Football Complex Closer (merged threads)

toddc

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I just want to know why the hell Northwestern is spending $270 million on anything related to football. 

It's not a FOF..  It's for all sports and will also have classroom space.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 2:16 PM, AUsince72 said:

I'm partial to this one.

Note: Half of it's even for sale.  I'll bet the PTB at AU could swing a budget to purchase both halves.

sduaajszxlkll8twpaxi.jpg

CLASSIC!

18 hours ago, doc4aday said:

what schools (SEC) besides us, that do not have a football only complex?  It is shameful that South Carolina has this facility and we do not. The mindset needs a huge mental enema and get all of the brain poop out and proceed like a wild man in a patch of strawberries ready for the picking.

Florida doesn’t have one, but they’re about to either build or already in the process of building a football-only facility.

I agree, we gotta get with the program  & build this state-of-the-art football-only facility before our facilities end up at the bottom of the SEC. That’s what I don’t wanna see.

Meanwhile, Bama trustees approved a 106 million dollar renovation budget for BD Stadium which is already light years ahead of JH. AU just seems to have no sense of urgency when it comes to improving athletic facilities which even AU reporters say is much closer to the bottom of the SEC than the top. Oh well, I guess we've the JJ Tron to watch.

I know we have discussed multiple & multiple times why Auburn has to do things slow and stagnant.  This is out there in left field a bit, but I have thought on several occasions maybe there are some REC moles hidden within our athletic infrastructure determined to keep us where we are. (Red elephant club...REC) I would not put anything past bammer to do whatever they can do without getting caught sabotaging our efforts. Sounds crazy and if you think so, I can understand totally.

Just a theory on this Saturday afternoon of football.  BTW....I am going to predict that Texas brings it on to LSU tonight and shuts down the tigers passing game. I watched the LSU GSU game and came away thinking that they beat a weak team that likely all SEC teams would have done with similar results. I do not like LSU and have good reasons for this that I might discuss at a later date. Their fans in tiger stadium have a bad reputation of borderline criminal activities against opposing fans. I am sure many of you who have gone to games in BR know what I am talking about.

Texas 38

lsu 17

I hope I am right.  

lastly TAMU 28 Clemson 21 

On 9/5/2019 at 1:39 PM, RunInRed said:

Back to topic ... from a design/requirements perspective, who would you call the benchmark?

Recent examples:

Clemson - $55M

image.png

Northwestern - $270M

image.png

Oregon - $68M

P40358_00_HatfieldDowlin_N14_printlarge.

Florida State - $60M

Outside.jpeg

Michigan - $168M

Image result for michigan performance center

Oklahoma - $160M

Image result for oklahoma football facility

South Carolina - $50M

Image result for south carolina football facility

Texas A&M - $20M (Renovation)

Image result for texas a&m bright football complex

My personal favorite of all of these is definitely Oregon. Close seconds are Michigan and Clemson.

On 9/6/2019 at 1:28 PM, Zeek said:

Agreed, if there's a chance it can somehow be attached to JHS I'm all for it. Tell me it wouldn't be cool for the players and wouldn't it add even more connection to protecting their "home". I really like what most schools have done though I worry, like our locker room, I'm just going to be incredibly underwhelmed. 

The only reason why I would agree to this is because it would knock out two birds with one stone. The north endzone is in a dire need of a facelift. Imagine an attached FOF with this as the interior of the stadium. (or the two screens on the corners instead of a massive one)

north-end-insidejpg-910415cef474e101.jpg

10 hours ago, logan adams said:

The only reason why I would agree to this is because it would knock out two birds with one stone. The north endzone is in a dire need of a facelift. Imagine an attached FOF with this as the interior of the stadium. (or the two screens on the corners instead of a massive one)

north-end-insidejpg-910415cef474e101.jpg

I like this a lot and I imagine it would be easier to gain support if people knew it was accomplishing both. This is repeating my previous post but the idea of having where you practice, hangout, study, and bond connected to where you compete just seems so cool. Plus, not a bad idea to walk recruits through there before a game.

Edit: so long as they still do some type of tiger walk.

I thought this deserved it’s own thread!

Board of Trustees approve football facility project

ByBRANDON MARCELLO 49 minutes ago 

Share6 Comments

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn made its first formal step Friday to build a state-of-the-art facility to house the football program.

Auburn University's Board of Trustees approved the initiation of a "football performance center" project during its quarterly meeting inside the Auburn University Hotel. The first step for the Auburn athletics department: selecting an architect and entering the design phase of the project.

"The intent of the propose Football Performance Center is to provide the Auburn University football team with key and essential capabilities and resources needed to successfully compete within the Southeastern Conference and with national peer programs," according to materials provided to the Board of Trustees last week. "The anticipated facility would enhance student-athlete development with space dedicated to strength and conditioning, health and recovery, and sports science, as well as to team meeting rooms, coach and staff offices, equipment storage space, and common areas."

PAID CONTENT BY WWW.BIKEBERRY.COM

BikeBerry Bicycle Engines - Lowest Prices Guaranteed

Bicycle Engines, Scooters, DIY Kits & More. Visit Our Site & Get Yours Today!

The facility will be financed by gifts and general revenue bonds paid for by the athletics department. The long-discussed project reached a turning point behind the scenes in May, sources told Auburn Undercover at the time. Fundraising had or was expected to soon hit the halfway mark of a tentatively-set estimate of a $60 million price tag for the facility. A confirmed cost for the project was not presented or announced at the Board of Trustees meeting Friday.

"Construction, particularly, as y’all heard today, all the work that’s going on, not only at the university but in the city of Auburn, and the construction costs just around the country are more expensive and are rising," Auburn athletics director Allen Greene said. "So that’s something that we’ll take into consideration as we look to engage an architect."

Auburn has danced around the idea of building a football facility since Gus Malzahn led the program to the BCS National Championship in January 2014. Malzahn and Auburn decided to not pursue the facility at the time, but several years later it became obvious a new facility was needed as other sports and departments crowded the 30-year-old Auburn Athletics Complex.

“We are very appreciative of the Board of Trustees’ approval of a football performance center,” Malzahn said in a statement. “This facility will be a tremendous asset for Auburn and the Auburn football program for many years to come.”

In June 2019 a 10-person working group was formed to explore the options of a football performance center, and the benefits associated with repurposing existing football space to better serve the entire student-athlete population.

Dan King, associate vice president of facilities at Auburn University, and Greene presented plans for the football performance center to the property and facilities committee Thursday morning. Greene made the football facility a priority shortly after his arrival as athletics director in February 2018.

*** Get 30% off an annual membershipand receive the latest Auburn recruiting and team scoops ***

*** Get FREE Auburn breaking news in your inbox ***

Greene hopes to make Auburn's facility much different on the inside compared to other facilities recently opened at Clemson and South Carolina.

"We have thought about what would be in it," Greene said. "So four walls are four walls, but I think paying particular attention about the details of what's inside and the functionality will set our facility apart from others. We don't have any firm concepts — sorry, we don't have any firm designs — but we've got some concepts in terms of technology that may be able to rival some others."

Malzahn pledged $2 million toward the facility in September 2018, and several notable alumni have also promised sizable donations, Auburn Undercover has learned.

Greene told Auburn Undercover in February he expected the timeline for the facility — from the design phase to its grand opening — to be completed in three years or less should the board approve all of the necessary steps along the way. Should that happen, Auburn will begin the largest construction project for the athletics department since Auburn Arena opened its doors in 2010. The basketball arena cost $86 million.

6COMMENTS

The design phase for the football facility should encompass one year, and construction will require an additional year. Administrators in the athletics department grew increasingly confident in March and April as fundraising efforts ramped up under Greene, sources told Auburn Undercover at the time (March 27 and April 24).

It’s not clear if a location for the facility has been finalized, but the most likely spot appears to be near the corner of Biggio Drive and Samford Avenue, where the old outdoor track is located on campus. The piece of land is in the heart of the athletics hub of the university. Only Biggio Drive separates the old track from the football practice facilities attached to the Auburn Athletics Complex.

1. Don’t give me this “may be able to rival some others.” Give me THE BEST DAMN FACILITY IN THE COUNTRY. Speak with some bravado!

2. Like I said in another thread it seems like attaching it to JHS would be awesome.

3. I’m sure this goes against policy but if I’m an AD and the school was dragging their feet I would have been at least tentatively been working with an architect so that when it was green lighted maybe you could save a year or so on the process.

I know I’m complaining when I should be happy but the way this things been discussed it absolutely blows my mind; how in the hell were we not at this step a while ago? We should be on the verge of starting the construction process not getting approval to start talking about it.

If Auburn wants to do it right I’ll tell you now that $60 million will not be enough.

@Zeek I dont disagree woth anything, only, auburn has started this process about 6x. If we had pulled the trigger way back when we would probably be talking about upgrading not just constructing

Question:

with the talent within the university is it not possible to design our own complex and then contract the work out?  

Or at least let the school of architecture to have the opportunity to put forth a design.

1 hour ago, 1auburn1 said:

Ready in three years??   Better debit Gus’ bank account now!

Don't worry, he'll find a way to win 10 games next year. Then we'll sign him to a 7 year extension. yay.

A year to design and then 2 years to complete construction? This leaves ample time for us to make changes and amends at the tail end of construction. 2 years is a long time when it comes to advancements of technology. Hopefully this will follow that trend and adjust accordingly.

" The facility will be financed by gifts and general revenue bonds paid for by the athletics department."

NOW we're talking.... :)

" from the design phase to its grand opening — to be completed in three years or less should  the board approve all of the necessary steps along the way."

.... uuuuh. :(

2 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

Ready in three years??   Better debit Gus’ bank account now!

47 minutes ago, api1957 said:

Don't worry, he'll find a way to win 10 games next year. Then we'll sign him to a 7 year extension. yay.

Why dont you guys take this crap elsewhere? No need to ruin every positive thread with your childish, snarky shots at the coach. It's old and tired. This is good news. No reason whatsoever for it.

1 hour ago, boisnumber1 said:

Why dont you guys take this crap elsewhere? No need to ruin every positive thread with your childish, snarky shots at the coach. It's old and tired. This is good news. No reason whatsoever for it.

Deal with it. 

Archived