plays take forever to develop

WhoDatWarEagle

What's your opinion..  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do our plays take too long to develop?

• Yes, they do!
    • No, they don't!
    • Who cares!

One thing that so obvious to me last night was how long our plays take to develop. Same way last year as well. But, it was so obvious to me that Oregon was able to get the ball out of there within like 2 seconds. Then we get the ball and we just look SO slow to develop a freaking play. 

I really do feel like we need to step up the speed of our plays. What's your opinion?

War Damn!

The play that stands out to me as far as slow developing, was that 3rd and 2 reverse. We were behind the 50 yard line and really needed a 1st down to keep the drive going. Running a reverse there allowed their defenders to charge north and south while we wasted time running east and west. This helped them catch us behind the line of scrimmage which forced us to punt. We needed a quicker play to get up the field quickly.

I did notice after the half that Gus put a blocking back in to help pick up the slack from the O line. This helped tremendously.

• WarTiger changed the title to plays take forever to develop
6 hours ago, TigerEyez13 said:

The play that stands out to me as far as slow developing, was that 3rd and 2 reverse. We were behind the 50 yard line and really needed a 1st down to keep the drive going. Running a reverse there allowed their defenders to charge north and south while we wasted time running east and west. This helped them catch us behind the line of scrimmage which forced us to punt. We needed a quicker play to get up the field quickly.

I did notice after the half that Gus put a blocking back in to help pick up the slack from the O line. This helped tremendously.

Oddly enough, I thought that was a really good call. We tried running up the middle on 2nd and short, and they stopped us. Coming back after a long break (this was at the beginning of the 4th I think), I would have expected them to play for another run up the middle and to now have the energy to stop us. I thought the play was a wise call. They just sniffed it out.

I didn’t vote because my answer wasn’t available. Some of our plays are, and some aren’t. We definitely needed to run some more intermediate routes last night when they started blitzing the heck out of us. However, I think we expected to hold up a little better against their pass rush, especially in the second quarter. 

Oregon quick plays worked because our DB’s stayed off. When the DB’s pressed the quick plays were gone. Some plays took too long but some didn’t. Oregon’s DB’s were physical it was hard to get quick completions 

Last year they certainly did.  All the fake RPOs where Stidham held it in the RBs gut for 2-3 seconds (as if JS were a real threat to run every play) only to be followed by a RB run up the gut, WR bubblescreen or JS sprinting left to throw it out of bounds.  That fake only served the purpose of giving the D's front 7 time to read and adapt to the play.

At least Sat night Bo demonstrated that he IS a legit threat to run (maybe not Nick but certainly a Mayfield or Murray).  I was pleasantly surprised at Bo's quicks.  Also the lack of WR-BS's was a VERY pleasant diversion.  Lastly, Bo DID have to sprint out of trouble and toss the ball OOB a few times but he, at least, seemed to be looking down field and trying to find a last second opening.

There were still many issues but I felt the speed of the play development was actually a vast improvement over last year.

11 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I'm scared of KJ......He is Takeo 2.0

KJ Britt is a little ball of hate. He reminds of Stanley McClover, Quentin Groves and Tray Blackmon (especially Tray Blackmon the original "Little Ball of Hate"). This defense reminds me of the 2004 and 2005 defenses.

12 hours ago, AUFriction said:

I didn’t vote because my answer wasn’t available. Some of our plays are, and some aren’t. We definitely needed to run some more intermediate routes last night when they started blitzing the heck out of us. However, I think we expected to hold up a little better against their pass rush, especially in the second quarter. 

Yep - this post.

Archived