superstitions and rituals (merged threads)

Auctoritas

Seems like every year, one of these pops up, and im. We are all nervous and ready for the year to get kicked off on the right foot. And, the beauty of college football is that us fans actually get to impact the course of the game by drinking out of our favorite cup or eating a certain type of food. Or something even crazier. 

Or, maybe, like me, it's not so much what you do as what you don't do. I never ever ever open the lookalike thread or the score prediction. In fact, the second to last time I did on purpose was in the leadup to the 2013 LSU game, and we know how that turned out. The last time? My cell phone in my pocket accidentally opened the lookalike thread for the 2017 LSU game. Surely it's my fault, right?

So, we are getting ready to go - what are you doing this week to help? What's your go-to good luck charm? What's the one thing you can't do lest you soon us to the ignominy of defeat?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The writing's on the wall...

I don't really have traditions anymore. I used to keep up with them for fun but having 2 kids, both in November, wrecked any semblance of routine or normalcy for me. I LOVE hearing about others', though, so cool thread!

I like this thread. We have a thing we do in-game whenever the other team kicks a field goal, its kinda goofy but it works!!! have to hold your thumbs up and wiggle them while yelling .....buga buga buga buga buga buga buga until the kick is made.......As far as pregame or game week rituals...don't really have any except my wife needs to be watching the game. Even if she isn't with me as long she has it on. When we started dating in 2013, She watched the first couple games and then missed the first half of LSU, came back and second half we played better. She watched every game rest of the season with me. 2013 BCSNCG she went to bed at half time....we all know the rest

14 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

we do in-game whenever the other team kicks a field goal, its kinda goofy but it works!!! have to hold your thumbs up and wiggle them while yelling .....buga buga buga buga buga buga buga until the kick is made

Stealing it. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Stealing it. 

I have no problem with that!!! Pass it on....would love to be in JHS in a few years and that be the new thing lol. My Mother started it....don't know where she got it but we have been doing it for years.

3 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I have no problem with that!!! Pass it on....would love to be in JHS in a few years and that be the new thing lol. My Mother started it....don't know where she got it but we have been doing it for years.

Your mom sounds hilarious and amazing. 

Buga buga buga. Hahahahaha

Superstition story...

Our flight was pushed back in 2013 on our way to Pasadena (winter weather). When we arrived at our hotel (1hr before kickoff) they handed me the room key...666! Who makes that a room number??? Anyway I stopped and turned around and the young lady looked as she expected this. She told me everyone that she had given the key to had brought it back and they were out of rooms... I cost us the title! I should have slept on the street like the locals

28 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I like this thread. We have a thing we do in-game whenever the other team kicks a field goal, its kinda goofy but it works!!! have to hold your thumbs up and wiggle them while yelling .....buga buga buga buga buga buga buga until the kick is made.......As far as pregame or game week rituals...don't really have any except my wife needs to be watching the game. Even if she isn't with me as long she has it on. When we started dating in 2013, She watched the first couple games and then missed the first half of LSU, came back and second half we played better. She watched every game rest of the season with me. 2013 BCSNCG she went to bed at half time....we all know the rest

Don't let the bammers know you're responsible for some of their kicking woes.....it could get ugly. 

Gotta find a shaker that has a winning tradition.  The one with a nawed up end is usually the one to go with.

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Gotta find a shaker that has a winning tradition.  The one with a nawed up end is usually the one to go with.

This is key.....I have a circa 95 one that is still in use....There are maybe 20 strands on it now total lol

I don't have any pregame superstitions but if I can ever find out what the LSU fans do before our game I want to copy it. 

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

I don't have any pregame superstitions but if I can ever find out what the LSU fans do before our game I want to copy it. 

You may not want to know ...

Every year I get a new AU coffee mug and I drink out of it all season long. Then it gets retired.  This started after I re-used my cup from 2010 in 2011. I don't need to remind y'all how bad that was. I again used that same mug in 2012......and after that even bigger disaster I realized I had screwed up the 2010 mojo. So now it's a new mug every year.  

Please don't hate me for the mojo mess-up. I thought it would carry over like baseball....

I only watch the game by myself in my man cave. The ole ball and chain can bother me at halftime. I always stand for kickoffs, I always touch my old rusty Williams signed jersey and only even numbers on the volume. I know I am weird. 

This year is going to be different for me, son is going off to college (Michigan), he grew up an Auburn fan, in fact 2010 was his first full season watching. Got spoilt that year:-) . We played Michigan about 20 yrs ago, will it happen this year?

8 minutes ago, gr82be said:

They visit their personal voodoo high priestess. 

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

One, I only watch the game by myself in my man cave. The ole ball and chain can bother me at halftime. I always stand for kickoffs, I always touch my old rusty Williams signed jersey and only even numbers on the volume. I know I am weird. 

Dang man, by yourself? That's intense. 

I'm not superstitious, but I do have a hard time sitting down. I'm usually to nervous and have to stand. 

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Dang man, by yourself? That's intense. 

I'm not superstitious, but I do have a hard time sitting down. I'm usually to nervous and have to stand. 

Absolutely by myself at the crib. I can’t stand the chatter about other stuff , I yell, I pace and I also hate when people parrot what just happened especially when it is against Auburn lol. I don’t need to hear you say two or three times we fumbled or threw an interception , I lived it!! Or ask me 5 times why Gus called that play 

Archived