Offensive Line

AUTiger2012

13 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I don’t think it’s a Grimes problem as much as it’s a talent problem.  I think they’re playing to their ability which unfortunately isn’t great.

LoL this is a hot take right here. 

Grimes recruited all these seniors, but it's not a Grimes problem. LoL you can't make stuff like that up. 😂

Grimes is the cause of all of this. Hand looked like crap because he was coaching Grimes pitiful recruiting. Hand isn't doing too bad in Austin Texas... But he was the problem here 😂

I mean it's like you people don't really pay attention and just believe everything said here. 

Not everything/anything related to Auburn is the best in the business.

AT SOME POINT YOU HAVE TO TAKE OFF THE ORANGE AND BLUE SHADERS. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Not everything anything related to Auburn is the best in the business.

FIFY

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

LoL this is a hot take right here. 

Grimes recruited all these seniors, but it's not a Grimes problem. LoL you can't make stuff like that up. 😂

Grimes is the cause of all of this. Hand looked like crap because he was coaching Grimes pitiful recruiting. 

I mean it's like you people don't really pay attention and just believe everything said here. 

Not everything related to Auburn is the best in the business.

My point was I don’t think the actual coaching of the position has been bad.  My understanding of recruiting pre Hand was heavily influenced by Gus and often times Auburn was left getting whoever they could after they missed the first guy.  Also my understanding is Grimes has had free reign since his return and picked up some pretty good players the past 2 cycles.  I get frustrated just like you watching the product on the field.

Pass protection looks pretty good.  

Let's run a vanilla O out of that and see if the running lanes don't open up.

33 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'd try Hamm 

I remember reading articles this summer about how guys like Hamm and a few of the other younger backups were “maulers” and had a mean streak to them. Really cannot understand why Gus and JB won’t give them a shot, can’t be much worse than what we’re putting out there. Without trying to trash individual players it seems like our left side of the line is pretty good but that the center and right guard position is where we are physically overmatched

11 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

Go watch the same guy at the 2:21  mark as well. 

Watch him get knocked on his rear by a safety at the 0:31 mark (screen to Whitlow)

(No, that was Harrell #77...my bad)

A question about o line. Are they supposed to keep their d lineman in containment for the entire play, or are they taught to contain them for a certain amount of time, then break off and block further down the field? I mean, it seems like the position is pretty straightfoward, but I really don't know much about it, other than what I see with my eyes. They may be doing what they are supposed to be doing, but I can't tell because I'm ignorant on the position.

Stop Auburn's run game.  Load the box with 7-8. Gus only sends 3 out in routes so you still have them covered if it is a pass. Our gap blocking scheme has no chance at run blocking when the box is loaded or one side is overloaded.  LBs follow the H Back because the RB is following him.  Gus's blocking scheme does not account for back side DE or blitzing DB.  In other words, our scheme is known by all DCs.  Gus has not changed anything since he came back.  The DCs have figured out how to stop the run game especially when the QB rarely keeps it.  

“I feel very good about the O-line. Five returning starters is about all a fellow could want.”

I’ll just leave this gem from another thread here. Everyone should feel better after reading it, lol.

I agree our OL is weak, but for heavens sake, the play calling isn't really putting them in ideal positions either.  

Question for the board...

If you were a DC preparing your team for Auburn, how would you attack? Paging Big Bird.

55 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

I agree our OL is weak, but for heavens sake, the play calling isn't really putting them in ideal positions either.  

If you were a DC preparing your team for Auburn, how would you attack? Paging Big Bird.

Maybe if they weren't so weak it would open up the play calling even more?  The interior of the line lost too many man-man battles against Tulane.  We're not talking about creative blitzes causing confusion.  

2 hours ago, around4ever said:

Stop Auburn's run game.  Load the box with 7-8. Gus only sends 3 out in routes so you still have them covered if it is a pass. Our gap blocking scheme has no chance at run blocking when the box is loaded or one side is overloaded.  LBs follow the H Back because the RB is following him.  Gus's blocking scheme does not account for back side DE or blitzing DB.  In other words, our scheme is known by all DCs.  Gus has not changed anything since he came back.  The DCs have figured out how to stop the run game especially when the QB rarely keeps it.  

Right... and the fact that we will not adjust our offense because of the weakness.. sending three guys out on deep routes when you know your qb will have someone in his face before he gets into his drop... run short routes and quick hitters.. screens.. just adjust man.

Man and what if we wouldn't have gotten lucky with prince and his position change?? How bad would this o line be? And we couldn't get the top guys interested in us this year? 

Honestly I do not see how so many were so optimistic for this  season.  The offensive line was  a single point of failure for the team last year.  Let's say we had fired  Gus last November and hired Bob Stoops or even Urban Myer.  They would still have to deal with the current five starters on the offensive line and their inability to execute effectively.  Any coach in college football right now would struggle with these guys.  Obviously, Gus gets 100% of the blame for the current situation.  I am just pointing out that fans for some reason thought that the Purdue game would translate to  this season.   Tulane is more talented  than Purdue.  The o-line was trash all of last season that slowly got  worse during the season, that should not  have translated  to optimism.  JB Grimes has never  been considered  an elite offensive line coach.  Additionally most  of our offensive staff could not land a job at an elite program save Larry Porter.  For some reason two games in to the season people are just now realizing it might be a long year.  Look, it is going to  be a long year.  I just hope we do not make  another bone headed hire.

19 hours ago, doug3020 said:

To defend Gus you need to take away 4 runs and 4 passes; IZ, buck sweep, jet sweep, and wildcat and wr screen, fly, deep post, and crack corner/out

I'd run a 3-4 Tite front, blitz the A-gaps, have my olb as overhang, and run cvr 4 with my corners with inside leverage catch-man.

https://matchquarters.com/2016/10/10/the-3-4-tite-front/

Archived