Boobee

Tigerpro2a

I couldn’t care less about size or lack thereof, or who is an upperclassman vs a freshman. We need production and the most likely scenario for that (besides replacing a couple of interior lineman) is to let Caddy (not Gus)determine the rotation and get the most productive players the most reps. Shivers, Martin, and even Miller have all proven to produce when allowed to get reps. 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

I'm sorry but I don't think ANY RB should be toting the rock 20+ times a game. There's a reason why Cadillac has said he wanted to spread the ball to many different people. Over 20 carries and you're going to be way more tired then if you allow 3-4 running backs to have 10-12 carries a game and change the pace up. Just imagine if you had Whitlow and Shivers in the backfield and had you allowed Shivers to use his speed to get to the outside while you allowed Whitlow to run more of an inside game.

You can't have success in running the ball when you're not changing the runs up. Continuously rushing Kam and Boobee in the middle didn't work but once you started pulling the guards and letting them run on the outside you had success. The longest run of the game was a 24 yarder that was to the outside with pulling guards. Why the hell couldn't Shivers been taking those runs to mix things up and allowing him to use his speed? Idiotic playcalling

I don't think anyone will disagree that the utilization of our backs has been asinine thus far. Kam shouldn't be carrying the ball up the middle. Every run Whitlow gets is up the middle. Shivers never carries the ball. Cadillac may want to spread the ball around, and maybe we shouldn't have a back carrying 20+ times a game, but the coaches have yet to put into action what they say.

43 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So what's the size of an average SEC back?

Not SEC specifically, but a decent article about NFL RB's.  There was a better one I've seen but couldn't find it.  Here's the link: RB SIZE

Here are a couple of charts from the article:

The players mentioned are examples, not the only top-10 RBs of that height. Group 2, the 5'9" players, outperformed the other groups in virtually every category: rushing yards, rushing TDs (by a huge margin), first downs, and first down %. The advantage is so large that you can subtract Emmitt Smith from the group entirely, and it still leads in most categories, plus it passes Group 1 (the shortest players) for best rushing average (4.84).

Chart

Chart

16 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Not SEC specifically, but a decent article about NFL RB's.  There was a better one I've seen but couldn't find it.  Here's the link: RB SIZE

Here are a couple of charts from the article:

The players mentioned are examples, not the only top-10 RBs of that height. Group 2, the 5'9" players, outperformed the other groups in virtually every category: rushing yards, rushing TDs (by a huge margin), first downs, and first down %. The advantage is so large that you can subtract Emmitt Smith from the group entirely, and it still leads in most categories, plus it passes Group 1 (the shortest players) for best rushing average (4.84).

Chart

Chart

That sounds about right. I'd have said 5'9"-5'10" and around 200 lbs was the ideal size for an RB.

43 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

There were adjustments made in the second half that made a difference.

Ok.  Two weeks in a row now.

Just what are those adjustments?  Why can't we make them earlier?

How does the 1st half OL compare to the 2nd half OL?

Experts, please enlighten us!

Seriously.

12 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Seriously.

The only difference is that the other team's OL gets worn out. That won't work against SEC teams.

Just now, caleb1633 said:

The only difference is that the other team's OL gets worn out. That won't work against SEC teams.

I'm surprised to hear that.

As slow a pace was the first half and then coming out right at the beginning of the third quarter, I would think the DL would be pretty well rested.

When is DJ expected back? 

I feel like we will start to see more of Worm. No reason, just a feeling. 

Very appreciative of Whitlow. I read he had three fumbles, although I only remember two (not appreciative of fumbles).

Man, props to all players and fans at that game. It was easily one of the hottest I have been to. I had the ac blasting in the car and a fan on me, and I still couldn’t cool down on the way home. 

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

Seriously.

Much like it did against Oregon a week earlier, Auburn adjusted at halftime and began to find success with the run game. Specifically, Auburn was able to essentially put the game away on its second drive of the second half, when it put together an 11-play, 82-yard touchdown drive that took 5:20 off the clock and gave the Tigers a 21-6 lead with fewer than 17 minutes left in the game.

On that drive, Auburn ran the ball nine times, with Whitlow rushing for 54 yards and capping it off with a 14-yard touchdown on a direct snap. The Tigers turned to the Wildcat, called buck sweeps and pulled its guards to create some space for Whitlow to the outside on the drive, and it paid off.   (Tom Green) al.com 

Nobody cares about my opinion. I believe Au needs to get the rb lineup straight . Boobee had fumble issues all year last year and nothing has changed. He is more concerned with high stepping than ball security. I would cut his carries in half until he showed he can hold on to the ball . Shivers is the one who is not getting a fair shake .he is tough and can carry the load.  Also hope to see DJ Williams soon. 

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Well Walter Payton is the best running back IMO and he was 200 on a heavy day. I think you can look at shivers and see he's explosive and can be productive....he just need a chance to get 5-6 carries in a row and get started like everybody else. He hasn't had that opportunity yet so saying he can't do something doesn't make sense. 

And we REALLY don't even need s back to carry the ball 25 times with our depth, we just need a good o line and good play calling

100%

It really sucks that other than using him on gadget plays (likely the fake kneel before half before Tulane called timeout), all we do it put him in during garbage time as a decoy for Gatewood. Wish we would've went to him for an entire series in the first half. He has great instincts between the tackles and if he hits a gap, he has coast to coast speed. At this point, with the number of times Whitlow has coughed up the football, the ball security excuse loses its value. 

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Whats the point of having guys who different things if you recruit all of them to tote the rock up the middle lol 

I really dont understand having other guys who can run up the middle and not giving them any burn

Yeah I don’t know why we don’t use the RBs to their best talent and potential. Kam Martin doing HB dives straight into that beast of Tulane..why?

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

Auburn was able to essentially put the game away on its second drive of the second half,

That should've happened in the 1st quarter. Period.

5 hours ago, DAG said:

Yeah I don’t know why we don’t use the RBs to their best talent and potential. Kam Martin doing HB dives straight into that beast of Tulane..why?

Throughout his career, Kam Martin's best runs have been quick pops through the middle, he's very good at that and makes some nice gains. He may have run outside and may be capable of doing more but quick openers is all I remember seeing out of him.

It’s funny how Gus says he makes these adjustments but the whole first half he runs it up the gut right at their stud DT who was going up against our weakest links on the O-line in center and right guard. Why he thinks that is a good plan is beyond me, almost like he doesn’t watch film. I know we all want DJ Williams to come out and tear it up but does anyone realistically see us running effectively up the gut? Would our best bet be to try and get our RB’s running off the tackles and in the flat and letting them use their speed for yards? Asking for an expert, I honestly don’t know and am beyond frustrated with our lack of rushing game

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

Throughout his career, Kam Martin's best runs have been quick pops through the middle, he's very good at that and makes some nice gains. He may have run outside and may be capable of doing more but quick openers is all I remember seeing out of him.

That’s fair. I just know that guy was beasting us the whole game. The middle seemed to be plugged. Whitlow had some pretty good success getting it outside. Hopefully we can see more growth from the line next game. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

That’s fair. I just know that guy was beasting us the whole game. The middle seemed to be plugged. Whitlow had some pretty good success getting it outside. Hopefully we can see more growth from the line next game. 

Just noticed your new avatar. Are you telling us that you're a closet Tennessee fan? :)

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Just noticed your new avatar. Are you telling us that you're a closet Tennessee fan? :)

LMAO. It was the reverse jinx that willed us through our first game,

but it definitely could apply to them and Arkansas tbh. 

21 hours ago, Momma Worm said:

Its 6 backs on the dept chart & we are looking to down play what 2 of them can do is stupid in itself when the load can be shared. The real goal is trying to get a 1,000 yard rusher instead of trying to win games the right way! 

It's insane, Momma. Gus is insane. 

20 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

I'm sorry but I don't think ANY RB should be toting the rock 20+ times a game. There's a reason why Cadillac has said he wanted to spread the ball to many different people. Over 20 carries and you're going to be way more tired then if you allow 3-4 running backs to have 10-12 carries a game and change the pace up. Just imagine if you had Whitlow and Shivers in the backfield and had you allowed Shivers to use his speed to get to the outside while you allowed Whitlow to run more of an inside game.

You can't have success in running the ball when you're not changing the runs up. Continuously rushing Kam and Boobee in the middle didn't work but once you started pulling the guards and letting them run on the outside you had success. The longest run of the game was a 24 yarder that was to the outside with pulling guards. Why the hell couldn't Shivers been taking those runs to mix things up and allowing him to use his speed? Idiotic playcalling

In 2017, Nick Chubb and Sony Michel averaged 15 and 10 carries a game, respectively. Chubb averaged 6 yards a carry and Michel averaged 7.9. Not to mention Swift chipping in 5 carries a game for 618 yards. The 3 of them combined for over 3,000 yards. But clowns around here wanted to puff their chests out because we had the league's leading rusher, even though he couldn't finish the season healthy and was tied for like 14th in the league in yards per carry. 

Horton is gone. Results are the same. We have a Gus problem. 

21 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

I 100% agree Shivers needs to be on the field a lot more. Most teams would be utilizing him. My argument really has more to do with a primary back that's SEC caliber. Shivers is our most prolific back, by far, but I don't think I'm wrong in my assessment that he couldn't take 20+ carries a game. Every year we've had success, we had a back that could carry the load a considerable amount and make things happen. We don't have that right now.

Please take this idiotic opinion to 5'7" Barry Sanders and watch him laugh in your face. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's a sad, sad thing but I am forced to agree with you. I had hoped Caddy and Dillingham would be able to control substitutions at RB. Apparently that's not happening, at least not yet. In times past there have been some situations in which sticking with the #1 guy through 30 carries per game could be justified. I see no such justification now. I'll admit that K. Martin may be somewhat limited but Shivers and Joiner should be ready to go full time and make all the plays. Now is the time to find out what they are capable of, not out of necessity in the 4th quarter vs. LSU.

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Let's be honest. We already knew that. It's why all these running back debates are purely academic with Gus. Doesn't matter how good some of these backs are. Gus is going to do what he is going to do. 

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's a sad, sad thing but I am forced to agree with you. I had hoped Caddy and Dillingham would be able to control substitutions at RB. Apparently that's not happening, at least not yet. In times past there have been some situations in which sticking with the #1 guy through 30 carries per game could be justified. I see no such justification now. I'll admit that K. Martin may be somewhat limited but Shivers and Joiner should be ready to go full time and make all the plays. Now is the time to find out what they are capable of, not out of necessity in the 4th quarter vs. LSU.

Damn straight.

Just now, Barnacle said:

Let's be honest. We already knew that. It's why all these running back debates are purely academic with Gus. Doesn't matter how good some of these backs are. Gus is going to do what he is going to do. 

You and I and most others already knew that. If there's a silver lining in any of this, it's that it's not really up for debate anymore. But that's not much of a silver lining and I think all of us who have been so critical all this time were hoping to be wrong about all of it. Some of it remains to be seen- evidently Bo attempted 9 passes in the middle of the field the other night!- but on this count, Gus is inarguably remaining faithful to a failing strategy.

Archived