Oregon post game

Auburn2Eugene

I really hope Frank Sanders was in Jerry World for this game!!!! He like all of us had to be having some very serious deja vu!!!! lol

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

He was clearly gassed at the end and hurting a bit because he was asking to com out. The fact remains that we need to establish a RB rotation to keep keep him fresh in those key moments in the game 

Out of 43 rushing attempts for the game he had 24. 

6 minutes ago, war3ag13 said:

For everyone wanting the Auburn call of the last TD:

Now that I see the "spike" on the last TD, I am not impressed by the call.

10 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Hugging my dad after the TD, I accidentally elbowed him in the throat, but a W is a W. Lol

Dang Mav straight McGregor'd your Dad!

Oregon is much better team then most of us expected,  including the players. Are defense won this game, hopefully we can build off that last drive and find some offensive identity. Why can't we copy Oregon's offense it was really hard to stop but simple to run

1 minute ago, The Freak said:

Now that I see the "spike" on the last TD, I am not impressed by the call.

I just do not think Burcham has the right pipes to be the play by play guy for Auburn football and basketball. I know he has paid his dues and was next in line for it I just think Brad Law has a better voice for it. Something is missing. Lack of excitement as well. Jim and Rod ALWAYS brought the level of excitement that a moment warranted. I cannot see that for Andy.

13 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

For this season to be successful w/ Bo, he will need a bit more help. He can definitely become an electric playmaker and he doesn't shy away. He's got the tools but Gus needs to get the run game patched up. Hopefully Whitlow got the jitters out and will continue to be more of a load to bring down in conjunction with that patient style of running because he will need to use it with this OL. 

But also, they still need more juice at RB. Not sure what happened to the stable of talent that we had early on but we're going to need to get something going. Passing-wise we already know about what everyone wants but that's just not our offense and we're going to have to accept it. Drawing those concepts in might be cool but Gus has a mindset to basically aid the run with only certain routes and he will continually stick with it. 

Just hopefully Bo stays healthy and players step up. Still think that we won't be in bad hands if Gatewood ends up at the helm, but I was definitely proven wrong by Bo Nix. Plus that's just an amazing story that I think encapsulates everything people love and want to see out of Auburn. Family, Dreams, and Magic. 

As posted on the other thread. I think Gatewood is a better match for Gus, but man, Bo played his tail off near the end. Especially given the adversity. The kid will be something special but people do need to remember that he won't be able to be a running threat all season. Those hits will pile up in the SEC.

Gus needs to (but won't)tweak his offense to Bo's strengths. The kid is a short and accurate slinger that can take a shot downfield. What we're seeing is Kyler Murray at TAMU, if he would fix the offense then we'd have Kyler Murray at OK. 

As someone said, Gus needs to be a better coach to utilize Bo to his fullest, but Gatewood is the QB that can cover up Gus' mistakes and issues. Those deep routes w/ seemingly no option are basically improvised running plays for a "Scrambling QB" to compliment the run game. Think of them as built in chase off routes that require DBs to have to come out of zones after running stride for stride w/ receivers downfield to hit a big and fast target and then line up again, diagnose window-dressing motions and decipher who gets the ball next. That is the "Trick" of Gus' offense.

5 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

As posted on the other thread. I think Gatewood is a better match for Gus, but man, Bo played his tail off near the end. Especially given the adversity. The kid will be something special but people do need to remember that he won't be able to be a running threat all season. Those hits will pile up in the SEC.

Gus needs to (but won't)tweak his offense to Bo's strengths. The kid is a short and accurate slinger that can take a shot downfield. What we're seeing is Kyler Murray at TAMU, if he would fix the offense then we'd have Kyler Murray at OK. 

As someone said, Gus needs to be a better coach to utilize Bo to his fullest, but Gatewood is the QB that can cover up Gus' mistakes and issues. Those deep routes w/ seemingly no option are basically improvised running plays for a "Scrambling QB" to compliment the run game. Think of them as built in chase off routes that require DBs to have to come out of zones after running stride for stride w/ receivers downfield to hit a big and fast target. That is the "Trick" of Gus' offense.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the tutorial......you add so much to the forum. Love your posts.

Although I fully support Bo as the AU QB1 since the decision has been made, I was hoping that Joey would get the job. He seems to have all the tools that Gus needs, and he's the bigger guy who can take the hits a little better.  

First time we led was with 9 seconds left. 

We ended the game on a 21-0 run. 

Despite rough play calling at times, terrible defense in the beginning of the game, lackadaisical pass routes, and a nervous freshman QB, we somehow won the game. That was one Gutsy win by the team. Amazing. 

Glad we got the win.  But I am sick and tired of coaching being the problem that holds our talent to minimal success.  As a program we are doing everything right but offensive coaching in all aspects from development, to game calling, to adjustments.  Oregon handed us this game by their mistakes, we got lucky.

Man did our boys show a lot of fight down the stretch...Jerry World was awesome...so very proud to be an Auburn Tiger...War Eagle y'all!

It was like watching a slow motion train wreck and then coming-to and learning everyone lived.

Good crowd and atmosphere.  That is a great place to watch a game.

In the post game interview, Gus actually admitted to making a bad call on the 1st and goal after the BigCat turnover.  I have never heard him admit to making a stupid call before.  Sadly, he said the line asked him to let them run the ball in the 2H.  With that talent we should have won by 3 scores 

Defense really came alive after the 1st qtr.  Got penetration and got nasty and started passing out punishment. #33 hits like a hammer.

There is no running game absent Whitlow.  He finds the holes and gets tougher as the game goes on.  He clearly "wanted it" in the 2H.

Nix played better than I expected a freshman to play.  Only one Int was on him...he just missed that throw.  He is faster and has quicker feet than advertised; he can extend plays.  He runs very well. Of his 18 incompletes, 7 or 8 of those had to be throwaways.  He doesn't take stupid sacks.  He made key plays when needed...he also tried to make some he was not in position to make... that 4th down run was big (a crap spot on that one).  Play calling has to give him some crossing routes and intermediate passes.  He was one for six in backshoulder throws.  That needs work.

Who thought that play call with 16 seconds left made sense?

KJ Britt is the real deal. Wow.  No wonder they call him 'downhill'.  Hits hard and has bad intentions.  LB corps had a couple of misfit runs, but overall was fantastic.  Excited to watch KJ play this year. Z McClain and O Pappoe also showed up a couple of times in big spots.  The new LBs are still tough, fast dudes.  Reloaded, no need to rebuild.

Jeremiah Dinson came up BIG when needed.  All over the field.  Made some tough one on one tackles and got to Herbert. Quality player who had a good showing.

Christian Tutt is the man.  Some gutsy plays in the open field and in coverage.  Confident, fast, athletic.  Can't wait to see more of this kid.

Seth Williams is a boss. Nix missed him a few times throughout the game, and he was clearly frustrated.  He showed up on that last drive though.  Kid is an incredible talent with amazing hands and a no-BS attitude.  He is the player I want the pass thrown to with the game on the line.

As per usual, the hype machine did not match the output on the field.  Oregon schemed VERY well for our D-line with a lot of quick screens and slants, and as a result their impact was minimal, though they had some better moments in the second half.  

That Oregon O-line is legit.  They played hard in a losing effort and I do believe we'll see more than one of them on Sundays.  Hats off to them. 

I'd give a kidney to see Big Kat score an 80-some-odd yard scoop and score TD.  So. Close.

I can't tell where the difficulty in the running game stems from.  Is it the O line or the RB position?  I love Boobie's heart, but he doesn't seem to have top-end breakaway speed.  Wouldn't be upset to see more of rotation with Shivers, DJ and even Joiner than we did tonight. Regardless, appreciate how hard they all played in the second half tonight.  They gave their all, and it was inspiring to watch.

Bo is young but clearly has raw talent and a lot of guts.  He pulled through some adversity and found a way to win a really challenging game against a quality team.  Sky's the limit.  His time is now.

I don't think we've seen the last of Joey in the red zone.  

Congrats to Gus and the whole team.

War Eagle.

Wow. The Tigers just beat the number 11 team in the nation at a neutral site on the national stage and some of you folks are complaining?

First year true freshman QB spent the first half getting schooled but he kept gaming.  Head high, eyes downfield even when running away from the rush. Malzahn stuck with him. It paid off and it will keep paying off.

The defense played better and better. They made it possible for the AU offense to get back on the field when they needed to.

That Oregon QB? He's supposedly high round draft pick NFL material. His team lost.

Be happy. Enjoy the win. Great start to the season. 

War Eagle

So many things that can be discussed and analyzed. Game actually went the way I was thinking more or less. I can't wait to talk about it a bit with some of you

55 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I just do not think Burcham has the right pipes to be the play by play guy for Auburn football and basketball. I know he has paid his dues and was next in line for it I just think Brad Law has a better voice for it. Something is missing. Lack of excitement as well. Jim and Rod ALWAYS brought the level of excitement that a moment warranted. I cannot see that for Andy.

I think he just needs time. He has big shoes to fill. I felt like it sounded kind of...forced....i think once he settles in and gets a chemistry with stan and gets the nerves gone he will be more natural and flow better. Not bad.

Just got to the hotel here in Dallas.  Can't believe Auburn pulled that out!  Quick observations that I'm sure have been said but I'm too lazy to read through all the threads:

- Atrocious play calling for much of the game.  Same old 30 yard down field routes and a complete abandonment of the run game in the first half.  Not a way to help a true freshman QB in his first action.  Some slants or bubble screens would have been welcomed early.

- First and goal from the four.  That should be Joey Gatewood time every damn time.  Kicking a field goal there was unacceptable.

- Steele made some fantastic adjustments after the first quarter.  Hats off the DC.

- Nix is a gamer.  He's got a long way to go, but as I said, Gus did him no favors tonight with the play calling.  Very few quick, easy throws like we saw with Oregon and Herbert.  Liked the poise from Nix, maturity to throw the ball away at times, and his elusiveness to avoid a sack.  If he can keep growing, we've got a shot.

- Dear Oregon, it's the biggest opening game of the weekend.  Bring at least a damn pep band.

- Oregon gave everyone a blueprint for how to beat our defense.  Quick hitters and outside runs.  They completely negated the rush at times, especially early.

- That last TD covered the spread!  Cha ching for me!

7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Just got to the hotel here in Dallas.  Can't believe Auburn pulled that out!  Quick observations that I'm sure have been said but I'm too lazy to read through all the threads:

- Atrocious play calling for much of the game.  Same old 30 yard down field routes and a complete abandonment of the run game in the first half.  Not a way to help a true freshman QB in his first action.  Some slants or bubble screens would have been welcomed early.

- First and goal from the four.  That should be Joey Gatewood time every damn time.  Kicking a field goal there was unacceptable.

- Steele made some fantastic adjustments after the first quarter.  Hats off the DC.

- Nix is a gamer.  He's got a long way to go, but as I said, Gus did him no favors tonight with the play calling.  Very few quick, easy throws like we saw with Oregon and Herbert.  Liked the poise from Nix, maturity to throw the ball away at times, and his elusiveness to avoid a sack.  If he can keep growing, we've got a shot.

- Dear Oregon, it's the biggest opening game of the weekend.  Bring at least a damn pep band.

- Oregon gave everyone a blueprint for how to beat our defense.  Quick hitters and outside runs.  They completely negated the rush at times, especially early.

- That last TD covered the spread!  Cha ching for me!

Thanks for the feedback. It’s good to get a perspective from someone seeing the game live. 

I think the bolded statements above were most of our concerns. I got a chance to chat with a couple of our former OL Jonathan Palmer & Xavier D. Their observations where similar. They were leaning to wanting Joey as starter for the main fact that if we’re not going to utilize Bo correctly that Joey would be better to possibly cover up those deficiencies. Plus, they kept referring to the fact we went away from the run in the 1st half. 

After tonight I’m very excited about Bo because the kid clearly has all the tools you want in a QB and leader. But man it is going to suck if we continue not to cater our offense to the personnel we have to be more successful. As you’ve stated, Joey is going to be much needed in the red zone. I’m not a fan of switching QBs and think Bo is very capable of executing but if we’re going to keep being “cute” in the RZ then by all means bring in Joey. He does seem pretty unstoppable in the RZ. 

Archived