Things I Think I Saw: AU vs Oregon

JMR

Thanks for doing these analysis every season Coach , I really appreciate them: 

• Was fun to watch the improvement of K.J. Britt as the game went along. He had a couple of poor run-fits early, but got that corrected pretty quickly. And boy, did he "bring the wood". Love watching that kind of play.

I enjoyed watching the improvement of K.J as well as the game went on; everywhere you looked it was Britt or Tutt. Dinson is a remarkable story in itself and I look for him to have a fantastic season. 

Glad you're back for another year bringing your insight to AUF @JMR. We appreciate it Coach. 

Like you, I think, the breakdowns in pass protection are easy corrections, but I was surprised the run blocking wasn't better with the move back to Gus's man blocking scheme. 

• Like 1

Nice. I look forward to this each week!

I was impressed with the way the defense responded after being on their heels the first part of the game. Truesdell and McClain combined for the big stop on 4th down. TT pushed his man back and the slanting enabled McClain to fill the gap. Huge play in the game. 

As for the offense, when Gus says we have to surround the freshman with good , that is also with coaching. He needs experience and good playcalling. Not giving him easy throws hurt him and Gus got conservative as usual when the opposing defense was cashing in on the run. We ran them to death towards the end but also Boobie as well. I loved the last three offensive playcalls though, and you have to go to the endzone when no one is expecting it, Oregon brought pressure but Nix stepped up in the pocket and gave our big WR a chance. If the DB Knocks it out, we still can kick the FG. Good call by Gus. Trust the QB and trust himself. Hope to see more of that.

• Like 2

• WarTiger changed the title to Things I Think I Saw: AU vs Oregon

I know you somehow addressed it, but I think Gus doesn't have any confident in our OL....for having 9 months to prepare for the game, our 1st play was a trick play (for 2 yards), that tells me he felt we couldn't line it up against their defense....either line it up and run, or a play action play...then after Big Cat takes it back to the 3 yard line, instead of running it behind our line, he calls some type of flanker reverse(?), which put us behind....we're NOT good enough to be playing behind the chains.....I was hoping the OL had improved, but it evident there hasn't been the improvement that we've been hearing....my question to an 'old offensive lineman', is it the coaching or our players???? Unless there's a change in personal with our OL, next season our OL will have had no varsity starts....

I was left with 3 major frustrations after the game....1. Play calling 2. OL play and 3. Special teams.....Bo will always give us a chance to compete; he's probably the most competitive QB we've had since Nick....

Appreciate your insight of the games; keep up the good work....

WDE!!!

• Like 2

Just rewatched. Man....Dinson and Tutt.....are machines....I was so focused on the LB and Dline first time I didn't realize how great they played. I think the LB grew up quickly and improved vastly as the game progressed. I thought Noah actually played pretty good. There was one pass completed on him where he had really good coverage but just missed tipping the ball. I also noticed the Dline did better than I initially thought. They got push on the inside alot second half. I love the Defense. Offense....got some things to clean up to say the least. War Damn

• Like 1

Phillip Marshall said,

“Nobody, other than maybe those on the Auburn sideline, would have guessed Auburn would score 21 unanswered points in the final 19:20 of the game. Nobody would have guessed when Oregon had 176 yards after a quarter that it would have 166 yards total over the final three quarters. Nobody would have guessed when Oregon had 67 rushing yards in the first quarter that it would have just 28 yards the rest of the game.”

STORY of the GAME in a nutshell!

Edited by toddc
  • Like 4

• RunInRed featured and pinned this topic

Thanks Coach. I was offline and missed the game, so just now watching some highlights of the game. Your notes are always informative, and today even moreso as I now get back to the Interwebs.

I do think the run has to be established better and earlier. OL and Boobee just need to soften defense up and then start rotating the rest of the crew in to gash em. I would have like to see some more of our other backs once Boobee was obviously gassed. That last play on the long drive he wasn’t injured, he was SPENT. 

• Love 1

Appreciate you taking the time and effort to comment again this year, Coach.  Great stuff.  One item...while going for 1 vice 2 after the final AU TD is a decision worth plenty of discussion, it made the AU lead 6 points, not 5.  With a 6 point cushion, Oregon would have needed the PAT, in addition to a successful Hail Mary, to win.  I was more surprised Coach Malzahn didn’t go for 2, even with the False Start penalty, after the first AU TD.  If unsuccessful, AU could still have taken the lead with a FG or TD.  Thanks again, Coach.

19 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Nice. I look forward to this each week!

I was impressed with the way the defense responded after being on their heels the first part of the game. Truesdell and McClain combined for the big stop on 4th down. TT pushed his man back and the slanting enabled McClain to fill the gap. Huge play in the game. 

AMEN!  :bow:

Anyone else notice how totally gassed Marlon Davidson looked when he came off the field - I think - in the the 2nd quarter?  

I thought our defense was done at that point.

Thanks coach!  You need to be on Auburn's coaching staff! Seriously.... I love the way you break things down and how much sense it makes to green-horns like me.  Both sides of the ball looked really good most of the time, but had enough hiccups to scare me!

WDE!! 

• Like 1

Interesting on Joiner's missed block ... was wondering why he didn't see action again after the Wheel Route ... kid is explosive, going to be a player ...

• Like 1

Love reading your take Coach. Thanks......Super Interesting, made me think about some of the things that I did not see.

I actually think this weeks against Tulane will be interesting, based on their first game. I would love to kill them and get a lot of P-time to second teamers. 

Man I absolutely love these threads. So much good stuff in these and I really appreciate how you break it down in a way we all can understand. Thank you sir.