biggest concern for the first game?

gr82b4au

1 hour ago, Viper said:

I see many many bubble screens in their future. 

source.gif

The damn bubble screen.  I'd give up beer, red meat, and hating UGA if I never had to see that ran on our offense again. Man I hate that play.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our screen game actually improved under Chip. Gone were the days of 1 WR having to block 2 defenders on the outside. I fear that will be a staple in our O again starting with Oregon.

Just now, Tiger said:

Our screen game actually improved under Chip. Gone were the days of 1 WR having to block 2 defenders on the outside. I fear that will be a staple in our O again starting with Oregon.

Agreed. We actually picked up a lot of yards and first downs with the screen. Ryan Davis was fantastic and Stidham was outstanding at placing the ball so that RD was already facing upfield when he caught it.

It's just that we didn't do anything else. 

The conversation reminds me of the wildcat conversation when KJ was here. It was productive. Like, hella productive. But we didn't run different looks out of it and folks got bored and grumpy about it. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The conversation reminds me of the wildcat conversation when KJ was here. It was productive. Like, hella productive. But we didn't run different looks out of it and folks got bored and grumpy about it. 

So true. 

Question for the board...I follow a few posters on here that I deem to have decently solid inside info...but most of those folks are not posting lately.  It's been well over a week, maybe two, since guys like WDEWDE have sprinkled us with tidbits.  Are things extremely quiet around the Athletic Department right now or is there just not that much juicy stuff going on within the program to report?

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

The damn bubble screen.  I'd give up beer, red meat, and hating UGA if I never had to see that ran on our offense again. Man I hate that play.

Would you rather see a bubble screen, statue of liberty, or sugar huddle?

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

source.gif

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yes 

17 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Question for the board...I follow a few posters on here that I deem to have decently solid inside info...but most of those folks are not posting lately.  It's been well over a week, maybe two, since guys like WDEWDE have sprinkled us with tidbits.  Are things extremely quiet around the Athletic Department right now or is there just not that much juicy stuff going on within the program to report?

Wouldn't be surprised if...

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:
1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Agreed. We actually picked up a lot of yards and first downs with the screen. Ryan Davis was fantastic and Stidham was outstanding at placing the ball so that RD was already facing upfield when he caught it.

It's just that we didn't do anything else. 

The conversation reminds me of the wildcat conversation when KJ was here. It was productive. Like, hella productive. But we didn't run different looks out of it and folks got bored and grumpy about it. 

I could be wrong... (I know, I know...ME? Nooooo........)

...but I feel the WR bubble-screens were mostly effective only BECAUSE of Ryan Davis.  Truly he should be considered an Auburn legend IMO.

Beyond that, like @NorthGATiger feels, if I never see that play run by my beloved Tigers ever again, it'll be too soon.

Biggest concern for me is the officials letting them play. I dont know which crew we will get , but I just dont want our D hampered by one-sided pass intereference penalties....... Or one sided offensive holding calls on the O line ......  I have a feeling the ducks will be putting the ball in the air a good bit.

After thinking more...the deep ball against our DBs is what has me the most worried. I mean, we will give up some, but I can see a TN situation where we get Herbert in 3rd and extra long and they just complete back breaking throw after back breaking throw.

Run game, how we bounce back after getting hit in the mouth, a sure fire deep threat,.how we defend the run game

On 8/26/2019 at 5:21 PM, Auburn2Eugene said:

To me the biggest concern is Gus calling plays. 

I don't care what anyone says... Gus didn't give up playcalling duties (at all really but even if he did it wasnt) because we had been having success with him calling plays. 

I hope Gus gets back his mojo he lost after the 2014 A&M game and becomes the dynamic playcaller he was as an OC. As I am about the OL, I don't believe it for an instant. I hope he can, but he will need to show me.

You mean hurry up to running up the middle after a first down is not innovative? 

9 minutes ago, Brannigan's Law said:

You mean hurry up to running up the middle after a first down is not innovative? 

It is not. And you have my word, I will not interfere with any undeveloped planets. 

Brannigans Law or Directive B10.81 is is full effect 

giphy.gif

17 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I could be wrong... (I know, I know...ME? Nooooo........)

...but I feel the WR bubble-screens were mostly effective only BECAUSE of Ryan Davis.  Truly he should be considered an Auburn legend IMO.

Beyond that, like @NorthGATiger feels, if I never see that play run by my beloved Tigers ever again, it'll be too soon.

There is no doubt Ryan Davis was stellar in the screen game, but JMO I think he was put in a better position to succeed with Chip's input into our screen game. It seemed like xCCL eliminated our guys being outnumbered by defenders on the outside whenever we would run a WR screen like we saw the prior 2 seasons.

I expect us to run a bunch of them this Saturday though, it's not like we don't have guys that can make defenses pay but we have to put the WRs in a position to succeed. 1 guy can't block 2 players. And often times, back when Rhett was here, defenses knew it was coming so 2 defenders were jumping the screen with the blocking WR essentially being set up to fail 🤦‍♂️

On 8/26/2019 at 7:00 PM, Maverick.AU said:

46E2DBFD-107D-4ED9-B487-6F072353F4CF.jpeg

I pictured Golf much skinnier.......

17 minutes ago, Tiger said:

There is no doubt Ryan Davis was stellar in the screen game, but JMO I think he was put in a better position to succeed with Chip's input into our screen game. It seemed like xCCL eliminated our guys being outnumbered by defenders on the outside whenever we would run a WR screen like we saw the prior 2 seasons.

I expect us to run a bunch of them this Saturday though, it's not like we don't have guys that can make defenses pay but we have to put the WRs in a position to succeed. 1 guy can't block 2 players. And often times, back when Rhett was here, defenses knew it was coming so 2 defenders were jumping the screen with the blocking WR essentially being set up to fail 🤦‍♂️

Agree.

Stove seems like a great candidate for those. Maybe Hill, too. We need that play. But it doesn't need to be the main course. It just needs to be an ingredient in the gumbo.

I want gumbo, Tiger!

30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agree.

Stove seems like a great candidate for those. Maybe Hill, too. We need that play. But it doesn't need to be the main course. It just needs to be an ingredient in the gumbo.

I want gumbo, Tiger!

All about that rich, tasty roux that I like to call the running game. 

42 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agree.

I want gumbo, Tiger!

what we want:

giphy.gif

What Gus gives us:

giphy.gif

18 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

All about that rich, tasty roux that I like to call the running game. 

Key to the game Saturday, and a good gumbo!

Archived