2021 Recruiting Thread (Update: 8/17/20)

ellitor

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AuburnNTexas I had gotten to this point of your post thinking I wasn't going to have to make a correction but you left out safety Phillip O'Brien. lol

At this point with likely no visits allowed this season it's not early in the cycle any more.

Yeah I agree! Especially if they nix the early signing period, which they should,  would help us more than hurt I think.

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AuburnNTexas I had gotten to this point of your post thinking I wasn't going to have to make a correction but you left out safety Phillip O'Brien. lol

At this point with likely no visits allowed this season it's not early in the cycle any more.

You are correct I accidentally left out O'Brien and he is one of the ones who I think coaches did a great job of evaluating and who is much better than his 3* rating.  As for not really early in the cycle because of the lack of visits you may be correct but from what I have read most of the recruits have been impressed by the virtual visits and are still feeling the family atmosphere.  This class will be decided on how we close out on the DB's and how well we meet our needs and so far most of our biggest needs outside of DB's have been met.  

On O we have a great O-Line class so far, the TE we needed the QB we needed and the RB we needed.  If we can pull in a WR we will have met all our needs even though we are still in it for a stud TE Trigg's and a few O-Line Mims, Orr, Pounds and a RB Johnson. 

On D we needed 2 DT's at least 1 Buck an SDE,  2 CB's and 2 Safeties, and 1 LB  - We have the 2 DT's and the SDE and are working on 2 Bucks Williams, Brooks we have one Safety O'Brien one athlete Dawson who could be a WR or a DB , we are working on multiple DB's Harvey,  Lassiter,  Green, McKinstry, Hadden and we are working on Smael as our 1st LB choice with a  other options like Sorey if that does not work out.  Assuming we do have a HS football season some people we were not looking at that we might have seen in a normal year on the camp circuits might jump out and we would be adding them to our list.  

I would love to see at least 2 DB's or more along with a  Buck, LB and WR commit this month at that point I will feel we have met our needs even though that would still only give us 17 or 18 in this class and room to finish rounding out the class.  

6 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I would love to see at least 2 DB's or more along with a  Buck, LB and WR

FWIW plan as of now is at minimum 3 more DBs, 1-2 Bucks, LB, 2 WRs, 1-2 OL, 1 RB if it's LJ Johnson, & 1 TE if it's Michael Trigg.

@ellitor  With the potential of taking two tight ends again this year for the the 3rd year in a row, have you heard of an offensive shift to utilize these scholarships or is it viable that some of them were recruited as tight ends but their future is in another position?

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

@ellitor  With the potential of taking two tight ends again this year for the the 3rd year in a row

We missed on Trigg. Unlikely we take 2 TEs now.

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

have you heard of an offensive shift to utilize these scholarships

1. Yes. We hired Chad Morris in December

2. We have utilized them, as blockers.

4 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

is it viable that some of them were recruited as tight ends but their future is in another position?

TE's in our system essentially covers 3 positions: traditional in line TE, Split out TE, & backfield TE a la an HB.

@ellitor question. With the season most likely canceled if reports are true, how do you see this affecting our recruiting, much less recruiting as a whole with kids not able to see game day experiences, campus visits, etc.? Apologize if you answered this already. 

10 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

With the season most likely canceled if reports are true, how do you see this affecting our recruiting, much less recruiting as a whole with kids not able to see game day experiences, campus visits, etc.? Apologize if you answered this already. 

@tbone1430 Good question. I think it will speed things up for AU & most schools. I think many recruits will continue to do what they have done & take what they believe is the best committable offer they can sooner than they planned. Since recruits can visit campuses now even though they aren't allowed to see coaches when they do I think it will lead to some flips;  I do think most will commit earlier than planned though & shut it down unless there is visits where they can see the coaches & staff before NSD whenever NSD may be.

Tunmise Adeleye decommitted from Ohio State. Interesting as I had seen there were rumors growing that the Fall Ball cancellations were already affecting recruiting. I wonder if he is the first of many...
Don't think there was ever a thread on him but I figure his story and the general speculations were worth noting. He is an IMG Academy kid, hard to think Auburn doesn't try to open communications.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29639972/defensive-end-tunmise-adeleye-decommits-ohio-state

10 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

It’s looking like it may be Harvey and somebody else

Somebody Else is my sleeper pick for this class. Raw, but athletic. Could play on either side of the ball.

(Loving the optimism on Harvey.)

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Somebody Else is my sleeper pick for this class. Raw, but athletic. Could play on either side of the ball.

(Loving the optimism on Harvey.)

I’m not an insider but if I had to guess who the somebody else is it would be Lassiter

4 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Still just an edit & not an indication he has a real or committable offer yet.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Still just an edit & not an indication he has a real or committable offer yet.

Yeah I know I’m just posting to show they’re still keeping him warm just in case 

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

Yeah I know I’m just posting to show they’re still keeping him warm just in case 

Yeah. With Mims trending Georgia, Pounds trending Penn State, and Byrd trending SMU or Oklahoma I’m curious to see who auburn offers between Crum & Orr and when that offer will come.

23 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Keith says to expect a "major surprise" soon....

Let's guess. 

I'll hope a OL or DL we are not in the lead for or a flip. Whatever, I love "Major Surprises" for AU!

45 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Keith says to expect a "major surprise" soon....

@tigerbrotha12 Keith posted that last night. @GwillMac6 & I are discussing it in the Malcolm Johnson thread. We are thinking he is referring to MJJ since he posted it around the same time yesterday MJJ tweeted he is committing Friday & are underwhelmed if that's the case..

27 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Let's guess. 

I'll hope a OL or DL we are not in the lead for or a flip. Whatever, I love "Major Surprises" for AU!

@JFDTiger80 If it's not MJJ my pure guess is Kool Aid or Mondon. On the DL we are done except at the buck.Scoob Williams is now not committing til December. If we are able to flip Dylan Brooks it likely would be late in the process. Not sure we are ready yet to give Jimmori Robinson the green light yet. On the OL our 3 major targets are trending elsewhere. If it's Orr or Crum then that's underwhelming for a "major surprise."

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@tigerbrotha12 Keith posted that last night. @GwillMac6 & I are discussing it in the Malcolm Johnson thread. We are thinking he is referring to MJJ since he posted it around the same time yesterday MJJ tweeted he is committing Friday & are underwhelmed if that's the case..

I don’t believe landing MJJ would be that big of a surprise, we’ve had momentum as of recently, no?

Archived