Offensive Line

AUTiger2012

35 minutes ago, Tiger said:

lol I can't believe some people confused "experienced" with "good" over the summer when it came to our OL

THIIIIIIIS

And "But they improved last year." Um, yeah. From the worst OL anyone's ever seen in Lee County to something that didn't embarrass us against Purdue. Awesome. Yay. Those exactly the same guys and the same coach we want again this year with the freshman QB. 

Oh, by the way, do y'all still think Phil Steele does deep research when he's doing things like ranking offensive lines? Lol. Y'all seriously watched Auburn football 13 times last year and still took the magazine guy's word for it. Wow. 

(To be fair, I think Cole Cubelic rated them 5th in the conference or something like that. I suppose that could be true by season's end, but I'm not sure it matter since we're presumably going to play and lose to all 4 teams above us in that ranking if this OL doesn't improve more in 2 weeks than they did in the last 12 months.)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did a bit of research on our OL recruiting the last 5 years awhile back, and what i saw was that we were not only not recruiting the best players out there, but our number of OL signees was WAY below Bama/UGA and the likes. Like half as many OL signees. If there isn't enough competition or if players don't pan out, you're backing yourself into a corner with the type of result your going to get. It'd be one thing if you only signed 4-5 star OL at every position and recruited half as many as them. But we know that's not the case. If you're signing 3-star OL, you need to sign 2-3 of them in the hopes that one pans out. And if you want depth, you thus need 4-5 players in the hopes that 2 pan out.

That's the biggest problem we got. That's not a JB problem or even a Hand problem (they both sucked at recruiting OL here). The problem lies with Malzahn for not making it a priority. If we're not getting the players or numbers, you go to Juco and start back-filling. You bring in more recruiters to help make certain players priorities. The OL just has NOT been a priority for Malzahn, and it's finally come home to roost.

Next year is going to be a bloodbath when all these senior OL graduate and we're left with an empty cupboard. The death knell is tolling for him and if he isn't fired this year, he'll definitely be fired next year because of it.

13 minutes ago, AUTigerTime said:

I did a bit of research on our OL recruiting the last 5 years awhile back, and what i saw was that we were not only not recruiting the best players out there, but our number of OL signees was WAY below Bama/UGA and the likes. Like half as many OL signees. If there isn't enough competition or if players don't pan out, you're backing yourself into a corner with the type of result your going to get. It'd be one thing if you only signed 4-5 star OL at every position and recruited half as many as them. But we know that's not the case. If you're signing 3-star OL, you need to sign 2-3 of them in the hopes that one pans out. And if you want depth, you thus need 4-5 players in the hopes that 2 pan out.

That's the biggest problem we got. That's not a JB problem or even a Hand problem (they both sucked at recruiting OL here). The problem lies with Malzahn for not making it a priority. If we're not getting the players or numbers, you go to Juco and start back-filling. You bring in more recruiters to help make certain players priorities. The OL just has NOT been a priority for Malzahn, and it's finally come home to roost.

Next year is going to be a bloodbath when all these senior OL graduate and we're left with an empty cupboard. The death knell is tolling for him and if he isn't fired this year, he'll definitely be fired next year because of it.

You nailed it here. I did the same thing last year. Go look at Kentucky’s (yep) OL recruiting. The teams that have good OL do what you mentioned above- target mist have recruits and a significant number of Good (3star) recruits. Why? Competition and depth. 

The only caveat ill add to your post is that the 2020 OL class actually looks good and sometimes guys that are hungry work better than guys that are experienced. 

I just wanna see the dudes we have now play nasty. You can suck, but if youre hitting the dude in front of you hard youll have success

Archived