Tulane Post Game Thread

Auctoritas

4 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Every poster who has made fun of Coach O in his LSU tenure needs to step forward for public shame.  That dude is a helluva coach.

I swear some people just assume he is stupid from hearing him speak. 

It's taken him a while to figure out how to be successful as a head coach, and it seems he is finally finding the right formula. He's always been a hell of a recruiter and motivator. Now he has surrounded himself with some excellent coaches and I'd argue the same people who said Orgeron isn't a good coach need to join the folks who have said Burrow isn't a good QB. 

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Bathel said:

If we can't execute on Vanilla plays... can't wait to see how they perform when we "open up" the play book...

Sorry, but this routine is getting old.  After one year, OK.  Second year... maybe... but what year is it now that we keep saying the same thing?  I'm so tired of playing to the level of competition we are playing.  Why is that acceptable to anyone?

Well let me ask you this.  Did you think our playcalling during the Oregon game was vanilla?  I didn’t think so personally.  Reason being, it was a bigger game.  So for our smaller games, recycle plays we have already shown (Oregon plays).  I am willing to bet we see the same plays next week, and then the A&M game we see a different playbook. 

I just don’t see this team having much of a chance against LSU, UGA or Bammer.    On the other hand they will easily beat Kent State, Ole Miss, Arky and Samford.  So having a decent season, getting a good bowl and saving Gus’s job likely hinges on how they do against A&M, MSU and Florida.  Those 3 games in the middle of the season will tell the tale.  

23 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Every poster who has made fun of Coach O in his LSU tenure needs to step forward for public shame.  That dude is a helluva coach.

He has developed into a fine HC and is willing to listen to his coaches and let them do their jobs. Keep and eye on the guy at Louisville, we might need to put his name on "the list"

13 hours ago, AuMarine said:

The play calling is atrocious. I am beginning to believe that all of our plays are predetermined.. Gus tells the QBs when to keep and when to hand off.. and who to throw it too when a pass play is called.. I can’t believe anything else after witnessing the play calling tonight.

End of story.  For Gus it's about control and trust. He has to be in control of every decision, and he doesn't trust his players to make a decision on their own.

Stutterology: Nail Head, Meet Hammer

13 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

But then he'll beat Goergia and Alabama at home and he'll get another extension.

I could probably handle that.....

Just now, Auskip said:
13 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

But then he'll beat Goergia and Alabama at home and he'll get another extension.

I could probably handle that.....

if that turns out to be the case, i'm fine with it because it would show that he belongs here and is a capable coach....i'm pro AU, not an apologist for Gus...i am not confident that TPTB would make a better choice than him, most likely they would do worse....there are sonly so many "BRUCE PEARL" situations that one comes across

7 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

Living in the past doesn't win football games. Quite a few SEC teams lost to a team that is way worse than Tulane. What should be concerning is 4 fumbles, 3 by Boobie.

And those teams coaches are on a hot seat. What is concerning is saying things like “well, it could be worse.”

1 hour ago, doverstutts said:

if that turns out to be the case, i'm fine with it because it would show that he belongs here and is a capable coach....i'm pro AU, not an apologist for Gus...i am not confident that TPTB would make a better choice than him, most likely they would do worse....there are sonly so many "BRUCE PEARL" situations that one comes across

Gene Chizik won a national championship too. You don't need a PHD in Football economics to win in college football if you have the best player in the country. Football can be pure emotion and sometimes, pure emotion outweighs pure talent. That's how a mediocre team like Auburn can win a home game against a juggernaut like Alabama and Georgia but get slapped silly against a team like Miss St. or losing a home game to Jeremy Pruitt and Tennessee.

When was the last time Gus won a big game on the road against a power 5 conference team and I'm not talking about squeaking by a  lowly Pac-12 team on a neutral site?

Why is it that everytime Gus wins a big game, people keep saying "He finally gets it" only to have those people  have to eat their own words the very next week? 

Auburn deserves better than mediocre and saying things like "who could do a better job than Gus" or " their are only so many Bruce Pearl's out there" is like saying Auburn should just give up trying to be a top tier football program or that Auburn should stop recruiting the country's top talent because they won't play here anyways. That's defeatist talk.

There are a lot of good college coaches out there, some of which you probably haven't heard of that could do a better job than Gustav.

2 hours ago, weagl1 said:

I just don’t see this team having much of a chance against LSU, UGA or Bammer.    On the other hand they will easily beat Kent State, Ole Miss, Arky and Samford.  So having a decent season, getting a good bowl and saving Gus’s job likely hinges on how they do against A&M, MSU and Florida.  Those 3 games in the middle of the season will tell the tale.  

Does 9-3 save Gus's season if it means you get decimated by our 3 primary rivals? thats quite the conundrum 

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Does 9-3 save Gus's season if it means you get decimated by our 3 primary rivals? thats quite the conundrum 

I think anything short of a season where we win in Death Valley and at least show up against UGA and Bama should probably do Gus in. There doesn’t seem to be much toleration for him anymore. The relationship is too far gone. We probably need a clean break and a new face calling plays, that the fans can get behind (*cough cough Mike cough Locksley  or Brent Venables cough*).

Here is one of the frustrating plays at the end of the half....Nix has him wide open and puts way too much on the ball.  I don't know how you improve on throws like this, but I hope he can master it.

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Here is one of the frustrating plays at the end of the half....Nix has him wide open and puts way too much on the ball.  I don't know how you improve on throws like this, but I hope he can master it.

Channeling his inner Stidham there.....

The bottom line is this team is not playing up to its potential. It’s becoming a continuous habit. The stadium was dead last night. Most of us want what is best for Auburn. I for one did my best to be optimistic this offseason. Now, I am cautiously observing. Just getting by is not enough. Eventually you have to turn the corner . 

AU moves up to #8.  Team seems to be respected by everyone but AU fans..🤔

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

The stadium was dead last night. 

You should have told me you were there!  It wasn’t too dead, but it could have been better.  Honestly I think it was the heat/humidity.  I even didn’t have energy and I am always standing up yelling.  I was just thinking about my next bottle of water.  :dead:

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

You should have told me you were there!  It wasn’t too dead, but it could have been better.  Honestly I think it was the heat/humidity.  I even didn’t have energy and I am always standing up yelling.  I was just thinking about my next bottle of water.  :dead:

Yeah one of the few times had vacation so decided to go see the game with my father...ugh

8 hours ago, abw0004 said:

If that is stupidity every other school is also stupid.  The issue is our execution to make this an issue.  You have to think about it from a competitive standpoint.  I personally would have loved more points.  But I wouldn’t be willing to get that by showing more of our playbook.  Once the game was in hand, why do that?  A win is a win.  Winning by three more touchdowns doesn’t help our record.  Win by 1 point, or by 50, we would still be 2-0.  I’m not saying we played well.  We have a lot to fix.  But from the playcalling it was the correct move.  

I think abw0004 is really Gus.  Sounds about how Gus would explain away things at this point.    I am not a negative person and I don't rant on this board about the team or about Gus however, it is obvious that we have problems and they are going to bite us soon if we don't get some things corrected.  We are 2-0 and I am happy about that but we have not looked good getting there.  If not for our defense, we would be sitting at 0-2 and Gus would be exiting the bus.  Having said that, my hope this week is that there will be a "come to Jesus" meeting with the offensive line.  Get mean and dominate the man across from you or go sit on the bench and if we need you, we'll call.  Boobie......hold on to the ball or you can sit right beside the O-lineman on the bench.   Gus.....stop being predicatable.  Stop running the same plays.  Short crossing routes and utilize the middle of the field.  The tight end does exist and he is eligilble to catch the ball.....use him.   Please.......every Auburn fan is begging you to get things in order before the A&M game.

31 minutes ago, AU64 said:

AU moves up to #8.  Team seems to be respected by everyone but AU fans..🤔

Now, 64, I treasure your wisdom.  This is not about respect.  This is about glaring issues that we are concerned may not get fixed in time for the big battles ahead.  This is about a pattern of weaknesses in execution and coaching that we are not sure has been or ever will be corrected.  This is also about an irrational amount of dollars attached to "results", honestly procured under fear of bailing a few years ago and many feel stuck between the what is, the what could be, and the fear of something worse.  We will bleed and die orange and blue, and as a hometown girl who grew up in the shadow of a mighty university that employed by father for nearly 3 decades, I am invested.  There are too many threads and responses out there that address exactly what I am saying, but my goodness...the short quips just aren't helping.

8 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I swear some people just assume he is stupid from hearing him speak. 

It's taken him a while to figure out how to be successful as a head coach, and it seems he is finally finding the right formula. He's always been a hell of a recruiter and motivator. Now he has surrounded himself with some excellent coaches and I'd argue the same people who said Orgeron isn't a good coach need to join the folks who have said Burrow isn't a good QB. 

Burrow has moxy and that’s one thing I really can appreciate 

9 hours ago, abw0004 said:

If that is stupidity every other school is also stupid.  The issue is our execution to make this an issue.  You have to think about it from a competitive standpoint.  I personally would have loved more points.  But I wouldn’t be willing to get that by showing more of our playbook.  Once the game was in hand, why do that?  A win is a win.  Winning by three more touchdowns doesn’t help our record.  Win by 1 point, or by 50, we would still be 2-0.  I’m not saying we played well.  We have a lot to fix.  But from the playcalling it was the correct move.  

If you aren't going to show the playbook and the game is in hand, why keep all of your starters in the game?   Execution is an issue and the first execution issue is play calling and schemes.  

3 minutes ago, around4ever said:

If you aren't going to show the playbook and the game is in hand, why keep all of your starters in the game?   Execution is an issue and the first execution issue is play calling and schemes.  

Lots of execution issues by starters....OL, WR, etc. and repetition should help.  Would like to see the starters get it right ..and they have work to do.

1 minute ago, around4ever said:

Exactly. 

If Tulane is so lowly a team that Gus can afford to just call a "vanilla" Offense, then you'd think he could afford to give Joey & Worm some genuine game time reps.

I'm not judging Gus' growth/change until the season ends but after 2 games things are, unfortunately, feeling very familiar...

ylQMr3D.gif

a7IwbO.gif

Archived