Which players step up in 2019?

StatTiger

Auburn has proven impact players and a longer list of potential stars that could surface in 2019 ...

Established talent:

• Anthony Schwartz (WR): Amazing speed and explosive play ability in the passing and running game. Auburn needs him or Stove to fill the perimeter running game role.
  • Eli Stove (WR): Great speed and big-play ability in the running game. This needs to be the season he is utilized vertically more often. Auburn needs a wide-receiver that can take the top off the opposing defense in the same manner as Darius Slayton.
  • Seth Williams (WR): Combination of Lawyer Tillman, Frank Sanders and Darvin Adams all rolled into one stellar player. He should be a 60+ reception player in 2019. Have a true deep threat (speed) will open up the intermediate routes for Williams to shine.
  • Will Hastings (WR): Quickest receiver and best route runner. The caliber of talent to catch 90+ balls with the New England Patriots. He will give Bo Nix a "comfortable out" on every pass play. Can he and Stove remain healthy?
  • Kam Martin (RB): Very capable RB who has proven to be team-oriented. He can be utilized in multiple ways as a role player.
  • JaTarvious Whitlow (RB): Needed experience to improve as he grows into playing running back. A right combination of size, speed, and burst. If he keeps his work-ethic in place, could be a star this season.
  • Malik Miller (RB): Utilized primarily in a backup role. Never reached his full potential because of his knee injury.

The Future:

• Shedrick Jackson (WR): Very physical receiver, with a willingness to block and do the dirty stuff most receivers shy away from on game day. Next step is proving himself to be a consistent receiver.
  • Marquis McClain (WR): Every year, it feels like it will be his breakout year. He is such an imposing target, who has yet to put it all together. He had a great camp, so hopefully, this is the year. Reminds me of the big Ole Miss receivers we have seen the past five years.
  • Matthew Hill (WR): Of the receivers yet to make a name for themselves at Auburn, Hill is the one who might be the closest to doing so. With Stove and Hastings coming back from severe injuries, Auburn needs Hill to step up big in 2019.
  • Sal Cannella (WR): Marquis McClain Part II but with more opportunities on the field.
  • John Samuel Shenker (TE): Notice there was no proven talent at TE or HB? I liked what I saw of him last season, and I believe he could become a steady performer in 2019.
  • Jay Jay Wilson (TE-HB): Could end up being the best transfer Auburn has signed over the past ten years outside the QB position. He had a good camp and brought a much needed physical element. He also proved to have nice hands, which could keep him on the field in multiple roles. He could be key in keeping the same 11 on the field to avoid substitutions.
  • D.J. Williams (RB): Just might be the best running back on the roster when it is all said and done. Arrived early, allowing him to learn the offense and to cut a role for himself this season. Auburn lacked depth last year, and Williams will fill that role when Whitlow needs a blow.
  • Shaun Shivers (RB): He could have easily made the proven list above, but we have yet to see the best of him. His role increased as the 2018 season materialized. I see him being Auburn’s second-leading rusher in 2019. He is not a substitute for Onterio McCalebb, though he has the speed to motor on the edge. HE IS A TRUE RUNNINGBACK and will prove it as long as he remains healthy. He will be one of Auburn’s top-5 impact players in 2019 because he can make plays on the ground and in the passing game.
  • Mark-Antony Richards (RB): Great talent but could be redshirted because of the current depth and his recovery from surgery.
  • Harold Joiner (RB-HB-FB): If Malzahn stays true to his commitment to go fast and limit substitutions, Joiner is a player who can benefit much like Jay Jay Wilson. Joiner can play RB, WR, and HB in Malzahn’s offense with a great skill set to make plays. I see Joiner being utilized like Mario Fannin during 2009 and 2010.
  • Joey Gatewood (QB): Even if Nix remains the starter during the entire season, Gatewood will have a niche in the offense. He is too gifted of an athlete to keep on the bench, and he could even be given a few series when the game is on the line. I just don't want to see the first down snaps only like Malzahn has done in the past. Right off the bat, he could be utilized in situational play, involving short-yardage situations and redzone offense. It would be interesting to give him 2-3 series per game.
  • Bo Nix (QB): Because he is a true freshman, he has yet to prove himself at the collegiate level. Named the starter going into the Oregon game, Nix has plenty of potential to be a star player in the SEC. He is an accurate passer and a much better athlete than Jarrett Stidham. He can make the read-option a legitimate option in the Auburn offense. Nix benefits from running a high school offense that included a variety of plays and schemes that Patrick Nix took from Malzahn's offense.

Outside of the QB position, Auburn needs to 3-4 players from the future list to become proven options in 2019.  The more options Gus Malzahn has to work with as the season progresses, the higher the potential for the Auburn offense to reach its ceiling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Love 1

I’d be shocked if Auburn saw proven production from less than 8 of the new comers.  Nix , Gatewood, JayJay, Sheneker, DJ, Hill, Sal, and Worm should see plenty of opportunities this fall.  Throw in Jackson and Joiner as potential.  I want to include McClain but I gotta see something on the field first.

• Love 1

29 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Outside the QB position, Auburn needs to 3-4 players from the future list to become proven options in 2019.

I'm locking in Worm and Jay Jay. And I think Shed Jackson is the kind of selfless, physical blocker who thrived by opening up things on the perimeter in 2009-10 and 2013-14. But we probably need another guy to give us some impact plays with the ball in his hands. IMO it's up to Gus to find that guy because out of the remaining names, one (and more likely more) of them can play. 

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think Shed Jackson is the kind of selfless, physical blocker who thrived by opening up things on the perimeter 

Yep...been missing that for several years IMO...or at least missing a WR who can do some serious blocking without getting a holding penalty much of the time.  

A good selfless blocking WR could do wonders for the running game and tunnel screens.   I realize nobody seems to like screens but if they did not work, coaches everywhere would not be calling them so often. 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep...been missing that for several years IMO...or at least missing a WR who can do some serious blocking without getting a holding penalty much of the time.  

A good selfless blocking WR could do wonders for the running game and tunnel screens.   I realize nobody seems to like screens but if they did not work, coaches everywhere would not be calling them so often. 

I'm great with the tunnel screens as long as we do other things, too. And as long as the guy catching them is allowed to do other things.

1 hour ago, StatTiger said:
  • D.J. Williams (RB): Just might be the best running back on the roster when it is all said and done. Arrived early, allowing him to learn the offense and to cut a role for himself this season. Auburn lacked depth last year, and Williams will fill that role when Whitlow needs a blow.

•  

I really believe this to be true. Rather sold on DJ

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Shaun has a good chance at offensive mvp/xfactor, if he gets the touches that many of us are hoping and praying for this season. Dude is a stud and he showed it in limited opportunities last year, and I mean severely limited. When we unleash him, look out, it’s gonna be a fun ride! #V8

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Great stuff per your usual Stuart. Thanks and WDE!!!

• Like 1

I keep telling people we have talent on this team and they are like "Huh?! Who?!" THESE PEOPLE!! lol

Makes me question whether people actually pay attention to the games or just look at the score now and then. 🙄

Excellent stuff @StatTiger!!  Reading that list of potential playmakers got me pumped!  There is a TON of potential on that list!!!  

I am super excited to see what Worm, Jay Jay, Hill, DJ, and Joiner bring to the table.  

Like you said, Joiner and JJ are two guys that can do a bunch of different things.  I cannot express how much I want to see fewer substitutions!!!

Seth Williams is the difference maker on that offense. If I'm coaching you're going to have to contend with him on at least 6, or 7,  50-50 situations a game. He has the potential to be a Justyn Ross on our offense.

• Like 3

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:34 PM, CCslim said:

It’s most likely Seth williams.  He was amazing and should get better.

Seth is a playmaker! He was amazing last year!

• Like 1

Cool list... I don't completely agree with it tho.... as well as some of the comments in reference to it. But we don't play, we are just spectators... so to each (es) own... We play ball Saturday tho and I am super excited! #WarEagle

• Like 1

I need shivers and Joiner to show out and they can with the opportunity . Also , I am hoping Seth Williams can be our true legit 1st round WR. I want a Mike Evans, Mike Williams, type 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

I need shivers and Joiner to show out and they can with the opportunity . Also , I am hoping Seth Williams can be our true legit 1st round WR. I want a Mike Evans, Mike Williams, type 

Shivers ALWAYS shows out so I'm definitely not worried about him. He has worked hard as usual. But what I am so clueless about is why we get so caught up with the size of the person instead of the skill set of the person. I'm just preaching to the choir, I know. But I feel like the BEST players that have shown they are the BEST players should touch the field. Not just in terms of RB but for all positions. We NEED TO WIN!

• Like 4
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Momma Worm said:

Shivers ALWAYS shows out so I'm definitely not worried about him. He has worked hard as usual. But what I am so clueless about is why we get so caught up with the size of the person instead of the skill set of the person. I'm just preaching to the choir, I know. But I feel like the BEST players that have shown they are the BEST players should touch the field. Not just in terms of RB but for all positions. We NEED TO WIN!

It's crazy. We've also got folks obsessing in another thread about whether or not QB1 is a tenth of a second faster than some other dudes who don't even play here anymore. 

Sometimes you wonder if folks even watch football or if they just spend their time looking at spreadsheets and Googling. 

I think a lot of folks have gotten woke on Worm. Not enough, though. It's going to be fun watching some of them start acting around mid-October like they were OG Team Worm all along. I know you've seen it happen plenty of times before, lol. 

I'm calling it...DJ Williams will lead us in rushing by the end of the year.  Shivers will be 1 yard behind.  1001 yards and 1000 yards.

Edited by kennypowers

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's crazy. We've also got folks obsessing in another thread about whether or not QB1 is a tenth of a second faster than some other dudes who don't even play here anymore. 

Sometimes you wonder if folks even watch football or if they just spend their time looking at spreadsheets and Googling. 

I think a lot of folks have gotten woke on Worm. Not enough, though. It's going to be fun watching some of them start acting around mid-October like they were OG Team Worm all along. I know you've seen it happen plenty of times before, lol. 

I saw that lol...

I say this to myself every time lol

In regards to Worm....let them stay sleep my love.... we like it better that way! A lot of people just like to hear themselves talk and no matter how well he does they will have something to say because their guy isn't living up to their man crush dreams. One things for certain and 2 things for sure they cant take the DOG out of him and that thing is vicious! When Cadillac and Ronnie Brown say the say thing about a guy, you know its real!

• Like 1
  • Love 3

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

source (1).gifsource.gif

giphy-1-2.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

When Cadillac and Ronnie Brown say the say thing about a guy, you know its real!

Truth.

One of my favorite things about Auburn football in 2019 is Caddy being your son's position coach. That just feels right. 

• Love 1

33 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

In limited touches last year he did just that. I really do hope he separates from the pack and has a constant role with the offense this year. Gus is back as the primary playcaller so I am thinking this may be so. 

• Like 1