biggest concern for the first game?

gr82b4au

Is it weird that my biggest concern for AU is at WR going into this game? We heard all camp about the dropsies, “tired” routes, and ints bouncing off of  their hands. I just hope if Bo or Joey throw it, someone on our team will catch it and hold on to it. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kicking game. Anders had big shoes to fill last year, and I'm not sure he's got the ice water in his veins his brother had to overcome a shakey start.

To me the biggest concern is Gus calling plays. 

I don't care what anyone says... Gus didn't give up playcalling duties (at all really but even if he did it wasnt) because we had been having success with him calling plays. 

I hope Gus gets back his mojo he lost after the 2014 A&M game and becomes the dynamic playcaller he was as an OC. As I am about the OL, I don't believe it for an instant. I hope he can, but he will need to show me.

for me just the opening game in general 

Since 2010 we are 7-2 in openers but since 2012 we are 4-2 opening against P5 opponents 

2010 Vs Arkansas State - W

2011 Vs Utah State - W

2012 Vs Clemson -  L

2013 Vs Washington State - W

2014 Vs Arkansas - W

2015 Vs Louisville - W

2016 Vs Clemson - L

2017  Vs Georgia Southern - W 

2018 Vs Washington - W

Just now, KnightTiger said:

for me just the opening game in general 

Since 2010 we are 7-2 in openers but since 2012 we are 4-2 opening against P5 opponents 

2010 Vs Arkansas State - W

2011 Vs Utah State - W

2012 Vs Clemson -  L

2013 Vs Washington State - W

2014 Vs Arkansas - W

2015 Vs Louisville - W

2016 Vs Clemson - L

2017  Vs Georgia Southern - W 

2018 Vs Washington - W

So another way to look at it is we are undefeated to any team not named Clemson? 

I get what you are saying. While Gus usually wins the first game, anyone who would suggest we have had a clue who we were offensively before game 3 under Gus is lying to you, or selling something. 

QB. How will Bo handle the pressure of his first start on the road? Will Joey play any meaningful downs?

I have I have a few:

1. Freshman QB big stage away from home for his first ever start.

2: Offensive line, can they get a push?

3: Can we get pressure on their QB with front four? 

4: Last but not least, will Gus have the offense ready to play? By that I mean even in the best years it's seemed to take him three, or four games to figure out an offensive identity. 

All that being said, I think if we can approach 250 on the ground I like our chances.

The new hybrid Oregon Defense that can shift into different coverages confusing Nix.  I think he'll be great but I'm not expecting greatness in Game 1 of his career.  Also, will the OL not suck.  

Changing QBs too frequently. Let Bo have enough time to get into a good rhythm and not alternate series or the same series with multiple QBs. If the starter is ineffective after 3-4 series, the let #2 have several series to right the ship. I still have nightmares from the Clemson game at AU in ‘15 or ‘16 when 5 different people lined up at QB at some point. Hopefully, Gus has matured enough to not have to rely on such shenanigans. 

15 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Defense buying into the elite talk.

I’m watching a replay of the TAMU game and in spite of winning, our D-line got whipped badly. We also missed a lot of tackles. Part of the D-line’s issue was that Jimbo was keeping 7 in to block 4 down lineman and Steele never made an adjustment. That, coupled with what UGA and UAT did to us makes me concerned about our D. I hope the hype is real. 

22 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

To me the biggest concern is Gus calling plays. 

I don't care what anyone says... Gus didn't give up playcalling duties (at all really but even if he did it wasnt) because we had been having success with him calling plays. 

I hope Gus gets back his mojo he lost after the 2014 A&M game and becomes the dynamic playcaller he was as an OC. As I am about the OL, I don't believe it for an instant. I hope he can, but he will need to show me.

Speaking of A&M. Last years game in which AU came back and won and saved Gus' job for one more year IMO, is now playing on ESPNU.

3 minutes ago, Gr82batigr said:

Changing QBs too frequently. Let Bo have enough time to get into a good rhythm and not alternate series or the same series with multiple QBs. If the starter is ineffective after 3-4 series, the let #2 have several series to right the ship. I still have nightmares from the Clemson game at AU in ‘15 or ‘16 when 5 different people lined up at QB at some point. Hopefully, Gus has matured enough to not have to rely on such shenanigans. 

Good thing I wasn't the athletic director I would have fired Gus that night.

First game jitters, don’t have time to work out the kinks. Unsure about the OL, freshman QB, and young LB’s. There are sure to be some growing experiences in this game. Just hope we come out fast, get some early momentum, and never look back!

4 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

First game jitters, don’t have time to work out the kinks. Unsure about the OL, freshman QB, and young LB’s. There are sure to be some growing experiences in this game. Just hope we come out fast, get some early momentum, and never look back!

Feel this way too. Get some breaks to go our way early we should be fine. Get behind the 8-ball, and could be a long night 

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

1. OL

2. Play calling predictability

3. Stalemate between our DL and their OL

4. Sub patterns on O. Less subs should equal more HUNH & better production.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

4. Sub patterns on O. Less subs should equal more HUNH & better production.

Yes, minimal subs, run as much of the series as possible with one unit

5 minutes ago, api1957 said:

Do I have enough alcohol. 

And o-line.

Been debating if I need to slowly stock up everyday, just in case lol

Archived