Tulane Game Report Card

StatTiger

Wow, 1-16 for the offense. Only 3.3 yards per play on first downs, yeesh. I think the improvement needs to begin at winning first downs. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

I think the improvement needs to begin at winning first downs. 

Which begins with whoever calls the plays....................

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1-16... even worse than it looked.

Stat, if you have time: have we ever went 1-16 before, against an unranked, non SEC opponent?

• Like 2

Thanks @StatTiger, as always!!!

That was an awful performance by the offense any way you slice it.   The OL is just not good, period.  I think that may be a factor in the head-scratching play calling we have seen.   But unfortunately, our issues are deeper than just the OL and play-calling.  

I wish we could put together a decent offense to go with our excellent defense.   I’m afraid that our lack of pass rush is going to hurt us badly when we play bama, uga, and LSU.   Punt defense wasn’t much better yesterday.   Time is running out for us to fix our problems on offense, which are extensive!!!

• Like 1

• RunInRed featured and pinned this topic

Great report. But I believe I heard Malzahn in his after game press conference say that DJ Williams injured himself during the practice week. He hoped he could be back against Kent St. I also think DJ has been banged up even since the spring game(shoulder)...and continues to get banged up keeping him from a chance to play.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

1-16... even worse than it looked.

Stat, if you have time: have we ever went 1-16 before, against an unranked, non SEC opponent?

No

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Not the first time I've said this, but that's a pretty sobering offensive report. I've been very critical of the coaching on this board and others for a very long time and I'm trying very hard to give the benefit of the doubt early in the season. But man, it's really really hard not to see the same deficiencies and predictability as last year. If this doesn't improve and we have the same results as last year the drumbeat from fans and writers is going to be deafening. If not now, then when? Probably not in 2020 with all the parts we have to replace. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ValleyTiger said:

Wow, 1-16 for the offense. Only 3.3 yards per play on first downs, yeesh. I think the improvement needs to begin at winning first downs. 

Bingo. We got cute on first down last night. Too many perimeter runs and screen passes. Would be interesting to see how the number would have been different if we had committed to the downhill running game early instead of this dink-and-dunk perimeter stuff. 

To be fair though, the 1-16 is a little misleading. We didn't use a lot of tempo last night, and Tulane was milking the play clock on every play. We only got 5 possessions in the 2nd half, and one of them ended after 1 play (with the fumble). We also sat on the ball in the redzone on the final drive instead of scoring, which we could have easily done. Take that into account and it is likely that 4, 7, 8, 10, and 16 would have  been passes. Most of the rest of the numbers would have come up if we had committed to the inside run game early instead of trying to throw underneath and run to the perimeter.

4 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

(Cough cough) involve Matthew Hill more at WR (cough cough). 

And Harold Joiner. Grossly misusing these 2 guys!

• Like 5

Tiger Stat, I don't hold you responsible, but I don't feel any better after reading the facts.

All joking aside - thanks man.

I knew we were in trouble the very first series on 3rd and 2 and we run some fancy ass reverse fake pass which didn’t work. Should have just ran the damn ball. 

15 hours ago, AUFriction said:

Bingo. We got cute on first down last night. Too many perimeter runs and screen passes. Would be interesting to see how the number would have been different if we had committed to the downhill running game early instead of this dink-and-dunk perimeter stuff. 

To be fair though, the 1-16 is a little misleading. We didn't use a lot of tempo last night, and Tulane was milking the play clock on every play. We only got 5 possessions in the 2nd half, and one of them ended after 1 play (with the fumble). We also sat on the ball in the redzone on the final drive instead of scoring, which we could have easily done. Take that into account and it is likely that 4, 7, 8, 10, and 16 would have  been passes. Most of the rest of the numbers would have come up if we had committed to the inside run game early instead of trying to throw underneath and run to the perimeter.

From what I saw, Tulane sold out to stop the run by putting 8-9 guys in the box.  Now I'm no mathematician but its kind of hard to block them all if they out number your guys.  Having said that, one way to counter this is to use screens and play action passing.  Gus finally figured it out in the second quarter.  IMHO, he continues to force the issue when the defense is showing you otherwise...that's just being stubborn.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Warbird82 said:

From what I saw, Tulane sold out to stop the run by putting 8-9 guys in the box.  Now I'm no mathematician but its kind of hard to block them all if they out number your guys.  Having said that, one way to counter this is to use screens and play action passing.  Gus finally figured it out in the second quarter.  IMHO, he continues to force the issue when the defense is showing you otherwise...that's just being stubborn.

This will be the blueprint for opposing defenses the rest of the season.  They want to see if our Freshman QB can carry the team.  We’ve been successful so far, but that is largely due to our defense.  This could change if Bo can successfully navigate a sustained drive when faced with this type of defense. However, when we run into a bonafide SEC defense that knows Gus has scripted plays to start the game, it is a guaranteed slow start.

Combine that with Gus’ use of one option pass routes and/or having the QB only look at the primary receiver and we could get in the hole quickly.  Something similar to the start of the 2018 LSU game.                                

2 hours ago, AdamsHouseCat said:

How do we go from showing really good offensive potential in the Oregon game to what we saw against Tulane?  Same pattern as last year?

At least you notice that.   

You're ahead of the curve compared to some...

• Like 1