biggest concern for the first game?

gr82b4au

All of the above.  We all have expectations about different areas of the team, but as history has shown. it's a crap shot with Gus teams in the first few games.  My main concern though is will the OL be improved enough to definitively establish the run game. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if posted already but my biggest concern and what I think is the key to this game is pressure on the QB.  We can talk about it and we can hear about it but until I see a legitimate pass rusher on this defense I am skeptical.  Bryant and Moultry need to really have a great game or we will have to get pressure by blitzing.  The biggest problem last year for our Defense was getting pressure on the QB.

4 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Sorry if posted already but my biggest concern and what I think is the key to this game is pressure on the QB.  We can talk about it and we can hear about it but until I see a legitimate pass rusher on this defense I am skeptical.  Bryant and Moultry need to really have a great game or we will have to get pressure by blitzing.  The biggest problem last year for our Defense was getting pressure on the QB.

This is the truth . People get on our secondary but the truth is a great front seven can make your secondary look like stars. 

- Signed, Carolina Panthers fan

1 minute ago, DAG said:

This is the truth . People get on our secondary but the truth is a great front seven can make your secondary look like stars. 

- Signed, Carolina Panthers fan

Yes sir.  All Pro corners can't cover forever on every pass play.

1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

My main concern though is will the OL be improved enough to definitively establish the run game. 

If they can play like they did the last four games (including the bowl game) I will be one happy camper.

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

1. OL

2. Play calling predictability

3. Stalemate between our DL and their OL

If we get stalemate between DL and OL especially if they keep a TE and back in to help block I hope we do some stealth blitzing with LB's and DB's. Now if their 5 OL can handle our 4 DL it could be a bad day.  I just don't see that happening.  In addition to what you mentioned here a Freshmen QB starting 1st game on a big stage.

12 hours ago, gr82be said:

He's my crush and I just hope he gets some closer opportunities to start the year. He had to try a lot of long ones last year early on as I remember. I'm hoping he can hit some early ones from intermediate range which can build his confidence. 

It is key that Gus builds his confidence by kicking intermediate and short FG's initially instead of trying for 55 yard FG's a few misses early and we hurt his confidence a bunch of makes early on make able kicks and we build up his confidence.

Honestly, though, I'm concerned about the O-line and, more importantly, does Gus put together a game plan that puts Bo in the best situation to succeed. 

We got the talent.

I'm worried about the brains(Gus).

If my 9th grade daughter can start predicting the plays again, I'll know we're in trouble.

4 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Gus putting Bo on a short leash.  He's going to make mistakes, don't want to see him get pulled or shrink the playbook after a pick. 

Yep.

if he has this gun slinger mentality he will go Favre every once in a while. Take that how you want it. 

Biggest concern: we don’t win. 

Just win baby 

01568CAF-D14B-454B-84D5-316A88335AF3.jpeg

My biggest concern are the unknowns and information we heard coming out of camp. 

• QB play against pressure (D-line, Big Stage, Leadership)
  • How effective our O-line will be at both blocking for the run game to protection for the QB.
  • WRs ability to catch/not deflect passes as we heard about in the scrimmage.
  • Penalties, both offensive holding/false starts and Defensive Pass Interference.
  • Anders Carlson being asked to kick 50+ FGs right away.

So I guess that pretty much covers every aspect of the game lol.

In all honesty I said all of that stuff just because I really don't know what to expect.  We could come out looking like Florida did or come out firing on all cylinders (not the norm under Gus).  I believe we will be very good if we just execute sound fundamental football because the talent is there to expand on the fundamentals to succeed against our tougher competition.

Consensus is o-line. My other is the defense going against a elite qb. If both lines play good to great we win easily. If not we lose. Execution, execution, execution, etc. War Eagle and IGTBAAT!

2 hours ago, api1957 said:

Honestly, though, I'm concerned about the O-line and, more importantly, does Gus put together a game plan that puts Bo in the best situation to succeed. 

2nded...

I am concerned about Gus being so buried in the offensive playcalling that he loses sight of the bigger overall strategical aspects of the game like we saw prior to him giving up playcalling. Like clock management, timeout usage etc

I am worried about Oregon stifling us in the 2nd half due to making adjustments while we just bang our head against a brick wall wondering why the first half plan isn't working anymore.

I'm concerned about Gus getting scared when Bo makes a mistake -- and he will make mistakes, it's his first game -- and the entire O taking a nosedive due to Gus' being in such a panic that he essentially sabotages the offense in an attempt to protect Bo.

I'm worried about Bo facing pressure. Kid wasn't sacked his entire last season in HS. What will he be like after he eats a face full of grass (or JerryTurf) when a 300 pounder puts all his weight on him? What will he be like after he throws a pick? Does he go all Jeremy Johnson and Kiehl Frazier on us? Or does he shake it off like Nick Marshall? 

Gus trying to be a genius against their defense. Don't want to see a lot of subs trying to get perfect personnel in the situation. Don't want to see a lot of Meerkating to the sidelines while Gus tries to figure out the perfect play against defensive formation. Don't run the same frick'in play when we go hurry up. Don't let off the gas if we get up early.  Go ahead and script the 2nd half plays also so you don't have to worry about it at halftime...lol.

My 2nd biggest concern going into this game is looking unprepared. Nothing and I mean nothing makes me want to kick the dog worse than coming out and looking like it is the first time we have ran the plays.  To add to this, and this is when I do kick the dog, is when we have ZERO answer offensively or defensively to what the other team is doing.  A team can gouge us to death or stone cold stop us and we will just keep running the same plays and defense no matter what without an answer.  Its almost like if it isn't on the play sheet then it can't be called.  This isn't limited to just Gus.  Steele has been known to try to break peoples hands with his face as well.

20 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Is it weird that my biggest concern for AU is at WR going into this game? We heard all camp about the dropsies, “tired” routes, and ints bouncing off of  their hands. I just hope if Bo or Joey throw it, someone on our team will catch it and hold on to it. 

It's all about the offensive line.  If they've taken a step forward from last year and can just be SEC average, I think Nix, Boobie, Shivers and Seth can make big things happen with this offense. But if they are like they were last year prior to the Purdue game, then nothing else matters.

Archived