So what are the most urgent things that need to be addressed

cole256

31 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

All you have to do is watch his post game comments for your answer. He basically said we've got to do a better job of running the football, regardless of the defensive alignment. That statement speaks volumes. That's exactly what a pig headed moron he is.

On the flip side, these types of games are tune up games. While I dont agree with it, it was pretty clear that this game was more of a test bed for the offense. His comments based on opponent are true. That is an opponent we should be able to line up and execute. I will need to go back, but it appears we were forcing more power run and our big plays in the run game came on zone schemes. Not to say that we should switch wholesale, but the emphasis might've been to get more live reps for the OL to improve in that area. Either way, not a good sign. 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Momma,  I have been pondering this.  Was the look of taking a knee really a variation of the "Woody" play where Worm would have taken the ball and ran for days? 

🤷🏾‍♀️ I just watch the game like y’all 😬 I dont have an answer is what that really means 😂

Just now, BigWhiskey91 said:

On the flip side, these types of games are tune up games. While I dont agree with it, it was pretty clear that this game was more of a test bed for the offense. His comments based on opponent are true. That is an opponent we should be able to line up and execute. I will need to go back, but it appears we were forcing more power run and our big plays in the run game came on zone schemes. Not to say that we should switch wholesale, but the emphasis might've been to get more live reps for the OL to improve in that area. Either way, not a good sign. 

No it's not, and unfortunately I think you're giving him way too much credit. Tulane had one NFL prospect on the field, and Gus continued  to run right at him repeatedly last night. If you believe that was a test, and not just plain out stubborn stupidity we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

I will say however, that we have all witnessed Gus for several years now continually run the football into 8 man fronts. Some times with surprising success, and sometimes with much more disastrous results.

5 hours ago, aubaseball said:

In most cases it’s the jimmies and joe’s that make the difference in being really good or just average.   When you have just average, it’s the coach that makes the difference.   I see talent on the offensive side that is never used.   Not to single him out, but why isn’t Shivers at the very minimum playing the role that Stove is playing.   It’s my opinion that he should be getting at least 15 touches a game, in some form or fashion.    Why is it that Clemson, Oklahoma and many more get the ball to guys in space.    Swing passes, screen passes, sweeps, crossing patterns.    It’s rare that I ever see these type plays with the right personnel.   

This ^^^^ we killed Georgia and Alabama in 2017 with drag routes and crossing patterns then they just disappeared and we haven’t seen them since.

7 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

No it's not, and unfortunately I think you're giving him way too much credit. Tulane had one NFL prospect on the field, and Gus continued  to run right at him repeatedly last night. If you believe that was a test, and not just plain out stubborn stupidity we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

It is not really about giving him credit as much as it is evaluating what happened. When is the last time you have seen a Malzahn offense attempt 29 passes in the first half?

7 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I will say however, that we have all witnessed Gus for several years now continually run the football into 8 man fronts. Some times with surprising success, and sometimes with much more disastrous results.

Ultimately the goal of the offense is to generate explosive plays. There are multiple ways you can generate explosive plays. There are also a few ways you can increase explosive play generation. Pace is one way to do it. Another way is by influencing the defense. If you look at Malzahn's offenses at every stop, he loves to utilize certain plays excessively to condition the defense to react a specific way. At some point in the game, they call a play that maximizes off that repetition. If you cannot convert those explosive plays, you have a very anemic offense. This is also why red zone has always been an issue under Malzahn. The offense is built around creating explosive plays. 

To clarify, this isnt a defense of Gus. It is just an explanation of what I see atleast. I do not agree with how we approached last nights game and likely wont enjoy how we approach the Kent State game. Either way, no use worrying about it, because we either have a decent season, or we get a new coaching staff.

4 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

It is not really about giving him credit as much as it is evaluating what happened. When is the last time you have seen a Malzahn offense attempt 29 passes in the first half?

Ultimately the goal of the offense is to generate explosive plays. There are multiple ways you can generate explosive plays. There are also a few ways you can increase explosive play generation. Pace is one way to do it. Another way is by influencing the defense. If you look at Malzahn's offenses at every stop, he loves to utilize certain plays excessively to condition the defense to react a specific way. At some point in the game, they call a play that maximizes off that repetition. If you cannot convert those explosive plays, you have a very anemic offense. This is also why red zone has always been an issue under Malzahn. The offense is built around creating explosive plays. 

To clarify, this isnt a defense of Gus. It is just an explanation of what I see atleast. I do not agree with how we approached last nights game and likely wont enjoy how we approach the Kent State game. Either way, no use worrying about it, because we either have a decent season, or we get a new coaching staff.

Not wishing disaster, but put me in the club looking for the latter. I've had about all the mediocrity out of Gus I can stand.  Auburn could be so much more, and deservedly so.

We have two games of data to determine where and how our running game works, vs. where and how it does not work. Let's focus on plays with a greater chance of success. My hunch is the perimeter has more potential than the inside runs.

Our passing game seems to have more potential than our running game. Our OL seems to pass block better than it run blocks. I would suggest broadening the passing game to include more routes in the middle of the field (slants and crossing routes) and leaning on the passing game more. If we do, it will open up more of the running game.

We seem to attack the perimeter with our passing game. It seems most of our routes, outside of the deep post, are focused on the perimeter. What I do not like about that is against a good secondary, an interception is a certain pick-6.

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm interested in having this conversation but I'm not interested in critiquing everybody but leaving others out......I'm talking about the team as a whole and the only people I've seen do their job at a high level is Noah and tutt punt returning. That's it. Period.

I don't know what else we can do with the o line. They've been together for a while, they have seen what right looks like; They have physical talent.....Idk. I didn't play o line I'm interested to hear anything that may be able to help. 

That leads to the run game, where I don't care how good you are you really can't do anything if you're getting hit before you get 3 steps in. Ball security is big.....this go with practicing full speed so am I surprised? Not at all

Then that leads to the passing game not having support. Placing them in less than ideal situations and also being predictable. Which to be honest hasn't been great. Also we've been running around back here when we shouldn't and that hurts the o line. The typical problems that you imagine from a freshman. Staring wr down, reading defense, accuracy stuff. 

I have a few ideas for that stuff but I doubt we'll do any of it. What are some things you guys see?

pretty everything on the offensive side needs overhauling, starting with the sideline...its hard to watch

2 hours ago, AUFriction said:

I keep seeing this stated, but it just doesn’t appear to be fact. The two weakest players so far this year, Kim and Harrell, were 4 star guys grading out above a 90 by the recruiting services. The tackles have been playing relatively well.  Horton is the only “justified” weak spot. but even he was graded out around an 87. Plus, we’ve succeeded in running the ball with a lot less talent. See 2010. Talent is not the issue. Also, they whipped Oregon’s DL in the second half last week after a lethargic first half. So far, we’ve played 4 halves of football. In one of those halves, we ran the ball well and protected the quarterback well. That half was in a deficit at an away game against a team that’s probably going to win the pac 12. The issue has to be effort. Nothing else explains why the line played well in that one half and poorly in the other 3.

I don't care how many fictional crootin points they were given, they're not SEC talent.

Let me just ask you this. When is the last time you actually had fun watching a Gus offense? Sans 2 games in November in 2017 the last time I had any fun and excitement watching AU football was the 2014 offense. Not only are we just plain awful on the OL we are painfully boring to watch. I can only imagine how recruits feel.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Let me just ask you this. When is the last time you actually had fun watching a Gus offense? Sans 2 games in November in 2017 the last time I had any fun and excitement watching AU football was the 2014 offense. Not only are we just plain awful on the OL we are painfully boring to watch. I can only imagine how recruits feel.

I enjoyed LY bowl game. 🤷🏼‍♀️

2 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

I enjoyed LY bowl game. 🤷🏼‍♀️

That just made me angry more than anything. It was like taunting us of what could of been.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

i know what you mean

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

What are some things you guys see?

The interior OL is the team weakness.

I'd go with more 4 WR sets to spread out defenses and use more zone blocking concepts in the run game. This would help the interior OL bc nearly every assignment they'd have some form of help, then work on getting off the combo blocks to the 2nd level of the defense. More pistol sets, too.

The OL has been decent in pass pro, but I'd emphasize getting it out quick in the passing game. Attack the seams vertically to stress the safeties and prove to defenses we can hurt them deep. I'd also get my RBs more involved in the passing game by throwing to them on flares and outs. 

We need to do a better job of getting our guys in space and quit playing in the box so much.

The problem will be the next game, when our"play caller", calls the same BS he has been calling and it works against a subpar Kent St. team and he then thinks the offense has suddenly has been fixed, and we roll into College Station with this weak run up the middle High School O. We have the talent on both sides of the ball to hang with anyone. 

1 minute ago, AlaskanFAN said:

The problem will be the next game, when our"play caller", calls the same BS he has been calling and it works against a subpar Kent St. team and he then thinks the offense has suddenly has been fixed, and we roll into College Station with this weak run up the middle High School O. We have the talent on both sides of the ball to hang with anyone. 

That's simply not true.

3 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

That's simply not true.

Sure it is. They are just not be utilized properly nor being put in the position to let their talent be used.

3 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Sure it is. They are just not be utilized properly nor being put in the position to let their talent be used.

The fact of the matter is that both are true.  We don't have enough talent at key positions and they're being improperly utilized.  

1 hour ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

One of my favorite posters. Good, rational post. 

1. The Offensive Line scheme needs a total overhaul.  Again, that passive "let the D be the aggressor" scheme is going to continue to make the linemen look passive and foolish...

2. The play-calling needs to be brought up to the standards necessary to actually keep an opposing Defense on it's heels for more than 5-10 plays per game....

3a. The RBs...okay well, the ONE RB that's allowed to actually take a hand-off, need to be taught ball security.....

3b. Perhaps if one...ONE...RB weren't taking almost ALL of the snaps in, what? ...90ish degrees & (I'm guessing) high humidity... he might not be so fatigued and maybe, just maybe, he'd be able to hold onto the ball better...especially later in the game...

4. It needs to quit being assumed that every kickoff will be a touchback & every punt will be a fair catch.  Whoever is in charge of ST needs to Google "American Football Kick Coverage" and try to implement one of the plans he finds...

Well....I guess the buck stops with one guy so...

AdolescentClumsyGar-size_restricted.gif

30 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

The fact of the matter is that both are true.  We don't have enough talent at key positions and they're being improperly utilized.  

It literally can't be both. If we don't have talented players, there's no one to under-utilize. 

I believe it is utilization. After rewatching the game today, the issue to me seemed really clear. Everyone seems to think that we didn't run the ball inside very well. But the reality is that we didn't run the ball inside much at all. Coming out of the gate, the first few drives tended to follow this pattern:

First down- Short throw to the perimeter (either a screen or a bunch of out routes)

Second down- Sweep play (and it was the same sweep play every time)

Third and Long- Pass play designed to get us right at the sticks for a first down

Occasionally, we'd run it up the middle on first down for a 2-3 yard gain, and then we'd give up on the interior run. 

The second touchdown in the game went away from this pattern. We were more committed to running the ball and started to get some push up front. 

The second half was misleading. It may seem like the offense didn't move any better since we only scored 10 points. However, we moved the ball with some consistency in the second half. We had 5 drives in the second half, and we only punted on 1 of them... the first one. After that, we had 2 scoring drives, a 1 play drive that ended in a fumble, and a drive where we moved the ball down the field easily but took a knee rather than trying to score. We ran the ball much better in the second half. We started pulling guards and running off tackle, which allowed our running backs to get into the secondary and occasionally break off big runs. 

Honestly, it may sound like Gus is just repeating previous statements when he is saying we need to run the ball more and better on early downs. But he's right. We got too cute in the first half. We should have just committed to the running game. We may not have scored early, but we would have worn them down quicker which probably would have lead to a score closer to 40ish to 6. That score would have made people more comfortable.

After rewatching, here's what held us back last night overall:

1. We needed to commit to running the ball downhill, and we needed to let Bo keep some early.

2. We had a very vanilla gameplan offensively. Not sure if we were holding back, or if it is just that they don't want to throw too much at Bo. Either way, the "trick" plays that we used were the exact same plays we used against Oregon last week. We ran some jet sweeps, and all of them were the same play out of the same formation. 

3. I like that we are trying to throw it more on first down. We shouldn't do that until we get the run game going a little more. We came out of the gate with a throw on first down approach, and it put a lot on the shoulders of our freshman QB. 

4. Bo is still not seeing the field completely, which is expected. There were several times that he didn't see wide open receivers. 

5. Kaleb Kim did struggle blocking, particularly when he was lined up in front of number 77 for Tulane. Not sure if 77 was that good or if Kim is that weak. Probably a little of both, but props to 77 of Tulane. He was disruptive. When the inside run game didn't work, it was usually because of him. 

6. In the first half specifically (but even at times in the second half), our offensive line appeared to lack that killer edge. People keep insisting it is physical ability due to poor OL recruiting. I used to think that way. However, the more I watch, the more I don't think it is physical ability. It seems like 1 player inside isn't getting a push each time, and it is never the same player. Maybe Kim and Harrell block really well on one play, but the interior collapses because Horton fails to block his guy. Then the next play Horton and Harrell do well, but Kim doesn't... ETC.  That screams inconsistency as the key problem rather than strength or ability. Simply put, I don't think our guys on the interior OL are playing to their talent level. 

10 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Moral of the story... RUN THE BALL

We can't run the ball effectively as we do not have the talent to do so.

Archived