Tulane Post Game Thread

Auctoritas

5 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

What mistakes?.......Ole Miss?..........One coach to the best of my memory has had success and he's coaching Duke........Freeze sorta so maybe 2.

In my opinion Coach O is a humble man from humble beginnings.........He has his dream job and he's not about to squander his oppurtunity........He's also the type of coach that has the love and respect of his players......I am willing to bet they'll fight for their coach.

Coach O knows what he has with LSU and he is working hard getting the right coaches in place and I wouldn't be surprised if he wins and NC before he is done.

I think you misunderstood. Go back and check your Coach O history. Agree he is humble and a good coach, but clearly made some mistakes in his past.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

And that’s terrifying about the o-line because if the backups are as soft and non-aggressive as our 5 starters, we are in for a hopeless rebuild next year. 

They just aren't communicating, dont mean to pick on the interior line but its rough right now. As good as Tulane was up front it shouldn't have looked as bad as it did. 

4 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

Amen, why can't we try this with gatewood

It would work if we had the OL to do it.. Marshall had a damn good OL in front of him unfortunately all those guys have used up eligibility 

1 minute ago, AuMarine said:

It would work if we had the OL to do it.. Marshall had a damn good OL in front of him unfortunately all those guys have used up eligibility 

And even then we squandered their potential in 2014.

1 minute ago, AuMarine said:

Yep. Several good ones up front, and arguably the best left tackle in the history of the school

59 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Nobody light a match, plenty of alchohol apparently being consumed on this board tonight.🤪😁

If that s#!0= did not lead you to drinking, congrats. #yesiconsumedlots

Just now, AUFAN78 said:

If that s#!0= did not lead you to drinking, congrats. #yesiconsumedlots

Somebody has to be the designated poster. 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Kent State is a predictable offense with nothing really going for them so Im sure they'll blow them out and we'll pretend things are okay going into College Station but this offense has looked even worse than last year for 6.5 of 8 quarters this season. If the same A&M defensive front that played tonight plays then, we might have negative rushing yardage, at best. 

By the looks of it, this team ain't blowing anybody out.

Edit: I might exclude Samford but that is honestly questionable at this point which is sad...Very sad.

3 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Bad D coaching hire from day 1

And now the D coaching staff are the ones earning their keep.

What would it take to warrant a change after this season? Did the Oregon game secure him for another year?

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

What would it take to warrant a change after this season? Did the Oregon game secure him for another year?

I say no it didn’t. When we inevitably lose 4-5 games I think that will do it. Gus is a 4 loss or more coach. We have enough evidence of that now and will have more at seasons end.

43 minutes ago, DAG said:

Our defense is good but maybe it’s just me, but something about them just don’t scream elite.

I don't want to hear no 1 defensive line anymore.

1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

I don't want to hear no 1 defensive line anymore.

Correct, I want to see AU play like the No 1 defensive line!

6 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I say no it didn’t. When we inevitably lose 4-5 games I think that will do it. Gus is a 4 loss or more coach. We have enough evidence of that now and will have more at seasons end.

I don’t trust anyone to let CGM go.. it will always be excuses.. he had a freshman qb.. blah blah.. I say barring losing every SEC game(and that is not unrealistic)  he will be back.. because honestly unless this OL finds fairy dust and vastly improves overnight.. and CGM suddenly starts calling plays to fit what we have on offense.. we are screwed.  

Nix has wheels but on the Zone read he has been told to give the ball to the RB. That or he is blind and can't see the DR of LB crashing down on the RB. A few other things I saw with Nix today he locks in on a receiver and does not do a progression and today he missed some key throws even when he had time. He completed just over 50% and a lot of the completions the receivers were not hit in stride so that they could pick up more yardage.  I think it is time to give Gatewood a chance and hopefully he would be allowed by the coaches to run on a zone read play. 

4 minutes ago, AUwent said:

If AUs 6-3 losing to A&M, UF, and LSU going into November I personally think its a wrap. The W over Oregon? Not at all but it brought back some good memories and made one of its own. 

43 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

By the looks of it, this team ain't blowing anybody out.

Edit: I might exclude Samford but that is honestly questionable at this point which is sad...Very sad.

Kent State is really not good and still depends on the triple option unlike modern Tulane. Our secondary looked suspect to me but our front 7 should....SHOULD be fine. Unfortunately, my boy Woody Barrett is no J. McMillan

29 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Nix has wheels but on the Zone read he has been told to give the ball to the RB. That or he is blind and can't see the DR of LB crashing down on the RB. A few other things I saw with Nix today he locks in on a receiver and does not do a progression and today he missed some key throws even when he had time. He completed just over 50% and a lot of the completions the receivers were not hit in stride so that they could pick up more yardage.  I think it is time to give Gatewood a chance and hopefully he would be allowed by the coaches to run on a zone read play. 

I think at this point its built into the offense to be one read regardless. They let JS actually scan the field a bit more his sophomore effort here, but I think it dulls the mind so much to only stare one guy down that you start forcing it. Im far from one of the Bo apologists on this board, but I think hes a better passer, at least mentally, than he's shown at this school so far. His troubling touch is all on him, but the play that Will got killed on, that was a one read play. Two open guys streaking deep, and Bo threw it to his one read. I just think passing QBs here are doomed to fail...which is partially why I believed starting Joey should be a no brainer. Once again, Gus doesnt know himself

Year 6 with Gus and we get this effort. Listen I like our team and the guys play hard but when we are getting pushed around at the LOS by Tulane that is pathetic. Nothing against Tulane, they are much better than they usually are but Gus should be embarrassed with the offensive product he’s putting on the field. I think Nix can be a great player but right now we may as well give Joey the start next week to see if he can help spark the run game in the first half. Maybe the team figures it out and miraculously pulls a miracle in college station in two weeks but as of right now I don’t see us winning more than 7 games, really hope I’m wrong

So many things to say:

we are a work in progress. Throughout fall camp we struggled to score. Then we lost AS and now SW.

So in this game we had Poor play calling mixed with sloppy OL play and no game changing WRs and the RB fumbles a few times. That is a disaster  on O. 

1) we won. Ugly, but we won

2) we knew going into this game it was going to be ugly. Tulane is pretty good. They have a good defense  

3) Reminder: bo is a freshman and is going to make mistakes... but he also needs to play better. 

4) we need playmaking WRs

5) the OL is what it is.... and we all knew it going into the season. Yuck  

6) boobie is fine but we need DJ to play a lot more. Boobie has a problem holding on to the ball. 

7) still need a pass rusher 

8 play calling was poor 

9 D is great but we need to create more turnovers 

10 Play calling was bad (Needs to be mentioned twice)

At least we are not TN. Wow. 

If this has been said already I apologize as I just got back from the game, but something to remember is the offensive play calling were intentionally vanilla with no new plays.  Even with it as close as it was for a while, you don’t want to give A&M tape of any more plays.  I expect to see the same plays next week as well.  

4 hours ago, AUJedi said:

7-5

4-8

Call me an optimist, but the ceiling on this team is still 12-0. OL played poorly  tonight. They also played poorly at the beginning of 2010, 2013, and 2014, and those offenses ended up being very good.

We covered the spread, and did so with what looked like a pretty vanilla game plan. In the words of Aaron Rodgers, “RELAX.”

11 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Call me an optimist, but the ceiling on this team is still 12-0. OL played poorly  tonight. They also played poorly at the beginning of 2010, 2013, and 2014, and those offenses ended up being very good.

We covered the spread, and did so with what looked like a pretty vanilla game plan. In the words of Aaron Rodgers, “RELAX.”

And the team we beat last week just thumped Nevada 77-6. 77 TO 6. Didn’t we struggle against Mercer and then go on to beat our two rivals and play for an SEC championship in 2017? I get the frustrations with the play calling (which was very vanilla) but people need to just relax and see what we do against A&M in two weeks before they call the season quits. 

Archived