Bo Nix will save Gus’ job

AUApostle

Bo Nix will save Gus’ Job  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Will Bo Nix save Gus’ job?

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes, in fact he’ll get a new fat contract and extension.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/08/2019 at 04:00 AM

38 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

That's true at the pro level but not at the collegiate level. A college coach is judge, jury and executioner of his team. It's his creation, his culture and his belief system. 

With the amount of turnover from year to year at the NCAAF level, one player/game shouldn't be enough to save one's job. Auburn got into this mess by handing Gus a cookie contract extension after home wins against Alabama and Georgia and before getting pummeled in the SEC championship game and losing the bowl game to the heavy underdog UCF.

The best Bo could do is buy him another year but that's hardly saving his job.

Gus still hasn't been able to recruit an offensive line and he hasn't coached a good one since he took over for Gene Chizik and those were not his recruits.

Most top class FBS programs wouldn't have given Gus this kind of leash to turn things around especially with very little track record to fall back on.

I disagree. For instance, look at Lincoln Riley. As great of an offensive mind that he his , he has very simple concepts. If you watched the game last night , their wide receivers were running slant routes for TDs.Yes, as a coach, it is important to get people to follow your foundation and to get them motivated and prepared to execute , but you can have the most discipline team and still lose if you don’t have the necessarily talent to offset it. Dabo Swinney isn’t winning NCs at duke, I don’t care how high charisma he is. Same thing with Lincoln Riley. Seriously doubt he has the same success if he was coaching at Texas Tech. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, murpjf88 said:

Gus still hasn't been able to recruit an offensive line and he hasn't coached a good one since he took over for Gene Chizik and those were not his recruits.

You would be very pleased with our 2020 class if you don’t follow recruiting.  Pretty solid class.  

44 minutes ago, DAG said:

I disagree. For instance, look at Lincoln Riley. As great of an offensive mind that he his , he has very simple concepts. If you watched the game last night , their wide receivers were running slant routes for TDs.Yes, as a coach, it is important to get people to follow your foundation and to get them motivated and prepared to execute , but you can have the most discipline team and still lose if you don’t have the necessarily talent to offset it. Dabo Swinney isn’t winning NCs at duke, I don’t care how high charisma he is. Same thing with Lincoln Riley. Seriously doubt he has the same success if he was coaching at Texas Tech. 

Those coaches and schools have a surplus of talent.  JMO but like watching Stidham at Boston....he looks good because he is playing with professional players, guys who know how to run routes, make blocks, and play at a higher level of performance.   JS could not handle the breakdowns, missed blocks and stuff you see in most colleges...not just AU.  But give him time and some top quality receivers and things look different and he's gonna do better at Boston than if he were at Arizona or San Francisco.   He should  give thanks every night that he did not get drafted so bottom ranked teams.

AU has some talented players but not that many if you pay attention to the details of a game.....two receivers right beside each other on a route....or WRs kind of loping through his designated route, etc.    Lack of "getting open" falls mostly on the WRs IMO, not the coaches and not the QBs.     JMO but if you have Jerry Jeudy on your team you are gonna look good as a QB.  

2 hours ago, DAG said:

But Auburn should have the talent. They are a perennial top 10 recruiting team  Auburn has always been a run first offense and there is no run game without a stout offensive line. 

How can Gus say he needs to run the football to be successful, recruit dual threat QB's and then neglect to recruit a strong OL. We'll see what 2020 brings but currently, it's pretty underwhelming.

18 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Great players make coaches jobs a whole lot easier. Kudos to Gus on getting these guys to suit up in the orange and blue. Besides your comment can be applied to any successful coach. 

THANK U!

12 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

But Auburn should have the talent. They are a perennial top 10 recruiting team  Auburn has always been a run first offense and there is no run game without a stout offensive line. 

How can Gus say he needs to run the football to be successful, recruit dual threat QB's and then neglect to recruit a strong OL. We'll see what 2020 brings but currently, it's pretty underwhelming.

Just my opinion, but I think Auburn recruits the best players it can sign. Everyone can use more offensive lineman other than bama or Georgia perhaps but there are just not that many out there... Especially if you have a limited geographical recruiting area.

Someone closer to the high school football scene might say otherwise but from what I have observed most big linemen end up on defense in high school and there are not that many OLs to go around when everyschool needs a dozen or more of them and bama or Georgia has skimmed the cream of the crop. other than those two schools, our offensive line probably compares pretty favorably.

17 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

stupid post

Get behind the TEAM, which includes the coaches or get out of the way.

Which way did you vote?

17 hours ago, DAG said:

One of my favorite quotes from Jason Brown of second chance U. “Coaches don’t win games, players do.” 

To me it’s not a slight in the least bit if people feel players save the coaches job. It is quite true. 

It damn sure won't be the posters on these boards that will win anything, that is also quite true.

1 hour ago, Slammer1 said:

It damn sure won't be the posters on these boards that will win anything, that is also quite true.

Wait, but I thought all the recruits, players, coaches and media were all heavily influenced by what we post on this message board?:dunno:

3 hours ago, Slammer1 said:

I don't know.  I won something for one of my girls once...

giphy (1).gif

18 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

While we are a perinneal too 10 recruiting team, look at who is constantly above us! Alabama, UGA, LSU, and some years A&M. We have talent but half our SEC slate brings in more talent ranking wise than we do. 

The OL recruiting is an extremely valid point and could vary well be the last crack that destroys his foundation at Auburn. So far, the 2020 class has some top ranked JUCO guys which is huge. If everyone that has committed on our OL class signs, we should be in decent shape. Just have to continue with that approach and keep stocked up on lineman even if it means signing more 3* guys and JUCO guys.

21 hours ago, DAG said:

90% of Head coaching is recruiting.... IMO.  The remaining 10% is making sure he has the right position and coordinators in place to develop the recruits and call good games.   

Without the best horses, it's hard to constantly win games as you move deeper in the season and have to deal with major and minor dings and dents.

24 minutes ago, Bathel said:

90% of Head coaching is recruiting.... IMO.  The remaining 10% is making sure he has the right position and coordinators in place to develop the recruits and call good games.   

Without the best horses, it's hard to constantly win games as you move deeper in the season and have to deal with major and minor dings and dents.

I think Chip Kelly is really feeling this right now. I have no doubt he has a great offensive mind, but they are running thin in depth and talent. 

Archived