Why not Gatewood at RB?

Quietmaninthecorner

11 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Instead of using Boobie for wildcat I wish we would just bring in Joey. 

It will be interesting to see how Gus reacts to Boobee’s recent fumble issues. Fumbling typically sends a RB to the doghouse purgatory. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

You do not think Joey would be good in the wildcat position?  

I think he would be ideal except we have to substitute to get him in the game. The wildcat is best when you don't have to substitute otherwise the D can easily counter

16 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Football doesn't work that way. You just don't put a QB at RB. There are so many different aspects he would have to learn. ANd tbh, we have a back like that already in Joiner, that Gus doesn't use as a RB except to pass to him once a game.

If your idea is get Gatewood more into the game, then let him go in at QB at different times in the game and see if he can run the HUNH or RPOs and get our Running game going. But don't wait till the end.

With a true pass option. 

2 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

WTF?  It is just spit-balling.  Trying to get some discussion going here other than the bitching and moaning.   You do not think Joey would be good in the wildcat position?  It is basically the same thing with a wrinkle.    Perhaps you should go back to shock therapy.😉    

It was a joke. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I think he would be ideal except we have to substitute to get him in the game. The wildcat is best when you don't have to substitute otherwise the D can easily counter

you say that like Gus has never substituted a player into the wildcat position.     Besides that would be the whole point of getting joey in at RB for a few plays. (not a true WC)  If the D keys on him,  just use him as a normal blocker,  and turn the play toward the D's new weakness.     NO substitution,  and he can easily step up into a true wildcat position. We now control our own offense instead of letting the defense dictate what we run.  He doesn't have to be in every play,  just a handful of plays every now and then.  

a little off topic here, but >     The problem with Gus is as fundamental as it gets.    He tries to "take what the Defense gives us"  The problem with that is defensive coaches know this,  and can give Gus What they want Gus to run,   and  scheme against it.      Our O needs to take control of the game.   .  We need start dictating what the defense has to do and scheme against that.  Impose our O will on their D.   not the other way around..

20 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

the reason behind my thinking is that our other 4 RBs do not garner the attention Gatewood could.    Defenses are not scared of our current stable,  and the threat of  Gatewood throwing (like wildcat) is strong enough defenses would have to respect it.       He doesn't need to be in the game all the time.  10 or so plays with 50% of those he gets the ball and 1/4 of those he passes.

I think our other running backs are garnering plenty of attention. Our opponents are loading the box, keying on our running game as the biggest threat to them.

22 hours ago, cole256 said:

We can move Bo to wr while we're at it, who needs a qb

...we...we do? I mean otherwise the center is just gonna huck it backwards 20 yards and it's a fumble.

I swear cole, I thought you knew football

3 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

you say that like Gus has never substituted a player into the wildcat position.     Besides that would be the whole point of getting joey in at RB for a few plays. (not a true WC)  If the D keys on him,  just use him as a normal blocker,  and turn the play toward the D's new weakness.     NO substitution,  and he can easily step up into a true wildcat position. We now control our own offense instead of letting the defense dictate what we run.  He doesn't have to be in every play,  just a handful of plays every now and then.  

a little off topic here, but >     The problem with Gus is as fundamental as it gets.    He tries to "take what the Defense gives us"  The problem with that is defensive coaches know this,  and can give Gus What they want Gus to run,   and  scheme against it.      Our O needs to take control of the game.   .  We need start dictating what the defense has to do and scheme against that.  Impose our O will on their D.   not the other way around..

put our only backup qb in to possible block a pass rush?

2 hours ago, fasttimes said:

put our only backup qb in to possible block a pass rush?

Lets just keep him on the pine where he is protected.   May be we should bench Bo also   so he doesn't get hurt.   

2 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

...we...we do? I mean otherwise the center is just gonna huck it backwards 20 yards and it's a fumble.

I swear cole, I thought you knew football

Well,  that ^  and ....  Bo's talent is not running or catching.     We need to get Gatewood on the field.

3 hours ago, Zinzan said:

I think our other running backs are garnering plenty of attention. Our opponents are loading the box, keying on our running game as the biggest threat to them.

Our backs garner too much attention.   Hence the Joey wrinkle.

I think Joey, with his ability/threat to pass, will diminish the "keying on the run".   Just plugging in another running back doesn't change much. Yeah some are faster some are bigger etc.  but they  are a big threat to pass the ball.   If you stop the run you stop Auburn.   We have to do something about the D's keying on our run game until  our pass game gets it together.    

25 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Well,  that ^  and ....  Bo's talent is not running or catching.     We need to get Gatewood on the field.

He's not talented running? I'm sure he can catch, he was catching passes with one hand during warm ups....

I have been staying away from here lately because I’m getting too damn old to argue. Maybe it’s the heat affecting my attitude? But , hell no Joey ain’t going to RB. He could be our qb in the next few weeks if the offense regresses. I was very disappointed with the Tulane game but it reminded me of Mercer in 17. We played better against Oregon and I cannot explain the Tulane lull except maybe that defense is better than the ducks. I predicted Bo to win the job and pretty much nailed it. But after seeing Joey truck a few guys last quarter, I feel much better about our plan B. In 17 we moved linemen around and found a better fit. I don’t know if that’s an option now but we have got to get a better run push. I’m a huge boobie fan “pun”. But he’s got to hold the ball better. He scared the hell out of me vs Oregon too the way he one armed it. 

4 hours ago, alexava said:

I have been staying away from here lately because I’m getting too damn old to argue. 

I understand. It's the personal attacks that ruin the board for me.   No matter who says what,  someone has to be an ass and take pot shots and/or make sarcastic remarks aimed at the poster.  It makes real discussion difficult to follow in a thread. 

I'm not arguing.  I hope I am not coming across that way.  I even said multiple times in this thread that this is just for discussion.   I am not even sold on the position i am taking.   . I'm  trying to get some discussion going by throwing something out there (that is non conventional) that I think would help our O get started.    Joey isn't made of glass.  The man is 6'5".  He shouldn't get 20 carries a game,  just 2-3,  but also get 2-3 as a distraction,   and  2-3  passing.    No more risk than 6- 9 plays at normal QB,  and it will get a play maker on the field.     He does not help the team sittin' on the pine.  We can't play scared of injury.

may be I should have called this pretend position  QB2 or WC2 instead of RB.   Seems a lot of posters are caught up in the semantics. He would basically still be a QB  just playing a few plays from the position normally reserved for a RB.

"I’m a huge boobie fan "    I like huge boobies too.      Boobie is not the only one I noticed daylight between the ball and body.   Bo has a bad habit of this also.  The loaf of bread carry.   As an ex CB  my eyes get huge when I see that slice of daylight.

War Eagle!

21 hours ago, bigbird said:

This. Also, and this just occurred to me, it's likely we don't want Joey taking too many unnecessary hits. If something were to happen to Nix and Gatewood was banged up from running a lot, then we're turning to Cord Sandberg with no 4th option to speak of.

13 hours ago, alexava said:

I have been staying away from here lately because I’m getting too damn old to argue. Maybe it’s the heat affecting my attitude? But , hell no Joey ain’t going to RB. He could be our qb in the next few weeks if the offense regresses. I was very disappointed with the Tulane game but it reminded me of Mercer in 17. We played better against Oregon and I cannot explain the Tulane lull except maybe that defense is better than the ducks. I predicted Bo to win the job and pretty much nailed it. But after seeing Joey truck a few guys last quarter, I feel much better about our plan B. In 17 we moved linemen around and found a better fit. I don’t know if that’s an option now but we have got to get a better run push. I’m a huge boobie fan “pun”. But he’s got to hold the ball better. He scared the hell out of me vs Oregon too the way he one armed it. 

Like this...and there is a reason there are very few 6'-5 RBs and it's usually those first few steps.    He gets a totally different view of things from the wildcat and  put him beside the QB in a RB formation I expect you will get a totally different result.    I like him at wildcat better than boobie...even if they play seems obvious, he will likely make yards.   A few years go KJ ran from the wildcat when everyone in the stadium knew what was going on …and he managed to slash in a good number of TDs.    I see Joey with that same skill .....and probably more ability to hold the ball than boobie.

Otherwise,  if Bo keeps missing open receivers we will probably see Joey before long.....but meanwhile I'm hoping Bo plays most of the Kent game …...he needs the reps and his offense needs to get on the same page with him.   JMO but shuffling players and QBs will not help that situation very much.  Bo is #1 and hoping he takes a big stop forward this week. 

Im just now able to watch the game but i saw highlights of Joeys run at the end of them game. He carries the ball exactly as he did in high school...... away from his body. Thats a fumble waiting to happen. I would have thought our staff would have coached that out of him. Apparently that damn ball on a string didnt teach him crap about keeping the ball tucked in tight. I dont blame him though. Its a habit not coached out of him yet. If only the coaches had seen him carrying it that way in some live contact then just maybe it could have been corrected. His ball security needs to improve and i hope it does because he needs to atleast be our wildcat guy if Gus cant dial up any other plays to get him in the game.

As awesome as Nick Marshall was running the ball it was never considered at any level to put him at rb. It’s just a different position that he is not built for. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

As awesome as Nick Marshall was running the ball it was never considered at any level to put him at rb. It’s just a different position that he is not built for. 

Wasn't Marshall  a converted WR?  

Archived