Why not Gatewood at RB?

Quietmaninthecorner

28 minutes ago, alexava said:

He is now in the cfl. 

As a DB.

....sorry, the running thread felt like an unfinished poem...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Zeek said:

This. Also, and this just occurred to me, it's likely we don't want Joey taking too many unnecessary hits. If something were to happen to Nix and Gatewood was banged up from running a lot, then we're turning to Cord Sandburg with no 4th option to speak of.

How will he take harder hits at "QB2"  than he does at QB?    Wouldn't the risk of injury be the same?  He still runs, throws or hands off. Eventually he is going to take some hits.    If he has to step up in absence of Bo,,  he needs as much on field experience as he can get.    The problem is doing that and not taking away crucial reps from Bo. 

4 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

How will he take harder hits at "QB2"  than he does at QB?    Wouldn't the risk of injury be the same?  He still runs, throws or hands off. Eventually he is going to take some hits.    If he has to step up in absence of Bo,,  he needs as much on field experience as he can get.    The problem is doing that and not taking away crucial reps from Bo. 

If he's strictly running read options than he's running the ball more than he would if he were legitimately coming in as a quarterback. That's what I was alluding to with my comment.

13 minutes ago, Zeek said:

If he's strictly running read options than he's running the ball more than he would if he were legitimately coming in as a quarterback. That's what I was alluding to with my comment.

He runs the ball about every time he gets in the game now.  

6 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

He runs the ball about every time he gets in the game now.  

Which isn't wise

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Which isn't wise

hence the reason to give him some options.  Get him on the field where he doesn't get the ball every time.  2 different plays  7 options, only 2 of which are runs, and 2 of which he never even touches the ball.     2 pass, 2 runs, 2 distractions where Bo runs/passes like a normal play.   Also,  when the D keys on QB2.... ONE surprise handoff/ pitch to QB2  then the reverse to an end..    Even if Gatewood is just playing distraction and only does a minimal chip bloc,  he will learn, get more comfortable standing on the field vs a live non friendly D.  The only downside would be injury,  and I think he would be less likely to get injured in 7 plays at QB2   than what we are doing now.    

• 2 weeks later...

Wait!??   What????   Did I see Joey and Nix on the field at the same time?  Glad no one got hospitalized with a career ending injury.  

Yeah, Nix was in "QB2"  position,  but ..... semantics.

9 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Wait!??   What????   Did I see Joey and Nix on the field at the same time?  Glad no one got hospitalized with a career ending injury.  

There was a play like that with both on the field at the same time during the Kent St. game. It was a run for like 8yds for Gatewood.

Interesting look for sure and now with Gatewood having thrown a pass for a TD it should draw a little more attention for opposing defenses to at least think there could be a pass instead of a 100% run.

1 minute ago, McFU said:

There was a play like that with both on the field at the same time during the Kent St. game. It was a run for like 8yds for Gatewood.

Interesting look for sure and now with Gatewood having thrown a pass for a TD it should draw a little more attention for opposing defenses to at least think there could be a pass instead of a 100% run.

and a beautiful pass it was.

25 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Would it had mattered if Bo was out there that particular play or vice versa? Whoever plays the no 2 position?

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Would it had mattered if Bo was out there that particular play or vice versa? Whoever plays the no 2 position?

I think so because the entire D triggered on Joey's first two steps.  Everyone was prepared for him to run it.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think so because the entire D triggered on Joey's first two steps.  Everyone was prepared for him to run it.

I agree but what I'm saying does it matter if Bo was out there on that particular play at the same time

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I agree but what I'm saying does it matter if Bo was out there on that particular play at the same time

Gotcha...no

Just now, bigbird said:

Gotcha...no

I feel like the only way to help Joey the most is get big leads and let him come in and run the offense, which no shot or whatever nobody can really expect to happen. Bunch of variables. How many opportunities are we really going to get?

Another thing is if we do get that situation Gus is going to run ball only.

Another thing is Bo needs more work than many thought, he needs the reps himself. 

It's just about reps now

Just now, cole256 said:

I think we have a pretty strong and educated guess!

True. Would it have worked without Bo?  Probably!   BUT,   then Bo would have given up one more Rep (at least view from the field)  that he desperately needs.  The whole point of this thread from the beginning was trying to find a way to get Gatewood some reps without taking them away from Nix.  I suspect we will see more of this in the future along with  more Joey being given the full reigns. 

2 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

True. Would it have worked without Bo?  Probably!   BUT,   then Bo would have given up one more Rep (at least view from the field)  that he desperately needs.  The whole point of this thread from the beginning was trying to find a way to get Gatewood some reps without taking them away from Nix.  I suspect we will see more of this in the future along with  more Joey being given the full reigns. 

I see what you are saying and we just have 2 different views which is cool. IMO if Bo isn't making the throw this isn't a rep he needed at all, and I don't think it helps Gatewood that much either as he needs reps marching a team down field. Unfortunately you can have only one QB. I was really hoping Bo would be further along and the last two games Joey could've gotten some reps. I don't think it's too much of a reach to say if Gus had let Joey play a good bit during the bowl game he would be in a better space now. I say that to say maybe you are right though reps are worth ALOT.

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I feel like the only way to help Joey the most is get big leads and let him come in and run the offense, which no shot or whatever nobody can really expect to happen. Bunch of variables. How many opportunities are we really going to get?

Another thing is if we do get that situation Gus is going to run ball only.

Another thing is Bo needs more work than many thought, he needs the reps himself. 

It's just about reps now

I know no one is going to say this, and I definitely don't want it to happen from a fan perspective, but assuming that this is the 4th game he has played in... 

If I'm Gatewood or his parents. I'm giving serious consideration to entering the transfer portal. 

I know that's taboo, but having played and transferring to Auburn, making the team and then being disqualified from playing because of not transferring soon enough, I don't think that it should be understated that as a QB the situation is 10x worse. The reality of this situation is that Nix is the starter and the outlook is for him to progress into being such for the duration of 4 years. Gatewood is a redshirt freshman and with less eligibility than Nix. I would think Gatewood is of starting quality for some other team either within or outside of the conference. I'd rather not see someone take the Hurts route and leave things to chance (This is the former player in me speaking. Not the fan.)that he may not be able to get enough time to develop and have to fight out a QB battle under-exposed to a new offense.

Gatewood's role here is essentially a gadget player for about 3-5 plays a game if that. Its not really an essential role or one that we would miss. Especially considering we have Nix's talent manning the ship. In all earnest, this year would be a waste for him, when he could go somewhere else and serve out his year in residence or be granted immediate waiver. 

In today's age, that's how it is. Look at Fields. He knew he wouldn't be able to take the lead from Fromm and most of his eligibility would be used sitting until Fromm left so he made a smart move. (And see how it panned out.)

Am I wrong in this assessment? This is his 4th game so its the last opportunity. 

9 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I know no one is going to say this, and I definitely don't want it to happen from a fan perspective, but assuming that this is the 4th game he has played in... 

If I'm Gatewood or his parents. I'm giving serious consideration to entering the transfer portal. 

I know that's taboo, but having played and transferring to Auburn, making the team and then being disqualified from playing because of not transferring soon enough, I don't think that it should be understated that as a QB the situation is 10x worse. The reality of this situation is that Nix is the starter and the outlook is for him to progress into being such for the duration of 4 years. Gatewood is a redshirt freshman and with less eligibility than Nix. I would think Gatewood is of starting quality for some other team either within or outside of the conference. I'd rather not see someone take the Hurts route and leave things to chance (This is the former player in me speaking. Not the fan.)that he may not be able to get enough time to develop and have to fight out a QB battle under-exposed to a new offense.

Gatewood's role here is essentially a gadget player for about 3-5 plays a game if that. Its not really an essential role or one that we would miss. Especially considering we have Nix's talent manning the ship. In all earnest, this year would be a waste for him, when he could go somewhere else and serve out his year in residence or be granted immediate waiver. 

In today's age, that's how it is. Look at Fields. He knew he wouldn't be able to take the lead from Fromm and most of his eligibility would be used sitting until Fromm left so he made a smart move. (And see how it panned out.)

Am I wrong in this assessment? This is his 4th game so its the last opportunity. 

I said all this when he lost the QB battle. I said if it was truly a battle and if and only if he can throw he should transfer because people will want to change his position, (which some do) so he has an even shorter timeline to try to get better which will only happen thru reps.......

Let's just say this was met with hostility 😂. You have a way with words so maybe they will listen to you.....but no I don't think you're wrong at all. If I was him I would've been trying to get to Duke, Florida, Oklahoma as soon as Bo signed here and they was making me "earn" my number

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I see what you are saying and we just have 2 different views which is cool. IMO if Bo isn't making the throw this isn't a rep he needed at all, and I don't think it helps Gatewood that much either as he needs reps marching a team down field. Unfortunately you can have only one QB. I was really hoping Bo would be further along and the last two games Joey could've gotten some reps. I don't think it's too much of a reach to say if Gus had let Joey play a good bit during the bowl game he would be in a better space now. I say that to say maybe you are right though reps are worth ALOT.

Just seeing the field from the field helps both at this point.   Even if they are just a distraction or blocker.   when I played baseball in HS   My first action was spread out over 6 +  games.  Just parts on innings.    Never long enough for me to get rid of the jitters.  I always felt like an adrenaline filled mistake ready top happen.  I got no action in the field during that time.   After 4 or 5 times,  I got to the point where it was no big deal.  I realized I could do this and also learned to control the adrenaline rush.    I could play more relaxed on the field.  I was never all that great,  but I was noticeably more comfortable.  What ever the sport,  I still get that rush at the start,  but but I don't look like I am all twitchy on crack.  :)

For my next experiment we should put Sandberg  (@ FB), Lindsey (slot),  and Appleton (Tackle)    on the field at the same time as joey  and Nix . just for the experience.    :)

I guess we'll just have to hold our breath this week and see what happens. I am sure there are going to be some heart to heart sit downs with Joey, his parents and Gus to clarify what his plans are for Joey. Joey is just too gifted to get 3, 4 or 5 plays each game and then only if the OL doesn't get a penalty. When that happens he doesn't get the next play.. 

So we are in a dilemma and this has no reflection on Bo one way or the other. If Joey thinks he can start somewhere and I think he can, it would not be surprising to see Joey enter the portal this week. I would really hate to lose him because he is going to be very good but he needs to play football. He's got about 6 days to decide so we wait and see.

Thing with Joey is that by the time he's a junior or so he will be an absolute freak out there -- JMO of course but the kid is ridiculously talented. I just hope Dan Mullen doesn't turn him into a turbo-Dak in the SEC. 

What are our realistic options here? Best case scenario Bo Nix absolutely takes off and becomes a star and declares for the NFL draft as a junior and Joey sticks around to get 1 year of starting? I just don't see this as realistic for someone of his skill level. And as @Malcolm_FleX48 said, QBs are transferring and balling out across the country for more opportunity.

I won't be mad at him if he transfers out. To pivot, Nate Craig-Meyers hit a career high in receptions and in yards in his first game at Colorado State this weekend. 5 catches for 88 yards. I'd never fault a kid for leaving AU for a better opportunity to showcase his skills.

Archived