Talking New Age Tackling

bigbird

This was split from the Simpson thread. It will stay here as long as the conversation is warm since this is a popular forum.

10 hours ago, AUallday said:

Bird, we have been teaching Heads Up Football in South Carolina for a few years. In this case the defender should have used better near foot placement to the blockers near hip, inside shoulder impact to blockers outside pec, and he keeps outside contain...👍

Exactly, gotta keep that outside shoulder clean.  

One other thing I forgot to mention by tracking the inside hip and keeping your eyes on the inside hip instead of watching shoulders/head you are not distracted with upper body fakes. The runner is going where his hips go. Runner fakes with upper body to left and you bite even for split second and you are beaten.  Years ago in HS football they used to tell us to keep an eye on runners Belly button same principal. 

I can see this leading to a lot of missed arm tackles for younger players.  You’ve really got to time this.  Leading with head in front - at least the runner is more likely to trip over you if you don’t wrap.

as @bigbird said ... it’s gonna be a process with decades of teaching to change.  I’m all for reduced head injuries.  No telling how many I had.

29 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I can see this leading to a lot of missed arm tackles for younger players.  

Surprisingly there hasn't been an increase in missed tackles. In fact we've seen a decrease. I think that's due to harping on being in the right position (both body and field) to attack the ball as opposed to reacting to the ball. Players are now having to focus more on arriving properly than just arriving. Players hear about and recognize the dangers and are all for self preservation.

On 8/26/2019 at 4:57 PM, bigbird said:

A lot of schools are going to what's called "hawk" tackling

This for the most part was how I was taught to tackle in the early 80's

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 6:52 PM, kevon67 said:

This for the most part was how I was taught to tackle in the early 80's

Thanks for sharing that video. Very informative. One additional thing I think they could do, is return to bigger shoulder pads. THe ones they use today are amazingly small. I think that influences guys to avoid shoulder tackles, especially on bigger RBs. 

6 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Thanks for sharing that video. Very informative. One additional thing I think they could do, is return to bigger shoulder pads. THe ones they use today are amazingly small. I think that influences guys to avoid shoulder tackles, especially on bigger RBs. 

It also lessens guys using a shoulder shiver as a weapon. TBH they need to get rid of helmets & pads all together a la rugby.

33 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Tackling style not working too well for the Seahawks today against Kamara.

Doesn’t matter the tackling technique. Kamara will always break tackles 

46 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Tackling style not working too well for the Seahawks today against Kamara.

12 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Doesn’t matter the tackling technique. Kamara will always break tackles 

What are you guys buttering me up for? lol

Archived