Will Auburn take advantage of their talent edge?

StatTiger

Not surprised to see our OL severely weighing down the entire offense with regards to perceived talent level. (Good thing we have depth!)

I am surprised, however, that the Duck D ranks that highly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not surprised to see our OL severely weighing down the entire offense with regards to perceived talent level. (Good thing we have depth!)

I am surprised, however, that the Duck D ranks that highly. 

Part of that ranking is because of Kayvon Thibodeaux who was ranked the number one or two prospect out of high school last season (depending on who you ask). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is an interesting way of evaluating matchups. It definitely makes more sense than looking solely at stars. For instance, looking at the 247 composite player rankings this year, the highest rated 4-star OT is the 37th ranked player nationally and number 3 at his position. The lowest rates 4 star tackle is ranked 26th at his position and 345th nationally. That's a pretty big spread. 

• Like 1

Oh boy same story different season.

IMO, this means Gus Malzahn will have to be creative in his schemes and play-calling against the Ducks to take advantage of his personnel at the RB, QB and WR positions.

Gus has very rarely used all of his weapons. If Auburn loses it will be because of coaching, turnovers and dumb penalties.

Will Auburn be prepared to win or will the approach be, oh well, we like where we are at, and can still win the west .

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Oh boy same story different season.

IMO, this means Gus Malzahn will have to be creative in his schemes and play-calling against the Ducks to take advantage of his personnel at the RB, QB and WR positions.

Gus has very rarely used all of his weapons. If Auburn loses it will be because of coaching, turnovers and dumb penalties.

Will Auburn be prepared to win or will the approach be, oh well, we like where we are at, and can still win the west .

This is from a feature I wrote for ITAT...

Examining the success of the 2010, 2013 and 2017 Auburn offenses, the rate of explosive plays (15+ yards) is the common denominator along with a consistent running game. Great offenses have playmakers, but it requires scheming to obtain the most of the offensive personnel. Over the past 30 years of Auburn football, only four have finished the season with six players totaling at least ten impact plays during the season. The 1996, 2010, 2013 and 2017 Auburn offenses were successful in distributing the football to their skill players, making it difficult for the opposing defenses to focus on just 2-3 key players. Three of the four teams had a mobile quarterback, something Gus Malzahn appreciates as a play-caller. “I will tell you this about our quarterbacks. Our quarterbacks will be a run threat,” said Malzahn during SEC media days. “And when you have a run threat at quarterback, it really does change things from a defensive standpoint. And from a play-caller standpoint, it gives you a lot more flexibility, too.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

This is an interesting way of evaluating matchups. It definitely makes more sense than looking solely at stars. For instance, looking at the 247 composite player rankings this year, the highest rated 4-star OT is the 37th ranked player nationally and number 3 at his position. The lowest rates 4 star tackle is ranked 26th at his position and 345th nationally. That's a pretty big spread. 

Of the top-17 players on offense expected to play a major role this Saturday and the top-17 from defense, Auburn has 8 players on offense ranked in the nation's top-200 best players and 7 on defense. Oregon has 3 on offense and 6 on defense.

• Like 2

I hope Gus has his creativity and aggressive play calling back and utilizes all our weapons on offense.  Having said that, and I don't know if this is the correct thread for it, but after watching the Miami - Florida game, my head may explode if Oregon runs a successful fake punt, fake field goal, or onside kickoff against us.  Hopefully, that got the coaches attention.

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Interesting tidbit, Malzahn's first ever game as a college head coach was against the Ducks, Arkansas State lost 57 - 34 to #5 Oregon. 

If he can score 34 with Arkansas St...

• Like 4

I am hoping that Auburn takes advantage of every bit of talent edge we may have. Here is hoping that CGM and Staff have prepared the team as well and as completely as they did leading up to last year's Bowl Game.

22 hours ago, bigbird said:

If he can score 34 with Arkansas St...

21 hours ago, Win4AU said:

“No Doubt”

20 hours ago, dilligas said:

"And everything that goes with it."

"I'm not ready to say..."

Edited by AUsince72

The intangibles..

1) No matter the talent or potential, Bo Nix has never played on the national stage. He is a freshman and there will be freshman mistakes at critical times. He will learn and get better, but that is important to remember.

2) Who wants it worse. Regardless of stars and rankings, we play the game on the field and not on paper. I can't wait to see this Defense rule the college gridiron!

War Eagle!

• Like 1

Also wanting it is good but you also have to be smart and take what’s given. Some time with inexperience you can try to hard. Boobie was a good example last year. I agree with Cadillac that he left a lot of yards on the field outrunning his blockers. This year he will be much better. Same with Nix and Joey. They can’t try to do it all. They got to trust their teammates. Some of Jarrett’s problem last year was not trusting his teammates and being a little more patient. I think they will all do fine.