Oregon defense

bigbird

Interesting.  All the shifting and changing formations is going to put a lot of pressure on the OL and QB to make the correct reads.  I'd love to see a similar breakdown of Steele's defense.

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Ok. I’ll kick it off: if you were OC how do you plan to attack this defense? What are you going to do with your OL to attack the DL? Passing concepts/rout combos you plan to use to most effect?

There are also many articles coming out of the west coast questioning why the heck Oregon is as high as #11. Pointing out little things like 44-14 butt whipping by Arizona and not being ranked since week #8 then suddenly launching up the pre season polls. True, the sports media worships Cristobal but I agree - we should wax these guys if Bo has even a mediocre outing.

2 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

There are also many articles coming out of the west coast questioning why the heck Oregon is as high as #11. Pointing out little things like 44-14 butt whipping by Arizona and not being ranked since week #8 then suddenly launching up the pre season polls. True, the sports media worships Cristobal but I agree - we should wax these guys if Bo has even a mediocre outing.

I'm going to say it like I've been saying it: don't sleep on Oregon. They have their entire offensive line back, along with 17 or 18 starters on offense and defense and arguably the best NFL QB prospect in college football, so we have to bring our A game to Jerry World.

That said, I've got a funny feeling we're going to win 41-17. I'll take a 1 point victory, but for whatever reason I think we're going to hit a stalemate with their offense (which is saying something considering how good our defense should be) and tear their defense a new one.

6 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

In an earlier post, I predicted we would lose to both Oregon and ATM to start a downward spiral ending in the demise of Gus.  I guess I have to stick with that. 

But I agree with what is stated above.  Seems to me that ESPN and other media purposely manipulate the polls to increase viewership and this is especially true of west coast teams.  Last year Washington was the early season darling.

So I'm not super confident of my prediction that Auburn will lose to Oregon.  Hopefully, Auburn (and especially the OL) makes a big statement to me and the nation on Saturday night.

4 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I'm going to say it like I've been saying it: don't sleep on Oregon. They have their entire offensive line back, along with 17 or 18 starters on offense and defense and arguably the best NFL QB prospect in college football, so we have to bring our A game to Jerry World.

That said, I've got a funny feeling we're going to win 41-17. I'll take a 1 point victory, but for whatever reason I think we're going to hit a stalemate with their offense (which is saying something considering how good our defense should be) and tear their defense a new one.

Don’t sleep on oregon

I have a feeling we will win by 3 Tds

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c8973a2835d24786b2f7fa

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Don’t sleep on oregon

I have a feeling we will win by 3 Tds

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c8973a2835d24786b2f7fa

I know, they're completely contradictory statements, but that's how I feel. If we go in entitled and thinking we're going to run up the score, they have the talent to bring us back down to earth. But if we go in with a quiet confidence, I think we can beat them into the ground. Does that make more sense?

8 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

The west coast is desperate for respectability...right now Oregon and Utah are their "hope" so lots of positives about both of them.  Last night Arizona got beat by Hawaii....so the Pac12 is off to a bad start for the year.

If Oregon's defense is able to keep AU under 24, I invite you to send me a dinner of crow...COD.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

The west coast is desperate for respectability...right now Oregon and Utah are their "hope" so lots of positives about both of them.  Last night Arizona got beat by Hawaii....so the Pac12 is off to a bad start for the year.

If Oregon's defense is able to keep AU under 24, I invite you to send me a dinner of crow...COD.

Sumlin May be the first coach canned this season.  I’ll chalk it up to week zero but between this game and the Florida game their had to be 10+ turnovers combined.   Gus’s Head would explode 

Oregon's defense was adequate last year now the question is will a new DC help the Defense or not. It is really a two part question even if the new DC does help the Defense will the players have learned it well enough and bought into it well enough to help much in the first game of the season.  I am mildly optimistic that we will have a good Offensive performance and that our D strength (D-Line) will overcome their O Strength (O-Line) 

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Oregon's defense was adequate last year now the question is will a new DC help the Defense or not. It is really a two part question even if the new DC does help the Defense will the players have learned it well enough and bought into it well enough to help much in the first game of the season.  I am mildly optimistic that we will have a good Offensive performance and that our D strength (D-Line) will overcome their O Strength (O-Line) 

Just hoping all you guys are right and we have a Defense that shows up and delivers as advertised (no sleeping into the 2nd Quarter) and  a very successful Offense.

I think this being the first game helps the Oregon D somewhat. I think if it's the 2nd or 3rd game, we would roll. Still curious to see how it plays out. If not for the first game unknowns, I would be very confident.

19 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

I think this being the first game helps the Oregon D somewhat. I think if it's the 2nd or 3rd game, we would roll. Still curious to see how it plays out. If not for the first game unknowns, I would be very confident.

I agree D is usually ahead of O at beginning of the season. That said they have a new DC so their D may be on a learning curve also. Our D is on same system for last few years with mostly veteran players so if it holds that D is usually better at beginning of the year our experienced D should have the advantage. 

At least that is what I am hoping for. 

On 8/24/2019 at 11:25 PM, fredst said:

Ok. I’ll kick it off: if you were OC how do you plan to attack this defense? What are you going to do with your OL to attack the DL? Passing concepts/rout combos you plan to use to most effect?

I haven't watched Oregon much but looking at our own team there's a few things we should be able to do to absolutely murder Oregon's defense. They play with a "Jack" linebacker that's similar to our "Buck" position. He's rather undersized though at 210 lbs. so it's easy to presume he's more of a speed edge rusher without too much power.

We would absolutely have a field day if we spread out with 4-5 receivers each play to keep them in more of a 3-4 look. Then after a lot of simple routes for your young qb (drags, slants ins, etc.) I'd dink and dunk using hurry up offense. When the corners start creeping up to shut down the short game, use our insane speed to take a intermediate-deep shot. After establishing the pass and going against a 3 man front, I'd take our RBs and pound the ball towards their freshman defensive end. Prince or Driscoll better be able to whip a freshman around the field.

Their nose tackle is a space eater and their LBs are rather experienced so inside running will be difficult. If Bo can pass for 200+ yards, complete around 60% of his passes, and avoid turnovers then I really like our odds.

I rather think that our O-line will really show up Saturday night.  They've been going up against arguably one of the best D-lines all fall practice...steel sharpens steel!

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Image result for gus malzahn confused

It makes me both laugh and cry knowing he'll never use a basic route tree.

2 hours ago, Warbird82 said:

I rather think that our O-line will really show up Saturday night.  They've been going up against arguably one of the best D-lines all fall practice...steel sharpens steel!

True, and they're definitely not sitting pretty being complacent. I'm sure they've heard all the negative talk and complaints.

On 8/25/2019 at 8:10 AM, Rednilla said:

I know, they're completely contradictory statements, but that's how I feel. If we go in entitled and thinking we're going to run up the score, they have the talent to bring us back down to earth. But if we go in with a quiet confidence, I think we can beat them into the ground. Does that make more sense?

Our players/coaches have absolutely nothing to feel entitled about, and I hope none of these players think they can run up the score in their first game.   

I think AU goes in and takes care of business and out muscles the ducks by wearing them down with a stifling defense, then smother them with the power run game...all while Bo manages the offense and doesn't have to do too much to get a win.

19 minutes ago, keesler said:

Our players/coaches have absolutely nothing to feel entitled about, and I hope none of these players think they can run up the score in their first game.   

I think AU goes in and takes care of business and out muscles the ducks by wearing them down with a stifling defense, then smother them with the power run game...all while Bo manages the offense and doesn't have to do too much to get a win.

Sorry. I ran out of likes 😎. Great post. 

Unless Bo and our WRs come out with HOT hands, I expect much of what @keesler said. Lean on the defense, especially early, and if we can move down the field effectively with the run game then we can take some riskier shots downfield.

No matter what happens, we get Auburn football, so expect the unexpected!!

3 hours ago, Warbird82 said:

Is exactly what was said last year. I'm not falling for that again. Especially since reports were the backups at DL were dominating our OL. 

I hope you are right. But for now, I'm Missouri. They need to show me. Talk is only worth so much. 

On 8/24/2019 at 6:20 PM, bigbird said:

With all these new strategies deployed by the ducks, sure would be nice to have a couple of timely "missed assignments" that we capitalize upon...

Archived