Republicans cancel elections to protect Trump from voters having a choice

TexasTiger

While Putin disqualifies key opponents, he generally doesn’t cancel elections. This is one more step towards autocratic rule.

”Four states are poised to cancel their 2020 GOP presidential primaries and caucuses, a move that would cut off oxygen to Donald Trump’s long-shot primary challengers.

Republican parties in South Carolina, Nevada, Arizona and Kansas are expected to finalize the cancellations in meetings this weekend, according to three GOP officials who are familiar with the plans.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/06/republicans-cancel-primaries-trump-challengers-1483126

This is a remarkably undemocratic decision for a political party to publicly make.

I know someone is going to bring up the  "whataboutism" involving Hillary and Donna Brazile which is a valid point, at least conceptually.  The only difference is what the Democratic leadership did was (secretly) corrupt, while what the Republicans are doing is public and institituional. 

For both cases - where I a member of either party - I would agitate for new leadership.

Archived