Bo Nix Leads SEC Quarterbacks in Rushing Yards

Zeek

This comes from Bo being a freshman and not seeing some guys wide open at times and other guys with experience going thru progressions. It's actually rare that you could have a kid playing football and it's actually true that he isn't mobile enough to where it can hurt a defense. I would go on and on about this years ago how the dual threat stuff was a funny label and most didn't even understand it. 

Now it's to a point where it's actually more of a negative to have that label as most times it means now people are going to say you can't throw accurate. 

I won't argue and few would understand I think but I'm not sure if Bo is one. I know he certainly can use his legs and get out of a few negative plays, but there are few QB's where their legs are truly a weapon and they have the stamina to sustain this. When Bo ran a few times in a row is when he threw ints or just bad throws in general. I can't say he's a dual threat yet.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, DAG said:

400 yards against crap teams. It is going to see how he develops with Missouri, without the ability to go to a bowl game and in a very weak conference.

This. Sounds more like he went to a place he wouldn't really have to compete to get the starting job and in an offense that will....or should boost his numbers. I mean,  look at Missouri's schedule. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Imagine caring whether or not Bo Nix should be called a dual-threat QB. 

Looks like a threat to me🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Imagine caring whether or not Bo Nix should be called a dual-threat QB. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

This comes from Bo being a freshman and not seeing some guys wide open at times and other guys with experience going thru progressions. It's actually rare that you could have a kid playing football and it's actually true that he isn't mobile enough to where it can hurt a defense. I would go on and on about this years ago how the dual threat stuff was a funny label and most didn't even understand it. 

Now it's to a point where it's actually more of a negative to have that label as most times it means now people are going to say you can't throw accurate. 

I won't argue and few would understand I think but I'm not sure if Bo is one. I know he certainly can use his legs and get out of a few negative plays, but there are few QB's where their legs are truly a weapon and they have the stamina to sustain this. When Bo ran a few times in a row is when he threw ints or just bad throws in general. I can't say he's a dual threat yet.

IDK bro, 3rd and 10, eluding the rush to get a first down is exactly the type of DT this O has been missing. No he isn't a Nick Marshall type that'll run for 60 on you in the blink of an eye, but the "threat" of him converting 3rd and 10 with his legs is exactly what makes him a dual threat IMO. The kid reaches his top speed pretty damn quickly for a QB who's money will be made with his arm.

I 100% agree with the fatigue aspect of it though. He was forced to move around quite a bit because of pressure and IDK if that's a recipe for success considering he's a freshman. But like @McLoofus said, what he's considered doesn't really matter -- it's the fact that he can make a play like this -- and it not being against a crappy opponent is a good thing.

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

IDK bro, 3rd and 10, eluding the rush to get a first down is exactly the type of DT this O has been missing. No he isn't a Nick Marshall type that'll run for 60 on you in the blink of an eye, but the "threat" of him converting 3rd and 10 with his legs is exactly what makes him a dual threat IMO. The kid reaches his top speed pretty damn quickly for a QB who's money will be made with his arm.

I 100% agree with the fatigue aspect of it though. He was forced to move around quite a bit because of pressure and IDK if that's a recipe for success considering he's a freshman

Agreed.

@cole256, I'd honestly never considered fatigue in the equation. I'll pay closer attention to that going forward. 

13 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I 100% agree with the fatigue aspect of it though. He was forced to move around quite a bit because of pressure and IDK if that's a recipe for success considering he's a freshman. But like @McLoofus said, what he's considered doesn't really matter -- it's the fact that he can make a play like this -- and it not being against a crappy opponent is a good thing.

He can definitely move, my point is most of them can. It's actually more rare to find a guy that can't, just like this post is just looking at yards and deciding if you can move or not. It's so much more than that......just like you see it said a guy can run and can't throw isn't a dual threat, a guy that can throw and move isn't necessarily a dual threat....You have to know how to run, how to protect yourself, when to run, ball security.....etc

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed.

@cole256, I'd honestly never considered fatigue in the equation. I'll pay closer attention to that going forward. 

It's literally why people that are so quick to talk negative about Marshall and cam piss me off. I'm just thinking I know you're upset that the throw to Coates was a little off and could be a big play but maybe the fact he's been running and hit 15 times before the throw has a little to do with that. Maybe if they didn't have to deal with that part they would be a little more accurate, but they are sacrificing for the team

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He can definitely move, my point is most of them can. It's actually more rare to find a guy that can't, just like this post is just looking at yards and deciding if you can move or not. It's so much more than that......just like you see it said a guy can run and can't throw isn't a dual threat, a guy that can throw and move isn't necessarily a dual threat....You have to know how to run, how to protect yourself, when to run, ball security.....etc

I thought he did pretty well, didn't expose himself to any hits, always went out of bounds. Took a sack just once, and almost got out of it but the defender tripped him up. You not sold on him yet which is fine. I hope he can continue to do well enough on the ground to make you a believer because it'll help our O big time.

Compared to our last so-called dual threat Stidham he was night and day a better runner and more agile. Stidham couldn't shake a rusher to save his life -- which is fine he has incredible arm talent to make up for it (just wasn't highlighted in our O very well). But the type of runner Bo showed in a limited 4 quarters is what I was expecting out of Stidz considering how he was billed during his recruitment

Edit: to be clear Stidham isn't the bar,  but it was nice to see a QB who can bail out the O in a crappy situation and actually get a 1st down. Because damn we know Gus is gonna put the O in crappy situations throughout the year

I thought he did pretty well, didn't expose himself to any hits, always went out of bounds. Took a sack just once, and almost got out of it but the defender tripped him up. You not sold on him yet which is fine. I hope he can continue to do well enough on the ground to make you a believer because it'll help our O big time.

Compared to our last so-called dual threat Stidham he was night and day a better runner and more agile. Stidham couldn't shake a rusher to save his life -- which is fine he has incredible arm talent to make up for it (just wasn't highlighted in our O very well). But the type of runner Bo showed in a limited 4 quarters is what I was expecting out of Stidz considering how he was billed during his recruitment

Add to that, I think Bo, better recognized pressure, and threw the ball away more in one game to avoid a loss and sack, than Stidham did during a whole year. :)

Just now, steeleagle said:

Add to that, I think Bo, better recognized pressure, and threw the ball away more in one game to avoid a loss and sack, than Stidham did during a whole year. :)

Yup,  @GwillMac6 and I were talking about how many sacks we would've eaten if Stidham was our QB. But Bo was pretty smart with throwing it away a few times -- especially as a true frosh in his first game. A lot of young QBs that has to be taught through several games.

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

Im sold that he can move. He just made turnovers as well, so I'm just thinking can be sustain. Oregon wasn't physical at all and things went our way.....they dropped a td pass, the defense caused a TO right after we turned it over. That was either a td or fg. The turnovers didn't hurt us this particular game. We both know that's not always the case. If he can hold on to the ball and not turn it over then I'll say he's a dual threat. If running makes him turn it over well he's a dual threat but one of the threats is towards us. 

I have hope though. The best throw he made was to Williams on the sideline. His worst throws were him running around as well

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Now that I think about it you sort of reinforce my point, stidham could move but he wasn't good at running

I think Stidham is very mobile. I just don't think he has the instincts to use it effectively in the chaos of live game situations, and especially in 2018 he just eventually got shook by not having decent protection. Once the preseason NFL games slowed down for him a little and he realized he had a pretty clean pocket, I think he showed great mobility and decision making to pick up some first downs with his legs. Nobody will ever mistake him for Lamar Jackson but he's in that A-aron/Steve Young category in terms of the physical attributes necessary for mobility. IMO. 

And Bo is very similar to me physically. I just think/hope he's got a different set of skills between the ears. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I think Stidham is very mobile. I just don't think he has the instincts to use it effectively in the chaos of live game situations, and especially in 2018 he just eventually got shook by not having decent protection. Once the preseason NFL games slowed down for him a little and he realized he had a pretty clean pocket, I think he showed great mobility and decision making to pick up some first downs with his legs. Nobody will ever mistake him for Lamar Jackson but he's in that A-aron/Steve Young category in terms of the physical attributes necessary for mobility. IMO. 

And Bo is very similar to me physically. I just think/hope he's got a different set of skills between the ears. 

Exactly. Just like it's different levels with arm talent, it's different levels to running. Just like throwing the ball hard or far doesn't make you a thrower just having a certain 40 time doesn't make you a great runner. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Now that I think about it you sort of reinforce my point, stidham could move but he wasn't good at running

Good points. Stidham wasn't a stiff like I alluded to earlier he just wasn't a good runner. I'll agree to that. That was unfair of me to say. Especially with all the pressure he faced. 

And Cole, to your previous post -- we definitely dodged some bullets. I don't think we win the game if we played Bama/UGA/LSU/TAMU. I don't know if he'll be able to increase his stamina this season to be able to be running around like he did and still play smart football while being on target. That will take time

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's literally why people that are so quick to talk negative about Marshall and cam piss me off. I'm just thinking I know you're upset that the throw to Coates was a little off and could be a big play but maybe the fact he's been running and hit 15 times before the throw has a little to do with that. Maybe if they didn't have to deal with that part they would be a little more accurate, but they are sacrificing for the team

Bro, you seriously have expanded my mind on this. I'll watch the game differently now. 

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Good points. Stidham wasn't a stiff like I alluded to earlier he just wasn't a good runner. I'll agree to that. That was unfair of me to say. Especially with all the pressure he faced. 

And Cole, to your previous post -- we definitely dodged some bullets. I don't think we win the game if we played Bama/UGA/LSU/TAMU. I don't know if he'll be able to increase his stamina this season to be able to be running around like he did and still play smart football while being on target. That will take time

Sorry, wasn't trying to contradict anything you said. Really, I think we're all saying the same thing. 

Another thing to consider with Bo is sometimes these young guys just aren't smart enough yet to be a little bit scared, lol. 

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Yeah I'm level headed about him though. I'm fair with him. Just like I know he's not some super hero (yet) or really didn't have the greatest game, he came thru when it mattered most and he NEVER gave up so I don't have unreal expectations either. Only thing to me right now is he has to keep the turnover ratio our way. 

We had quite a few plays where the middle was wide open or the reason there was pressure was because he ran sideways away from his block instead of stepping up. As the game slows down for him I think he'll exploit that.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sorry, wasn't trying to contradict anything you said. Really, I think we're all saying the same thing. 

Another thing to consider with Bo is sometimes these young guys just aren't smart enough yet to be a little bit scared, lol. 

On both sides this is what I like about Bo. I like that he'll take off running right now before he'll throw it in the middle of the field. He'll start that when he's more comfortable. 

I think it's coach tomlin that says I'd rather have a guy I have to tell whoa than a guy I have to tell go get him.....I know we see JJ different but this is why I still was with him you give me 3 td's and 3int it's stuff I need to fix but you're out there fighting and being fearless. It's when people gave up on him which tricked to him giving up on himself was when he became lost even though there was a good QB in there. It was hard to watch....I'd hate for that to happen to Bo. I don't want to see it happen to Joey either. Take your risks young man! We're betting on you too!

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Actually a former Auburn player explained it to me. He said it's not viewed the same way which is unfortunate but a guy who's runningaround trying to make plays is actually sacrificing every attempt for the team because every time he does it a chip of his NFL dreams falls off. If he does it too much he won't be looked at as a QB because really what good comes from it for him? If you think about it absolutely nothing.....ultimate sacrifice

Great talk guys! I have to go ace this test and let's do it again later! Preciate you calming me down before my exam!

1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

This. Sounds more like he went to a place he wouldn't really have to compete to get the starting job and in an offense that will....or should boost his numbers. I mean,  look at Missouri's schedule. 

Pretty much where I am at. It will be interesting to see what he does against the likes of UGA and UF. With that being said , I am happy with who we have at QB and how hard they competed knowing they will face the best throughout they year. This means a lot more than empty stats , IMO.

30 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yeah I'm level headed about him though. I'm fair with him. Just like I know he's not some super hero (yet) or really didn't have the greatest game, he came thru when it mattered most and he NEVER gave up so I don't have unreal expectations either. Only thing to me right now is he has to keep the turnover ratio our way. 

We had quite a few plays where the middle was wide open or the reason there was pressure was because he ran sideways away from his block instead of stepping up. As the game slows down for him I think he'll exploit that.

I think Bo is a great QB and will do amazing things for us. First game, adjusting to college speed, knowing his WRs, etc.. it all plays into those turnovers, bad throws, scrambling in the (sometimes) wrong direction. I think he's one of the rare few that will only get better. This might be the worst we see of Nix.

19 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Great talk guys! I have to go ace this test and let's do it again later! Preciate you calming me down before my exam!

Good luck!

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

I think I read in a previous thread that Gus does not like to throw in the middle and maybe OU surmised the same thing and played accordingly.

Archived