Oregon Report Card

StatTiger

For the defense to end up with 12 out of 16 pass is amazing after the way they started.
I'm very happy AU won but still have some serious concerns going forward. The O-Line is going to see some way tougher front 7's going forward and Nix was running for his life last night. I saw Derrick Hall in quite a bit in the 2nd half. Moultry was supposedly going to be the pass rush guy this season. Where was he? His availability(or not) could have a big impact up front.

• Like 1

Where was Smoke Monday...didn’t show up in ESPN’s stat sheet and I don’t remember his name getting called.  Tutt was everywhere though.

• Like 2

• RunInRed featured and pinned this topic
1 hour ago, StatTiger said:

Auburn under Gus Malzahn as head coach was 2-13 in games they trailed by at least 6 points at halftime, coming into the Oregon Game. It included a 0-8 record when trailing by more than 7 points at halftime.

Didn't realize this ... good stuff, as usual, @StatTiger!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Where was Smoke Monday...didn’t show up in ESPN’s stat sheet and I don’t remember his name getting called.  Tutt was everywhere though.

I saw Smoke in the game but it didn't seem like he got a lot of plays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

No more appropriate tweet than this, and by our own site nonetheless 

You act surprised AUFAMILY is the best social media feed to follow 🤷‍♂️ 😉

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, CR said:

For the defense to end up with 12 out of 16 pass is amazing after the way they started.
I'm very happy AU won but still have some serious concerns going forward. The O-Line is going to see some way tougher front 7's going forward and Nix was running for his life last night. I saw Derrick Hall in quite a bit in the 2nd half. Moultry was supposedly going to be the pass rush guy this season. Where was he? His availability(or not) could have a big impact up front.

I would say the OL improved enormously from the first to second half.  Perhaps that was due to the play calling improving.

Thoughts about the OL?

I thought Siposs was good.  Maybe could’ve used a little more hang time.   Carlson was pretty good.  He missed being perfect on the night by a few inches.   Our kick and punt return defenses were awful!!!!   Worst I’ve seen in a long time.   We had one good return on a punt, and it was at the perfect time for a big play.  

Overall, special teams weren’t so special.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Special Teams should never be a “fail” on he report card. Very disappointing all around. 

Regardless of Defense or Offense struggling, our Special Teams play last night was atrocious. Not very special at all. I do not how much you can attribute to Oregon's efforts, but other teams we are measured against are able to get the job done. Special Teams has to get fixed!

• Like 2

Coaching still shows shortcoming.  Tried to run time consuming pattern while Oregon blitzed.  No blitz packages such as safety valves to backs and quick hitches to tight ends.  

Coaches acted surprised that Oregon would blitz a freshman quarterback making his first start.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, CR said:

Injured

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CR said:

OL did better than they’re getting credit for. Oregon was blitzing the heck out of us, and using odd looks to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Carnell said:

Coaching still shows shortcoming.  Tried to run time consuming pattern while Oregon blitzed.  No blitz packages such as safety valves to backs and quick hitches to tight ends.  

Coaches acted surprised that Oregon would blitz a freshman quarterback making his first start.

This is my biggest issue with our pass designs. We always do a double play action that takes the quarterback’s eyes off the defense for 3 seconds and takes those 2 players out of the play (blocking and receiving). We need to throw in some quick slants and outlet routes. Bo was great at using those in A-day! 

Edited by war3ag13

On 9/1/2019 at 8:28 AM, Maverick.AU said:

No more appropriate tweet than this, and by our own site nonetheless 

I really believe CGM and Bo have a bond together and are going to be great together!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, toddc said:

I really believe CGM and Bo have a bond together and are going to be great together!

Seeing him actually coach and talk to a QB extensively after every series was refreshing to see

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Seeing him actually coach and talk to a QB extensively after every series was refreshing to see

I truly believe they are on a mission, “A mission from god “, and the two of them are gonna set the football world on fire.

I thought that was the highlight of CGM coaching Saturday night, especially after Bo's mistakes. I think that helped tremendously in keeping the young qb's head in the game and his confidence from wavering. I likey! War Eagle!

2 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Not only that, but after a couple picks, the Offense didn't go into Turtle-shell mode....even to the point that Gus kept Bo slinging it.  Refreshing trust IMO.

Edited by AUsince72
  • Like 4