Boobee

Tigerpro2a

This board is a hoot. Two weeks ago there were posts about an embarrassment of riches because we had six solid RB's on the team. Now the popular theme is that the cupboard is bare.

We're solid at RB, but without a proven super star at this point. One will probably emerge. The OL needs to step up or some of those guys waiting in the wings need to be given a chance.

Some of y'all are going to force me to agree with Cole: What size is an SEC running back? Sproles would have done pretty well in this league, to name just one.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

I'm sorry, but size does matter. There are outliers, but for the most part, offensive linemen have certain physical dimensions, DBs, basketball positions, etc. Size matters in every sport.

Barry Sanders was not big prototype back. But the dude was incredible.

Just now, caleb1633 said:

I 100% agree Shivers needs to be on the field a lot more. Most teams would be utilizing him. My argument really has more to do with a primary back that's SEC caliber. Shivers is our most prolific back, by far, but I don't think I'm wrong in my assessment that he couldn't take 20+ carries a game. Every year we've had success, we had a back that could carry the load a considerable amount and make things happen. We don't have that right now.

When have you seen him given the opportunity to do that in order to make that assessment is just my question? He has always been the workhorse & alpha male on his teams. Im not worried about that but I do know if given the opportunity he will shock a lot of you naysayers. Nobody’s going typical, they want to win & are going with who gets the job done. Shivers isnt the only one keeping the bench warm when its already hot outside  

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Not great. But if we take out the top runs when calculating ypc that changes a lot of statistics. That said, I don't think "shut down" is the best way to characterize 96 yards. But he was ineffective much of the game and I want to see Worm, DJ, Joiner getting the rock. Worm just needs a crease and he's gone.

For me, when analyzing a performance, I always take their best and worst out. To me it gives a better true avg.

We all know coach takes four games to figure out how to get the ball rolling, lol. He'll eventually find his Pettway no matter who it is. But as for the height/size thing: I though Mike Dyer sort of put that to bed. We'll see plenty of Shivers in the coming weeks, and he will make a difference in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

When have you seen him given the opportunity to do that in order to make that assessment is just my question? He has always been the workhorse & alpha male on his teams. Im not worried about that but I do know if given the opportunity he will shock a lot of you naysayers. Nobody’s going typical, they want to win & are going with who gets the job done. Shivers isnt the only one keeping the bench warm when its already hot outside  

Minus VERY few exceptions, no P5 teams run a 175 lb back 20+ times per game. He would make a difference if he got carries, and sure as hell wish he would, but Martin and Shivers don't have the size to take an SEC beating for 13 weeks at 20+ carries a game. There's nothing wrong with that! Everyone serves their purpose and we need the game changers like Shivers and it's a shame he isn't getting carries, but we need a guy who can be a dynamic PRIMARY back.

Just now, caleb1633 said:

Minus VERY few exceptions, no P5 teams run a 175 lb back 20+ times per game. He would make a difference if he got carries, and sure as hell wish he would, but Martin and Shivers don't have the size to take an SEC beating for 13 weeks at 20+ carries a game. There's nothing wrong with that! Everyone serves their purpose and we need the game changers like Shivers and it's a shame he isn't getting carries, but we need a guy who can be a dynamic PRIMARY back.

Since we dishing out opinions.... Your a pure joke! Im done waisting my time discussing it with you... have a better day! 

I think it's a valid criticism of Gus that he never wants to share the rock when the game is still in doubt.  If you want your best back fresh in the 4th quarter, you've got to trust the backups in the 1st and 2nd quarter to carry some of the load.  This really needs to change.  We have quality backups, and the starter isn't a superstar.  If he can't do it this year, then he will never do it.

Its 6 backs on the dept chart & we are looking to down play what 2 of them can do is stupid in itself when the load can be shared. The real goal is trying to get a 1,000 yard rusher instead of trying to win games the right way! 

3 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

Since we dishing out opinions.... Your a pure joke! Im done waisting my time discussing it with you... have a better day! 

Well, you know nothing about me. Judging someone based on their opinion about sports is pretty juvenile. But nonetheless, I hope you're right about Shivers and he gets the start and surprises me. I'd love nothing more than to see him become the next KJ.

2 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

Its 6 backs on the dept chart & we are looking to down play what 2 of them can do is stupid in itself when the load can be shared. The real goal is trying to get a 1,000 yard rusher instead if trying to win games the right way! 

And if used properly, their freshness would lead to an increase in YPC and actually make getting close to 1000yds easier. I'd much rather have three 650 yard backs than one 1000 yarder.

29 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If you truly haven't posted in years, then I must have confused you with someone who has a similar negative posting style towards Auburn.  Maybe the other guy will appear here and y'all can buddy up.

And in a shocking turn of events, Mikey has opened that big ass mouth without knowing what he's talking about...oh wait...that's the norm. A true keyboard warrior, chomping at the bit to blast anyone who might have a different opinion than his own. You must be an absolute joy to be around if politics is ever mentioned...or religion...or anything where folks might view things in different ways. Not everyone who thinks differently than you is of inferior intelligence. You should really find a hobby other than patrolling a message board waiting for any opportunity you can find to call someone out. 

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

For me, when analyzing a performance, I always take their best and worst out. To me it gives a better true avg.

There were adjustments made in the second half that made a difference.

5 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Well, you know nothing about me. Judging someone based on their opinion about sports is pretty juvenile. But nonetheless, I hope you're right about Shivers and he gets the start and surprises me. I'd love nothing more than to see him become the next KJ.

Its just as juvenile as was your opinion because you dont know my son or what he can do. It doesnt matter & there is no need to surprise you. What he does, he does for himself. The goal is NEVER try to be like someone else. KJ is NOT the best back to come out of AU & if thats also your opinion then you definitely don’t really know football & thats no knock on KJ, thats a factual statement. Lastly, He will NEVER be the next KJ because he is Shaun Shivers! 

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Two weeks ago there were posts about an embarrassment of riches because we had six solid RB's on the team.

Two weeks ago we were at the end of the hype season.  Back then we had one of the best OL in the country and our True Freshman QB was the 2nd coming of Trevor Lawrence.  The rigid rod of reality has set in and we now have to hope for improvement from week to week.  

11 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

xT8qBunBN9HDmaur1C.gif

Well Walter Payton is the best running back IMO and he was 200 on a heavy day. I think you can look at shivers and see he's explosive and can be productive....he just need a chance to get 5-6 carries in a row and get started like everybody else. He hasn't had that opportunity yet so saying he can't do something doesn't make sense. 

And we REALLY don't even need s back to carry the ball 25 times with our depth, we just need a good o line and good play calling

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Well Walter Payton is the best running back IMO and he was 200 on a heavy day. I think you can look at shivers and see he's explosive and can be productive....he just need a chance to get 5-6 carries in a row and get started like everybody else. He hasn't had that opportunity yet so saying he can't do something doesn't make sense. 

And we REALLY don't even need s back to carry the ball 25 times with our depth, we just need a good o line and good play calling

Nailed it. No reason for us not to be splitting carries. I'm fine with Whitlow as the primary if he's all we have. It's the complete absence of carries for everyone else that is baffling

5 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

Its just as juvenile as was your opinion because you dont know my son or what he can do. It doesnt matter & there is no need to surprise you. What he does, he does for himself. The goal is NEVER try to be like someone else. KJ is NOT the best back to come out of AU & if thats also your opinion then you definitely don’t really know football & thats no knock on KJ, thats a factual statement. Lastly, He will NEVER be the next KJ because he is Shaun Shivers! 

K

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Emmitt Smith and Warrick Dunn were too small to carry the load.

33 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

I 100% agree Shivers needs to be on the field a lot more. Most teams would be utilizing him. My argument really has more to do with a primary back that's SEC caliber. Shivers is our most prolific back, by far, but I don't think I'm wrong in my assessment that he couldn't take 20+ carries a game. Every year we've had success, we had a back that could carry the load a considerable amount and make things happen. We don't have that right now.

I'm sorry but I don't think ANY RB should be toting the rock 20+ times a game. There's a reason why Cadillac has said he wanted to spread the ball to many different people. Over 20 carries and you're going to be way more tired then if you allow 3-4 running backs to have 10-12 carries a game and change the pace up. Just imagine if you had Whitlow and Shivers in the backfield and had you allowed Shivers to use his speed to get to the outside while you allowed Whitlow to run more of an inside game.

You can't have success in running the ball when you're not changing the runs up. Continuously rushing Kam and Boobee in the middle didn't work but once you started pulling the guards and letting them run on the outside you had success. The longest run of the game was a 24 yarder that was to the outside with pulling guards. Why the hell couldn't Shivers been taking those runs to mix things up and allowing him to use his speed? Idiotic playcalling

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

Emmitt Smith and Warrick Dunn were too small to carry the load.

Barry too, we was around 200 

Archived