Oregon - GAME THREAD

WarTiger

2 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

No doubt that Bo Nix has the potential, with the right coaching, to be one of the AU greats. He shows incredible composure and leadership, especially for a true freshman.

But he still ended up 13 of 31 passing with 2 picks. That´s not all Bo´s fault but that has GOT to improve.

Good OL's usually are good medicine for making that better. We don't have a very good OL.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many need to take a step back and review the game itself.  We struggled mightily in the first half as I suspected we might.  That is what happens when it’s the first game and the opposing team has had 3 months to prepare for you.  Remember Clemson 2016?

The second half we settled down and took care of business.  Gus Malzahn just won with full confidence in a true freshmen QB

7 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

I may be way off but the team perked up when Gatewood come in and scored........my first thought was Gatewood may have been a team favorite..........Nix came through in the end..........not bad at alll for a true freshman........I say he has a high ceiling.

Probably perked up because we finally scored a td

Just now, bigbird said:

Nix grew up a lot in the 2nd half. 

Hopefully Gus will run the 2 minute offense for 60 minutes

Just like last years TAMU game THIS. IS. THE. OFFENSE. WE. SHOULD. SEE. ALL. ALONG. Thank you mr bird for bringing this up good sir!!!

3 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

No doubt that Bo Nix has the potential, with the right coaching, to be one of the AU greats. He shows incredible composure and leadership, especially for a true freshman.

But he still ended up 13 of 31 passing with 2 picks. That´s not all Bo´s fault but that has GOT to improve.

This can't be a serious take. The 18-year-old-first-true-freshman-since-1946 QB just engineered one of the best game winning drives in Auburn history and you want to spout 13-31? 

The kid is a phenom. Shut up and enjoy watching him for 3 years. 

1 minute ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Good OL's usually are good medicine for making that better. We don't have a very good OL.

I'm going to hold on to the hope that they will improve....

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Nix grew up a lot in the 2nd half. 

Hopefully Gus will run the 2 minute offense for 60 minutes

Its going into season #7, do you really think that he will do ANYTHING different?...really?

1 minute ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Unfortunately, it looks like you are right. A lot of room for improvement on our OL. Gus is used to running the ball no matter what and he is going to have to come up with plans that account for the fact that we are not always going to be able to do that.

Just now, abw0004 said:

Many need to take a step back and review the game itself.  We struggled mightily in the first half as I suspected we might.  That is what happens when it’s the first game and the opposing team has had 3 months to prepare for you.  Remember Clemson 2016?

The second half we settled down and took care of business.  Gus Malzahn just won with full confidence in a true freshmen QB

True. So thankful for the win. But the flip of this is that we've had three months to prep for Oregon, too. What many fans miss, which may hopefully return, is being the team that puts the other team on the run for the duration of the game. The dread factor. It's been awhile. Tonight went our way. Feels good. Need more of it. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Just like last years TAMU game THIS. IS. THE. OFFENSE. WE. SHOULD. SEE. ALL. ALONG. Thank you mr bird for bringing this up good sir!!!

Don't count on it. Get ready for a heavy diet of zone reads from predictable sets and personnel. Gus will have to prove it to me before I'm in on that 'hope.'

Have we fired Gus yet?  It’d be ashamed if he’s allowed to coach another Auburn football game.  Great guy, but a damn clown of a football coach.  He should quit chewing gum as it obviously involves too much mental capacity to make a good play call or go for 2 there at the end of the game.

Just now, Swamp Eagle said:

Don't count on it. Get ready for a heavy diet of zone reads from predictable sets and personnel. Gus will have to prove it to me before I'm in on that 'hope.'

O I def agree with you. If it is so obvious by us IDK why it is not to people making 6 and 7 figures who do this to a living.

Oregon had 176 yards and 14 pts in the first qtr and 156 yards and 7 pts the other 3 qtrs.

Oregon had 90 yards rushing at 2.7 ypc

Thank you, defense and thank you, Steele for those adjustments.

Just now, alexava said:

Probably perked up because we finally scored a td

I know I did...........The line seemed much improved........just excited halftime adjustments were made especially defense........wasn't a horribly called game for the exception of some painful moments I thought we played pretty well vs #11.

5 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

Its going into season #7, do you really think that he will do ANYTHING different?...really?

Butthurt we won?

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Oregon had 176 yards and 14 pts in the first qtr and 156 yards and 7 pts the other 3 qtrs.

Oregon had 90 yards rushing at 2.7 ypc

Thank you, defense and thank you, Steele for those adjustments.

They still have a lot of room for improvement, but, yes, great in-game adjustments. 

Now if Gus could do the same. He didn't really make many; Oregon got tired.

Gus was outright terrible but he deserves props for:

not overthinking the situation and realizing that Joey is born to alleviate his historically bad RZ play calling

allowing his passing QB to....pass....when it mattered most. Not playing for the FG especially. 

Good job by him to not throw the game away and let talent talent 

7 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

But the flip of this is that we've had three months to prep for Oregon, too.

Believe they had a new DC which may have made the prep a little harder. Still thought they play calling was not good but this may have accounted for some of the struggles.

Archived