ESPN announcers last night

Ber798297

I was listening to Andy and Stan last night instead of the Awful espn announcers.  I heard they made a joke or something about the painted kids in the stands that spelled out “Ride for Rod” I think?  They have since apologized and I heard that but I didn’t hear what they originally said.  Anyone know what they said?

They turned it into a slight joke about Rod Gilmore. It wasn't malicious and they apologized during the broadcast. It was obviously a lack of prep work done by them before the game. Truthfully, our OL was more offensive than what they said.

It really wasn’t that big of a deal to me. It just so happened one of the announcers is named Rod and the guys didn’t make the connection to the pregame memorial to our Rod. It’s not like they made a joke out of the situation or was malicious. Just a little out of touch with the situation. 

1 minute ago, NoALtiger said:

It really wasn’t that big of a deal to me. It just so happened one of the announcers is named Rod and the guys didn’t make the connection to the pregame memorial to our Rod. It’s not like they made a joke out of the situation or was malicious. Just a little out of touch with the situation. 

Too many AU people are super-sensitive about anything they consider a "slight"....very insecure about AU's position in the football world I guess and take everything like that as a deliberate act of disrespect. . 

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Too many AU people are super-sensitive about anything they consider a "slight"....very insecure about AU's position in the football world I guess and take everything like that as a deliberate act of disrespect. . 

I'm not sure what's worse, the announcer's rambling, way too long, and entirely insincere (he spoke at length about how "dear" Rod was to them and how they were "so saddened" by his loss, which they evidently didn't even know about until someone from AU told them after their gaffe) or this comment in a really poor context. I don't think anyone saw that comment last night as a deliberate act of disrespect. What we did see was a B-team announcer whose prep for the game was beyond poor. That's on him, nothing to do with AU, and probably one of many reasons why he's on the B Team. 

Just now, TigerHorn said:

I'm not sure what's worse, the announcer's rambling, way too long, and entirely insincere (he spoke at length about how "dear" Rod was to them and how they were "so saddened" by his loss, which they evidently didn't even know about until someone from AU told them after their gaffe) or this comment in a really poor context. I don't think anyone saw that comment last night as a deliberate act of disrespect. What we did see was a B-team announcer whose prep for the game was beyond poor. That's on him, nothing to do with AU, and probably one of many reasons why he's on the B Team. 

Yep.....ESPN2 gets the "B" team and someone gave them h*** about the comment and told him to clean up the mess.  And yes it would be nice if they did a little pre-game prep but it is obvious they don't ….not just from the comment about "Rod" but from general lack of knowledge of the AU team and players. 

But I get sick of AU fans griping about the refs are against us, the SEC office is against us, the NCAA is out to get us, the media hates us and on it goes week after week on this site and elsewhere.     If you are on this site regularly, you must certainly notice that it's almost a constant pity-party. 

6 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Were they not in the press box while the pregame tribute was taking place?  Gilmore just sucks and is an arrogant jerk. 

It was clearly an oversight, and I can’t possibly imagine him doing it intentionally.  He apologized. The apology was a little over the top, but I’m sure he regretted his mistake and intended no ill will.  

A lot of people these days look to hard for things to be offended about.  

1 hour ago, Ber798297 said:

I was listening to Andy and Stan last night instead of the Awful espn announcers.  I heard they made a joke or something about the painted kids in the stands that spelled out “Ride for Rod” I think?  They have since apologized and I heard that but I didn’t hear what they originally said.  Anyone know what they said?

Speaking of Andy and Stan I listened to some of the first half in the car on the way home from work. Andy made some mistakes that may still be nerves but they were glaring. When Tulane was up by the field goal there was a possession change and said Auburn was up by 3. Then a bit later he said Oregon instead of Tulane. Hopefully he gets the nerves worked out soon. 

41 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep.....ESPN2 gets the "B" team and someone gave them h*** about the comment and told him to clean up the mess.  And yes it would be nice if they did a little pre-game prep but it is obvious they don't ….not just from the comment about "Rod" but from general lack of knowledge of the AU team and players. 

But I get sick of AU fans griping about the refs are against us, the SEC office is against us, the NCAA is out to get us, the media hates us and on it goes week after week on this site and elsewhere.     If you are on this site regularly, you must certainly notice that it's almost a constant pity-party. 

It's not constant. And it's not a pity party. Gary Danielson reciting poetry about uat all night while we beat their asses off? The refs in the 2018 lsu game? Double dribble in the final four? It's just a part of who we are, there will always be threads about it.

Back in the day there were only 5 or 6 announcing crews on the whole earth for college football, but nowadays they broadcast every game in every market, so the talent just isn't going to be there. Such is life. 

Rod Gilmore was the announcer on the 2016 LSU game that was adamant that "we" couldn't tell if LSU got the snap off in time. He said "You can't see the snap." Frickin moron...

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Rod Gilmore was the announcer on the 2016 LSU game that was adamant that "we" couldn't tell if LSU got the snap off in time. He said "You can't see the snap." Frickin moron...

Yep. All I was thinking while watching the game last night. The commentary on that one was worse than last night.

On 9/8/2019 at 11:16 AM, Viper said:

Hell I could see that without glasses.

Archived