Upon Further Review - Oregon Game

StatTiger

35 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

JaTarvious Whitlow, Kam Martin and Shaun Shivers combined for 32 rush attempts. They were held to 3-yards or less 19 times (59.3 percent).

And how many of those 19 runs were by Martin and Shivers?

• Dislike 1

That fumble recovery stat going up like that is a testament to Steele teaching everyone run to the ball/swarm the ball carrier! Thanks @StatTiger for your incredible work on these posts!

19 minutes ago, Brannigan's Law said:

How easy is it to run when the blocking isn't there?

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 7:49 PM, Rednilla said:

How easy is it to run when the blocking isn't there?

It appeared to me, watching the game on TV, that Whitlow was getting a lot of yards after and during heavy contact. He was probably taking a beating for his effort.

Martin seemed to be picking a soft spot and getting through it pretty quickly. I also thought he ran with determination.

Shivers, I just don't know. I don't think he had very many good opportunities.

I suspect it was like, as Terry Henly once said, "It was like running in a syrup bucket".

I read @StatTiger post before the game comparing Auburn and Oregon national player rankings by position group. The Auburn defensive line was far superior

to the Oregon offensive line. On the other hand, the Auburn offensive line was slightly inferior to the Oregon defensive line. The game, after the first quarter or so, unfolded according to those two comparisons. We had a very difficult time getting push on their defensive line and they could not run on ours (AU).

Thank you @StatTiger for doing this analysis work and letting all of us benefit from it. 

Edited by CodeRocket

• RunInRed featured and pinned this topic

Only thing I saw was Auburn did not force the fumble. It was an unforced error on the a qb-rb hand off exchange. Everything else seems spot on.

42 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

Shivers, I just don't know. I don't think he had very many good opportunities.

The best opportunity I saw for Shivers, Tega got pushed back and put a leg in front of Worm at the last second tripping him up. Happened midway thru the 1st. He had a wide open lane and would have gashed them hard.

• Like 3

On 9/1/2019 at 6:28 PM, Brannigan's Law said:

4 Martin

4 Shivers

11 Whitlow

Oops...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tigerwings said:

The best opportunity I saw for Shivers, Tega got pushed back and put a leg in front of Worm at the last second tripping him up. Happened midway thru the 1st. He had a wide open lane and would have gashed them hard.

Have to agree that Worm didn’t have as many opportunities as I’d hoped.  Seemed like he was always getting the ball on that end around handoff.  I would have liked to see a couple more traditional style runs with him.  Hopefully he’ll get plenty of chances against Tulane this weekend.

• Like 1

Thanks Stat - I feel like it's Monday morning and I am reading this right before I meet with Gus to discuss his take on things.  

(If that were only the case.)

On 9/1/2019 at 6:14 PM, StatTiger said:

Auburn is now 38-6 under Gus Malzahn when his pass offense averages at least 7.5 yards per pass-attempt on first down.

<wonders if Malzahn is aware of this little nugget>

On 9/3/2019 at 6:33 AM, bigbird said:

4 Martin

4 Shivers

11 Whitlow

Oops...

According to the Box Score I read, Worm only had 4 carries, all of which went for 3 yards or less (4 carries for 2 yards), and KMart also had 4 carries, 3 of which went for 3 yards or less (4 carries for 11 yards with a long of 7).  Although Boobee was much more efficient than either of the other 2, KMart and Worm didn’t get enough opportunities to really make a fair comparison.   I do hope to see more of a rotation moving forward.

As for efficiency, let’s give the ball more to Stove who is currently averaging 36 yards per carry, and Joey Ballgame who currently has a TD every single time he has touched the ball.  🤣🤣🤣