Tulane Post Game Thread

Auctoritas

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

We had a  second and 2, third and 2, fourth and 2 #28 fumbles. Exact same play all 3 downs in succession.. 

They'll never see it coming

3 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Get ready for the blowout losses when we start playing the SEC teams.  This is just pitiful.  $7 million for pitiful. 

I see double digit losses against the big 3 in the West (Bama, LSU, A&M) and UGA.

I can also see LSU, UGA and Bama all scoring North of 40 points on us, not because of our D, but because our lack of O will keep the D on the field all night.

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

I see double digit losses against the big 3 in the West (Bama, LSU, A&M) and UGA.

I can also see LSU, UGA and Bama all scoring North of 40 points on us, not because of our D, but because our lack of O will keep the D on the field all night.

Yup and the effort of a defense will always drop when the offense isn’t scoring 

I gave Gus credit for opening up the playbook some against oregon. There were some different routes mixed in there. When we didnt score, he came out of the half going back to his old ways running it. It worked against Oregon. Idk what the “adjustments” they made at half of either game but those adjustments gotta get done sooner (like before the game in film review). 

Tonight it looked like Gus went right back to his old offense and while we threw it 29 times, it was the same 5 plays we’ve all seen over the years. Bo and the WR all seem to be on the same page on the out routes/timing routes- use them! 

Gus is gonna have to learn that with this O line we’re gonna have to pass to run. We’ve got to dink and dunk until they spread out and then you pound the ball. 

Tonight was frustrating. Should've scored 24 in the first half. 

Also- big Bo supporter, but if this is what Gus is gonna call just put Joey in

3 hours ago, DAG said:

I absolutely do not believe that and if that is the case Gus needs to go. We should not be playing vanilla and HOPING guys can execute on the road in their first SEC game. Look at the other top tier schools, they definitely aren’t playing vanilla. 

I mean this is one of those things that isn’t an opinion.  They even said this on the post game radio show.  The plays we ran were the exact same plays from last weekend from Oregon.  Which means the looks of each play Tulane knew.  That is what I mean by vanilla.  And the other schools were.  That is why UGA struggled early yesterday.  And Alabama even struggled in the first half against Duke.  I was fine with our play calling, the OL just were not able to make much happen for success.  

Reading through the thread this morning I see the excuses slowly creeping in the the narrative again. 

Gus has a freshman QB

Gus is playing vanilla on offense trying not to tip his hand.

The moon was in the wrong phase

Next it will be because of the injuries 

The common denominator friends is Gus, and his predictable Mickey Mouse offense. His use of specific personnel for specific plays, his mind numbing insistence of running the same running play on every made first down. His lack of recruiting O linemen, and roster management. 

Make all the excuses you want, but the fact is for the fifth year in a row, save for a couple of isolated games, Gus's offense is hot garbage. It's never going to change, so get used to it.

1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

Stop being an apologist for Gus lol. For crying out loud folks, the deficiencies are obvious and are a direct extension of the man in charge. 

I'm all out of reactions already, so i'll just quote this post that sums it up. Some of us saw this years ago

on a good note, every week of frustration and madness that passes means that basketball season is one week closer

26 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I mean this is one of those things that isn’t an opinion.  They even said this on the post game radio show.  The plays we ran were the exact same plays from last weekend from Oregon.  Which means the looks of each play Tulane knew.  That is what I mean by vanilla.  And the other schools were.  That is why UGA struggled early yesterday.  And Alabama even struggled in the first half against Duke.  I was fine with our play calling, the OL just were not able to make much happen for success.  

So instead of preparing for each opponent we are just running the same plays which gives the other team a big advantage if they watched our game film? That is not vanilla.. that is stupidity. 

13 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Gus is playing vanilla on offense trying not to tip his hand.

That isn’t an excuse.  That is what happened.  Ronnie Brown even made a point of this.  Even with the vanilla playcalling, they were good calls, just not executed to the standard we need.  

Just now, AuMarine said:

So instead of preparing for each opponent we are just running the same plays which gives the other team a big advantage if they watched our game film? That is not vanilla.. that is stupidity. 

If that is stupidity every other school is also stupid.  The issue is our execution to make this an issue.  You have to think about it from a competitive standpoint.  I personally would have loved more points.  But I wouldn’t be willing to get that by showing more of our playbook.  Once the game was in hand, why do that?  A win is a win.  Winning by three more touchdowns doesn’t help our record.  Win by 1 point, or by 50, we would still be 2-0.  I’m not saying we played well.  We have a lot to fix.  But from the playcalling it was the correct move.  

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

, they were good calls, just not executed to the standard we need.  

Is that you, Gus?

Just now, abw0004 said:

No just a very tired and dehydrated fan

I know it was hot in JH last night, glad you saw the humor in the statement.

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That isn’t an excuse.  That is what happened.  Ronnie Brown even made a point of this.  Even with the vanilla playcalling, they were good calls, just not executed to the standard we need.  

And they aren’t going to be executed with the same incompetent interior offensive linemen. Tim run blocking they are average at the very best and show no aggression and no improvement from week to week. 

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

I know it was hot in JH last night, glad you saw the humor in the statement.

Man was it ever.  The was one of the worst nights I can remember.  96 degrees and 1,000% humidity.  I was struggling by halftime.

In all seriousness I am just not letting this game affect me as much as others on here.  Frustrating game?  Absolutely. A lot to fix.  But I also can see why some things were done.  Hey we could be Tennessee right now or even Michigan. It’s not worth letting my Sunday be ruined by it.  

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

And they aren’t going to be executed with the same incompetent interior offensive linemen. Tim run blocking they are average at the very best and show no aggression and no improvement from week to week. 

Oh I agree we have a lot to improve on with the OL.  Not disagreeing.  That is why I made the OL statement above.  

9 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

If that is stupidity every other school is also stupid.  The issue is our execution to make this an issue.  You have to think about it from a competitive standpoint.  I personally would have loved more points.  But I wouldn’t be willing to get that by showing more of our playbook.  Once the game was in hand, why do that?  A win is a win.  Winning by three more touchdowns doesn’t help our record.  Win by 1 point, or by 50, we would still be 2-0.  I’m not saying we played well.  We have a lot to fix.  But from the playcalling it was the correct move.  

Are you serious?  so you are telling me that other schools are not preparing for their  opponents  they are just going out there calling plays and hoping they work because they don’t want to give anything away?  Making no adjustments to what the defense is doing? 

I will agree with you that the issues are execution. It’s hard to run on 3rd and 2 when the OL is getting pushed into your face.. but no.. let’s don't give anything away and continue to do the same thing over and over and over.. it’s ridiculous. 

Just now, AuMarine said:

Are you serious?  so you are telling me that other schools are not preparing for their  opponents  they are just going out there calling plays and hoping they work because they don’t want to give anything away?  Making no adjustments to what the defense is doing? 

I will agree with you that the issues are execution. It’s hard to run on 3rd and 2 when the OL is getting pushed into your face.. but no.. let’s don't give anything away and continue to do the same thing over and over and over.. it’s ridiculous. 

I’m not saying that.  I have only been referencing the playcalling.  And our plays called would have worked if our OL could get better off of the line.  And if you go to UGA’s forums they are saying the same thing.  Actually over there they are frustrated that they only run the ball and don’t use their QB the way they should.

Our vanilla play calls should have worked no matter what against Tulane and next week against Kent State.  Bottom line.  And they didn’t.  So we have a lot of fixing to do.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

I’m not saying that.  I have only been referencing the playcalling.  And our plays called would have worked if our OL could get better off of the line.  And if you go to UGA’s forums they are saying the same thing.  Actually over there they are frustrated that they only run the ball and don’t use their QB the way they should.

Our vanilla play calls should have worked no matter what against Tulane and next week against Kent State.  Bottom line.  And they didn’t.  So we have a lot of fixing to do.

Correct on the fixing... and it starts with the OL if the interior line can’t get it going and they are not replaced with someone else.. it is going to be a long long long year.  

‘My biggest concern with the play calling is that what you are calling vanilla is actually the offense we are going to run all year against everyone. 

Meh, we were sluggish against a decent Group of 5 team.  Whatever.  It happens.  I'm choosing to reserve judgement until after 9/21 in College Station.  If we look like garbage on offense at that point, then I'll grab my pitchfork and join the party.

My other thought is if you are going to call a vanilla game.  Call it to our strengths.  

The continuous run up the middle thing is killing me!  I'm beginning to think that's not our strength, particularly when everyone knows what the play is.  

I mean everyone! 

51 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

If we can't execute on Vanilla plays... can't wait to see how they perform when we "open up" the play book...

Sorry, but this routine is getting old.  After one year, OK.  Second year... maybe... but what year is it now that we keep saying the same thing?  I'm so tired of playing to the level of competition we are playing.  Why is that acceptable to anyone?

13 hours ago, DAG said:

2. LSU has a stronger offense than us. They have 3 100 yard receivers in a game. First time in school history.

Every poster who has made fun of Coach O in his LSU tenure needs to step forward for public shame.  That dude is a helluva coach.

Archived