to "bring the wood" in a win over #1 LSU in 2007.

Image result for darren mcfadden baseball bat

If teams want to go the throwback route, I'm okay with that. Some of those throwback uniforms are really good, IMO. But I'm hoping Auburn doesn't jump on that bandwagon. I like Auburn's traditional scheme, with the occasional minor changes.

That said, unless the NCAA rule book was changed for this season, players will not look like that in games. Last I heard, NCAA had a rule requiring the knees be covered and knee pads in place. I saw some players ignoring the rule last season, but NCAA actually sent out a memo to conferences that the rule was to be vigorously enforced.

WarTiger, do you have an update on this?

I like the ND uniforms (but I like Notre Dame so), theBC uniforms, and the Vandy uniform preview. 

guess i am too old school.  most of this is nonsense.  

michigan st looks arena league or nfl europe.  louisville with NO red.  BIG RED with black jerseys (understanding their attempt, but a fail to me).  Vandy = black and gold, so lets have grey uniforms!

Ya know, being an old geezer I understand the affinity for tradition and all that. But putting myself in the shoes of 18 year old kids, lovin hip hop and the current styles, I can see why these kinds of uniforms appeal to them.

Recruiting is a really tough arena. Some teams like UGA, Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc, spend literally millions of dollars on recruiting. Most scools don't have that kind of budget. How do they compete with all the other 2nd tier and 3rd tier schools? Maybe they hope that their uniforms and team "image" makes a difference.

Bama, Penn State, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas, etc --- the schools with the cred of long traditions of championships, are not going to go that route. Other schools look for some sort of edge.

If it inspires players and fans, I say Go With It!

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

Did you know that the N on the Nebraska helmet stands for Nowledge.

It's true.

Speaking of Nebraska:

Area codes on helmets allow Huskers to represent pride in their origins

CHRIS BASNETT Lincoln Journal Star

Sep 5, 2018

Nebraska quarterback Matt Masker is one of eight players with a 308 area code "bumper" on the front of his helmet.

NATI HARNIK, The Associated Press

Eric Lee had a decision to make. 

Would the Nebraska defensive back choose 402? Or maybe 303 or 720? Or how about 617?

Lee is well-traveled, having lived in Lincoln for a time as a child and attending Hartley Elementary School while his father, Eric Sr., earned his doctorate from UNL. He spent time in Massachusetts. He went to high school in Colorado. So there were plenty of options when it came to choosing which area code to display on the front of his helmet.

No matter which he chose, there would be important symbolism behind it.

And that's what makes the newest addition to Nebraska's uniforms so intriguing. It's a small thing in the broader picture of this Nebraska football season. But it's an addition that holds great importance to many of the players and coaches who will take the field Saturday against Colorado.

Lee chose 617, one of the area codes for Boston. Just like 402 or 308 for Nebraskans, or 303 for the Denver-area natives, the numbers represent an important part of Lee's life.

"My biggest thing is, Boston, that’s where I started to grow up and started to love the game and stuff like that. I hold those people near and dear to my heart," Lee said earlier this week. "So that’s why — not a whole lot of people come out of there for football. It’s more of a basketball-hockey place. So I always try to commemorate those people and just know that I’m always thinking about them and I appreciate all they’ve done for me."

Scott Frost's staff started the practice of putting area codes on the "bumper" part of the helmet — the small plastic piece just above the facemask — at Central Florida, where last season backup quarterback Noah Vedral repped the 402 and starter McKenzie Milton shined a spotlight on 808 (Hawaii) as he became a national sensation.

Nebraska's players and coaches will represent 59 area codes this season. There are 52 helmets with the 402 on the front. 

In the lead-up to last Saturday's game that wasn't, Frost and NU chief of staff Gerrod Lambrecht, both Wood River natives, sported the 308, which covers roughly the western two-thirds of the state, on their red Huskers caps.

They were part of a select group. A scan of Nebraska's roster shows just eight players from the 308 area code: Ty Chaffin (Burwell), Jordan Paup (Central City), Conor Young (Cozad), Bennett Folkers (Gothenburg), Matt Masker and Isaiah Stalbird (Kearney), Matt Jarzynka (Loup City) and Bryson Krull (North Platte).

Being able to represent Loup City or Gothenburg or Lincoln or Gretna means a lot for the Nebraska players on the roster. It means plenty for the players who crossed Nebraska's borders to play as well.

5b907e4adfdda.image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I really like Syracuse white jersey.  It would be sort of fun if we had our white jerseys for one game like theirs.  We need to have one week in the SEC where teams can wear throwback jerseys. It will not happen, but it would be fun.

Archived