Tulane Post Game Thread

Auctoritas

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

If this has been said already I apologize as I just got back from the game, but something to remember is the offensive play calling were intentionally vanilla with no new plays.  Even with it as close as it was for a while, you don’t want to give A&M tape of any more plays.  I expect to see the same plays next week as well.  

That wild cat off tackle seemed to be new to me, or at least hasn’t been used in a while. I don’t recall the blocking being like that

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, AUwent said:

Worst (Auburn) president ever?

Yes.  And I was there when Hanley was president.

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

If this has been said already I apologize as I just got back from the game, but something to remember is the offensive play calling were intentionally vanilla with no new plays.  Even with it as close as it was for a while, you don’t want to give A&M tape of any more plays.  I expect to see the same plays next week as well.  

I always look forward to your summary that you post each week but the vanilla argument doesn't give me any comfort at this time. Vanilla doesn't explain the fact that we didn't look good running those plays. Vanilla is basic and if you can't execute basic then it won't matter how much hot fudge and sprinkles Gus adds by A&M. Special teams are suspect, OL is too. Bo is a freshman but he missed badly on some throws last night, badly. Gus is still running the dive up the middle after most first downs, against a 340 lb DL at that. He also continues to run one back into the ground and that back fumbled three times... ridiculous when we have other options that he won't play.

Vanilla should work because vanilla is basic football. 

2 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

And the team we beat last week just thumped Nevada 77-6. 77 TO 6. Didn’t we struggle against Mercer and then go on to beat our two rivals and play for an SEC championship in 2017? I get the frustrations with the play calling (which was very vanilla) but people need to just relax and see what we do against A&M in two weeks before they call the season quits. 

Mercer was the point I was going to make.  This was an ugly game. But it ain’t no death sentence..

My take, after a sleepless night caused by endless indigestion from eating a large Pizza Hut pizza and drinking a 6-pack during the game:

1. Our offensive line got man-handled, from start to finish.

2. Boobee Whitlow is not a true feature back.  He may be our best, and he seems to be ahead of the rest of our backs.  But I don't think that says as much as it may seem.

3. The play calling can never look good while our offensive line plays poorly.  If we can't run the ball early and often, which is what our offense is predicated upon, then how can play calling fix that?  I'm just a fan - not an analyst - but it seems that play calling can warrant only so much blame, when the likes of Tulane is dominating our all-senior offensive line.

4. Our terrible punt coverage will lose us a game, much like the loss to LSU 2 years ago.

5. Our wide receivers are a work in progress.

6. Bo Nix is a work in progress.  I sure liked the look of Joey Gatewood running the ball.  He gives us a dimension that Bo never could in that regard.

7. Our absolute ceiling is 9-3.  And that's if we play really well as opposed to our potential.

5 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I absolutely do not believe that and if that is the case Gus needs to go. We should not be playing vanilla and HOPING guys can execute on the road in their first SEC game. Look at the other top tier schools, they definitely aren’t playing vanilla. 

4 hours ago, AUFriction said:

Call me an optimist, but the ceiling on this team is still 12-0. OL played poorly  tonight. They also played poorly at the beginning of 2010, 2013, and 2014, and those offenses ended up being very good.

We covered the spread, and did so with what looked like a pretty vanilla game plan. In the words of Aaron Rodgers, “RELAX.”

Yeah but you also said this early last year. Specifically right after the Arkansas game. 

54 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

My take, after a sleepless night caused by endless indigestion from eating a large Pizza Hut pizza and drinking a 6-pack during the game:

2. Boobee Whitlow is not a true feature back.  He may be our best, and he seems to be ahead of the rest of our backs.  But I don't think that says as much as it may seem.

3. The play calling can never look good while our offensive line plays poorly.  If we can't run the ball early and often, which is what our offense is predicated upon, then how can play calling fix that?  I'm just a fan - not an analyst - but it seems that play calling can warrant only so much blame, when the likes of Tulane is dominating our all-senior offensive line.

4. Our terrible punt coverage will lose us a game, much like the loss to LSU 2 years ago.

6. Bo Nix is a work in progress.  I sure liked the look of Joey Gatewood running the ball.  He gives us a dimension that Bo never could in that regard.

7. Our absolute ceiling is 9-3.  And that's if we play really well as opposed to our potential.

Well, if you are offense is predicated on running the ball and the offensive line is a big part of that, shouldn’t we be prioritizing getting the best of the best and making sure they are ready? I would prioritize that me than skill players if that was the case. Just my opinion. You need to do everything in your position to get those players here. 

1 hour ago, KolchakAU85 said:

The entire offense is a work in progress. Everyone needs to step it up but it won’t matter if the OL can’t block and the interior continues to get blown up play after play. 

‘I want to see Gatewood doing more than running the ball in the game. Next week would be a good time to let them alternate series and run the same offense. 

‘When we start SEC play .. we are going to need our defense to continue to keep us in the games in order for us to have a chance. 

At this point.. a 9 win season would be a dream.. realistically I say 6 or 7 wins is where we will end up. 7 if we beat Arky on the road. This is where our lack of OL recruiting has gotten us. We are overflowing with talent at every single position except OL.. and it is mind blowing. 

1 hour ago, KolchakAU85 said:

1. Our offensive line got man-handled, from start to finish.   Yep

Who would ever know if we had any better backs?

3. The play calling can never look good while our offensive line plays poorly.  If we can't run the ball early and often, which is what our offense is predicated upon, then how can play calling fix that?  I'm just a fan - not an analyst - but it seems that play calling can warrant only so much blame, when the likes of Tulane is dominating our all-senior offensive line.      105 starts and this is what we get

4. Our terrible punt coverage will lose us a game, much like the loss to LSU 2 years ago.    Most likely

5. Our wide receivers are a work in progress.       Our middle schoolish passing scheme sophistication negates whatever takent we have

6. Bo Nix is a work in progress.  I sure liked the look of Joey Gatewood running the ball.  He gives us a dimension that Bo never could in that regard.    I hope Gus doesn't ruin Bo.    And Joey running did look great against a tired G5 D.    And that is all Gus ever allows his QB2 to do.

7. Our absolute ceiling is 9-3.  And that's if we play really well as opposed to our potential.    Yes, max.

8 hours ago, CAReeves2010 said:

They just aren't communicating, dont mean to pick on the interior line but its rough right now. As good as Tulane was up front it shouldn't have looked as bad as it did. 

I see it different. I think they are over communicating and thinking, and are underwhelming with playing violent. We are supposed to be a power run team.  They need to be firing off the ball with the intent to maul their man. On many plays, they are relying on pushing with their hands and shielding. Grimes needs to go, and we need to find guards who want to play Auburn football. 

8 hours ago, Never2Yield said:

But at what cost? ... Seth and Will.

Its football. Injuries happen. What could have been done differently to prevent those injuries?

I’m calling it now. We will go 6-6. No way we beat any SEC school but Arkansas and Ole Miss with this play calling. Last night proves it’s been Gus calling plays and any OC he’s employed has been a scapegoat 

8 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’m convinced now that if Gatewood was in and he handed it off as much as he kept it, we’d start putting up 40 points and 500+ yards a game. I love Bo, but we just don’t do well offensively when the QB isn’t a legit threat. It’s the sad truth, but when JG came in and they ran that triple option looking set, the offense looked so much better. 

If Gus had just allowed him some throws to mix in...Newtonish

8 hours ago, DAG said:

Well we loss to this hapless Tennessee team last year. Let’s not set precedence so low. We should be much better against Tulane.

Living in the past doesn't win football games. Quite a few SEC teams lost to a team that is way worse than Tulane. What should be concerning is 4 fumbles, 3 by Boobie.

As a staff member told me,if he(Gus), would just allow us to run some outside zones...but he is adamant that his system is correct and its all execution errors...

9 hours ago, aubaseball said:

8-4 and he is back next year.   6-6 maybe gone?   Not sure if I trust the people in charge to make the right decision 

At this point Ill take the 6-6 if he goes. I think he will at 8-4

32 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Its football. Injuries happen. What could have been done differently to prevent those injuries?

I agree injuries can and will happen...but with the targeting on Will, is it possible that they recognized his hotness and chose him because of it? I've always thought that if the love is spread, no one knows who to go after. A skill that Auburn needs to rise to is playing multiple players in multiple positions,  one in which our rival excels, which happens with trust and opportunity to gain experience. It wasn't just any player last night, it was the one responsible for some of our best moments. It felt too purposeful to be coincidental. 

I'm not mad at the play calls disappointed, but not mad. This year I'm actually on the execution side of the debate. A lot of the plays would have worked behind a competent line. The player utilization is still bad, but every struggle can be linked to the bad play of the OL. 

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm not mad at the play calls disappointed, but not mad. This year I'm actually on the execution side of the debate. A lot of the plays would have worked behind a competent line. The player utilization is still bad, but every struggle can be linked to the bad play of the OL. 

So at what point do you call a game that helps your weakness, if you see that as a possibility?  

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm not mad at the play calls. This year I'm actually on the execution side of the debate. A lot of the plays would have worked behind a competent line. The player utilization is still bad, but every struggle can be linked to the bad play of the OL.

I thought execution was particularly bad tonight.  Couple of key drops especially.  Maybe making those types of plays would have led to more personnel groupings.  That's just it though, he still packages way too much.  Guy goes in, you know the play.  On the NCAA football game, I used to set up the audibles from the same formation as to not give away the play.  Maybe run the same formation for a few plays.  Tulane did that to us some last night.  The un tapped potential of this team is infuriating. 

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

So at what point do you call a game that helps your weakness, if you see that as a possibility?  

For me, 2015.

The announcers were nailing it. We have no continuity, no imagination, no killer instinct, and apparently no desire. Our o line is horrible, our passing game is unorganized and very vanilla. Gus still doesn't know what a tight end is utilized for, still doesn't know that the slant pattern is an offensive weapon. Gus' offense needs a complete overhaul, or we get embarrassed several times this year. I have 0 confidence in Gus' coaching!

Archived