So what are the most urgent things that need to be addressed

cole256

Good thread Cole, and like others have said, the singular most urgent need is help for the OL.  The problem is the urgency should have been addressed in earlier recruiting years and the lack of prospective OL players have come home to roost.  I’m not sure what can be done to help in the near term except, as @bigbird said, to replace some guys with young, more aggressive linemen. 

You noticed last night Bo was staring down his receivers. The particular play was a 3rd and 5 at about our 25 yard line.  Hastings was lined up in the slot and I was focused on him as I figured he was the receiver Bo had the most confidence in at the time.  It turns out not only did I know it, Bo knew it, Gus knew it, the whole stadium knew it and so did the Tulane MLB. It was almost a pick six.  The point being Gus’ leash is too tight.  Bo was being baited into that throw and he didn’t recognize it as that was where the ball was going no matter what.  No situational awareness.  If you have a hunting dog that you don’t want to hunt, just nurture him early and keep him on a leash so he doesn’t have to make his own decisions (or mistakes).

This brings up another observation, some people have complained that the receivers are not running their route properly or are lackluster about them.  The above could be a contributing factor as if they know they are not the primary receiver they may not be as enthused about their assignment, especially with a rookie QB. This is obviously speculation, but as I recall we had a similar situation in 2015 that was more obvious with Duke Williams that manifested itself into his dismissal from the team.

Bottom line, the coaching, developing and play calling have not changed in the last few years.  The team has to come together and if the trend is it will after 4 games, we have two left to see what we have.  Auburn fans have a hard time managing our expectations.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, cole256 said:

One of the things that worries me is we've had to really fight to win these games and so far the opposing teams has dropped wide open td's and a few ints....we're not going to keep getting all the bounces

yeah, i worry with you

44 minutes ago, Sully to Beasley said:

Why play the games then? Heck lets just skip to the SEC Championship between the criminal tide and the leg humpers! You would think that AU is Tennessee who has dropped 2 home games to inferior opponents. Last time I checked we beat an Oregon team at a neutral site that just dropped a whopping amount of points on their last opponent and we held a Tulane team to no touchdowns that has been a scoring machine. I guess facts don't matter.

I reserve the same for you.   At the end of the year, let’s revisit this same topic.   

We all know the #1 problem is the oline.  And this is nothing new.  Bad recruiting, bad coaching.  GM has been unable or unwilling to properly address the issue and has made bad coaching hires.  He should have made a change last year but with his head on the chopping block and no relationships at the college level, he was stuck w Grimes.  You cant fire Grimes at mid season.  Is Brahmes worse than King?  Are the frosh not strong enough to compete?  I dont know but this is going to cost us several games and possibly Gus’s job.

I would add let Joey be a duel threat not a single threat qb. let him throw the damn ball on so.e packages to see how much of the game opens up. 

9 minutes ago, shabby said:

I would add let Joey be a duel threat not a single threat qb. let him throw the damn ball on so.e packages to see how much of the game opens up. 

JMO but we had a modest lead and Joey's job was to run the clock.....which he did pretty well. 

Two things that continue to worry me:    (1) punt coverage and probably kick coverage too if Carlson does not kick it out of the end zone….(2) fumbles/INT.. 

We made it easier for Tulane in the way of field position. .

3 hours ago, AUFriction said:

Gus needs to go the way of Chizik in 2010 and challenge the line to run block better. If that happens, everything else on offense opens up and this is a very good team.

The talent is not there for this OL! They can be challenged and challenged all day long. Gus has simply not recruited  the good linemen to compete in this league. This OL that we have now would be challenged to be a good unit in the Sun Belt Conf. The problem with the OL is simply a lack of talent. Very rarely can one take the talent of a 1-A or 2-A high school and compete with a 5-A or 6-A school, the talent is just not there, and that's what we have on The Plains right now is a lack of talent.

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

@bigbird hey bro what can we do seriously. I'm a little worried. I remember one year maybe 2013 where our o line play became much better around the 4th game of the season....was there any circumstances related to that or are you thinking it will happen this year.

I guess in short are you worried about this like me or am I tripping?

It was 2013 after the LSU game that Gus made the call to go full read option.  Just the O line know they were going to basically run block most of the game I think is what pushed them to take that challenge by the horns.  

I don't want to really get into a QB debate but to help the Oline, I like the idea of JG due to the strengths and weaknesses of O line.  I think with a misdirection running QB system, the O line will have less pass rush to deal with. When we have focused on the run game specifically, it feels like the O line does better.  Obviously need to scheme around opposing personnel like the 300 lb. hoss last night. The one good drive in 3rd quarter, we did that.  Ran up the middle when he left the game,  and sweep outside for the TD when he returned. 

Which positions on the o line has been the one with under performance? I think inside but I haven't paid attention enough to say it's just one particular side or not or an entire group. And am I even right? Is the outside bad too? 

Just now, cole256 said:

Which positions on the o line has been the one with under performance? I think inside but I haven't paid attention enough to say it's just one particular side or not or an entire group. And am I even right? Is the outside bad too? 

I find Kim to be weakness.  Even on the KJ Screen (I call the backside screen that), Kim was indecisive who to block.  He blocks the lead man and I think we score there. 

1 minute ago, AUBwins said:

It was 2013 after the LSU game that Gus made the call to go full read option.  Just the O line know they were going to basically run block most of the game I think is what pushed them to take that challenge by the horns.  

I don't want to really get into a QB debate but to help the Oline, I like the idea of JG due to the strengths and weaknesses of O line.  I think with a misdirection running QB system, the O line will have less pass rush to deal with. When we have focused on the run game specifically, it feels like the O line does better.  Obviously need to scheme around opposing personnel like the 300 lb. Hoss last night. The one good drive in 3rd quarter, we're did that.  Ran up the middle when he left the game,  and sweep outside for the TD when he returned. 

Yeah I don't want to argue with people about the QB, I'm already getting tired of Bo is the only player that's playing hard on the offense stuff already but before the season started I said I was worried about our inside run game and I knew Joey would help that part out

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I find Kim to be weakness.  Even on the KJ Screen (I call the backside screen that), Kim was indecisive who to block.  He blocks the lead man and I think we score there. 

Whoever number 77 is got knocked on his backside on that play and if I'm not mistaken he should've just been blocking either a corner...maybe linebacker. Didn't make sense to see him on the ground

2 hours ago, Momma Worm said:

Worm wouldnt take it or it was a quarterback keeper & the goal was to look like he took? It was designed to be one of those trick plays Smh

Momma,  I have been pondering this.  Was the look of taking a knee really a variation of the "Woody" play where Worm would have taken the ball and ran for days? 

2 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

It's not a matter of intensity with the OL, it's a matter of talent.  We've got Sun Belt talent on the OL.

I keep seeing this stated, but it just doesn’t appear to be fact. The two weakest players so far this year, Kim and Harrell, were 4 star guys grading out above a 90 by the recruiting services. The tackles have been playing relatively well.  Horton is the only “justified” weak spot. but even he was graded out around an 87. Plus, we’ve succeeded in running the ball with a lot less talent. See 2010. Talent is not the issue. Also, they whipped Oregon’s DL in the second half last week after a lethargic first half. So far, we’ve played 4 halves of football. In one of those halves, we ran the ball well and protected the quarterback well. That half was in a deficit at an away game against a team that’s probably going to win the pac 12. The issue has to be effort. Nothing else explains why the line played well in that one half and poorly in the other 3.

The ineptitude of the interior of the O-line is only rivaled by Gus' offensive game planning. For the life of me I can't understand his thought process. When you look at the weakest link on your entire team (interior o-line) and they're matched up with the strongest unit of the opposing team (interior d-line) and you dictate your entire game plan on you winning your worst matchup on the field. Why highlight that matchup by constantly trying to run up the middle? 

Starts with the OLine. We fix the blocking problems there, we improve. We fix the blocking problems with our receivers, we become elite. This whole offense sucks when blocking isn’t there. 

Other than that, it would help improve blocking if teams weren’t cramming the middle of the box, because our coach doesn’t mix up run plays.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

JMO but we had a modest lead and Joey's job was to run the clock.....which he did pretty well. 

I think the question is why is that always Gus’s  philosophy? His primary responsibility is to Auburn and that includes having QB2 ready to become QB1 if necessary. JG is an ankle twist away from being our guy and he needs every meaningful rep he can get. Our WRs and O-line too. 

20 minutes ago, amsterjam said:

The ineptitude of the interior of the O-line is only rivaled by Gus' offensive game planning. For the life of me I can't understand his thought process. When you look at the weakest link on your entire team (interior o-line) and they're matched up with the strongest unit of the opposing team (interior d-line) and you dictate your entire game plan on you winning your worst matchup on the field. Why highlight that matchup by constantly trying to run up the middle? 

All you have to do is watch his post game comments for your answer. He basically said we've got to do a better job of running the football, regardless of the defensive alignment. That statement speaks volumes. That's exactly what a pig headed moron he is.

5 hours ago, Barnacle said:

We need Schwartz and Seth healthy. Cole you and I talked about it last night. Need someone to fill Slayton's shoes and stretch the field. 

@bigbird I'm not opposed to a change at RB necessarily, I'm just not confident it will yield much different results (other than less turnovers). 

I'm not a defensive guy, but agree about Noah and have also been really impressed with Pappoe. He seems to always be around the ball. 

Agreed..need Seth and Schwartz healthy! Secondly, we need 3 things on Offense 1) Find linemen that want to play and put them on the field. Regardless of what our existing O-Line thinks, the game starts with 15:00 on the clock at the start of the 1st Quarter, not sometime during the 3rd Quarter 2) Use our RB bench until we find someone that can move the ball North and South and not fumble 3) Need the coaches to find a way to motivate the team to show up before halftime, and after that give them a game plan that we (nor the opposing teams) haven't seen already for the last 3 years. Other successful college football coaches and teams manage to do it every Saturday. I guess we are special and have to do it the hard way.

And just an afterthought. How do we (Auburn) manage to go 9 months from the end of our last game in Jordan Hare in 2018 to the first home game in 2019 and not realize the game clocks do not work. Auburn has had a chronic problem with  it's game clock for as long as I can remember. That lack of attention to detail probably helped to "stop" our first drive of the game.

45 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Here’s my assessment. Our tackles are at least average and consistent. Our interior is constantly  getting blown up. I’ve watched replays where our right guard is floundering around on running plays flagging at people. It is sad and I can’t accept that fact that our coaches can watch game film and not open the interior spots up to competition. 

9 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I think the question is why is that always Gus’s  philosophy? His primary responsibility is to Auburn and that includes having QB2 ready to become QB1 if necessary. JG is an ankle twist away from being our guy and he needs every meaningful rep he can get. Our WRs and O-line too. 

But, as all successful teams do nowadays, they may run the clock with QB2. However, it is done with QB2 being given some opportunity to develop his game management skills and not just occupy space in the huddle.

10 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Here’s my assessment. Our tackles are at least average and consistent. Our interior is constantly  getting blown up. I’ve watched replays where our right guard is floundering around on running plays flagging at people. It is sad and I can’t accept that fact that our coaches can watch game film and not open the interior spots up to competition. 

Makes you wonder what they're looking at in the film room huh? I went back, and watched the video in the Auburn O vs the Oregon D thread, focusing particularly on the center, and two guards. I'm pretty sure the right guard never broke a sweat that night. I really couldn't believe what I was watching. I think that is a lot of the problem with Gus's teams. They are soft, play soft much of the time, and don't seem to be held accountable for loafing. I've seen it repeatedly over the years. For instance, last week in the 4th quarter Seth did not even attempt to make a block on a play coming to his side. I know he eventually made the play to win the game, but I promise you if I was coaching he would have probably not gotten that chance, because I would have long since sat his butt on the pine for lack of effort on that block. 

1 hour ago, shabby said:

I agree. I have been on the Bo train from the beginning because I just think he is special. However we currently have an OL that struggles to block, bad play calling, RBs that fumble, and WRs that are hurt. That combo is a disaster. 

For the first time,  I actually think we may be better just letting Joey run the read option and do his thing. None of the other pieces on O are good enough right now to support a pass first QB. It will take pressure off of the OL. It also makes play calling easier for Gus who is struggling. 

The biggest thing is establishing an identity. Not having an identity is making our deficiencies even worse. 

So far through 2 games, we have come out throwing the ball. In both games we had more pass attempts than rush attempts in the first half. Last night we had double the pass attempts (vs rush attempts) at the half. I would have no issues with those numbers, but we are not giving many crossing routes for Bo and to simplify things we are cutting the field in half making defending plays even easier. So if we are to continue the pass heavy trend early, we really need to get the RBs more involved in the pass game and use the Hbacks/TEs more as well. 

For Bo, its hard to tell what is honestly going on. Some of it is Bo with off target balls, some of it is pass protection, and a good amount is the play selection and general design of Malzahn's passing game. If he struggles against Kent State, would like to see Gatewood get some time earlier than a grind the clock drive with 7min left in the game. At the same time, if the separation in the passing game is the reason why Nix won, I wonder how inconsistent Gatewood was.

For the RBs, I want more rotation. DJs injury explains some of that as they likely want him as close to 100% as possible for SEC play, but grinding Whitlow will only make the fumbling issues worse and likely end with him getting dinged up before our first bye week. Kam Martin is consistent but just feel his vision is lacking. Too many times do we see him plowing the back of the guard. Shivers is wasting away on the bench. Saving him for gadget plays down the line is a massive utilization failure. If we continue using Nix frequently early, use Whitlow, Martin and Shivers as a chip and checkdown option. This will help with our porous OL as after killing a defense once or twice, they will have to peel back a bit. Easier said than done though and likely something we wont do until either we are heavily trailing in a game or late this year. Disappointing...

WRs/TEs - With Seth out and Hastings taking that massive shot, we better see McClain being used. Would like to see more involvement by the WRs when plays break down to help the QB out. We have seen some instances here and there, but for the most part, it feels like a majority of our passing plays have been 1 route options and everyone else going through the motions. Thats been a complaint for a long time though. Not sure how much of that changes vs Kent State though.

Offensive Line - This will be year 3 now of being pushed around by non power 5 teams. In conference play we will have to scheme around them which likely means more screens and short passing. We threw more quick passes last night than we did vs Oregon. Seeing our depth at WR disappear isnt going to help either.

Only other area I want to see vast improvement in is kick coverage. 

2 hours ago, Sully to Beasley said:

Why play the games then? Heck lets just skip to the SEC Championship between the criminal tide and the leg humpers! You would think that AU is Tennessee who has dropped 2 home games to inferior opponents. Last time I checked we beat an Oregon team at a neutral site that just dropped a whopping amount of points on their last opponent and we held a Tulane team to no touchdowns that has been a scoring machine. I guess facts don't matter.

LSU v. UGA, imo.

Archived