Has it started?

ToomersStreet

1 minute ago, mcgufcm said:

LSU has a liability of a defense right now. Auburn has a liability of an offense right now. Six in one hand, half dozen in the other.

But does LSU have a liability of a defense right now because they have had the same defensive coordinator doggedly retreating from any new ideas or other forms of progress for 7 years? That was a rhetorical question.

What I don't actually know is if they have a major position group on defense that they have been aggressively underrecruitng and misevaluating for a similar length of time. 

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Barnacle, maybe. It's a fair opinion. From my view, I saw CBs that were poor in coverage. I saw Safeties take bad angles to give up big plays. I saw a pass rush that could not influence the QB, and I saw DEs and LBs lose contain and/or blow spy assignments consistently. It was a mess. I don't think they looked at all like a Top 3 team unless you think Texas a Top 4-7 caliber team. I don't.

@McLoofus, that's also a fair question, but I don't think it has any impact on this season. It's more of a systemic question about future years.

5 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

We played an Oregon offense that is going to score a million points this year, and we handled them. Period. There is no universe in which what just happened to LSU would ever happen to us. None. 

That's kind of my point. We go play a team that's a Top 8-15 range team, and after the first quarter, they can't move the ball on us. LSU goes to play a Top 8-15 range team and can't get a stop to save their mother's life. But all an Auburn fan sees is a shiny offense because it's what we lack. 

LSU has a liability of a defense right now. Auburn has a liability of an offense right now. Six in one hand, half dozen in the other.

I could care less what Lswho does defensively unless it's against Auburn. It's not a justification of why our Offense has been essentially stagnant the past few years.

Correction. The past year and two games. We weren't stagnant offensively in 2017.

Anyway, I've given my take. I think Auburn fans routinely poo-poo what we do well and focus only on what we have to improve. If our defense maintains it's level, we're already a Top 15 team. If the offense lifts its level, we're a Top 5 team. I don't have confidence in Gus. I think we'll be a very good 8-4 team due to the offense and the schedule. 

9 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

We played an Oregon offense that is going to score a million points this year, and we handled them. Period. There is no universe in which what just happened to LSU would ever happen to us. None. 

That's kind of my point. We go play a team that's a Top 8-15 range team, and after the first quarter, they can't move the ball on us. LSU goes to play a Top 8-15 range team and can't get a stop to save their mother's life. But all an Auburn fan sees is a shiny offense because it's what we lack. 

That shiny new offense is what has been missing at LSU for years.  LSU can go head to head in a shootout now, that's something they haven't been aable to do sine 2011.

Every team has improvements to make all over the place and some have easier schedules down the road to make adjustments.  Aranda has time to clean up that defense over the next month.  Auburn does not have that luxury and must make serious improvements this week or they are in trouble down the road.

29 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

@leglessdan , @keesler, @mcgufcm that is how you have a proper discussion.  All points of view coming together in a mature form.  Many on here can take a lesson from you guys.

@leglessdan , @keesler , @mcgufcm ...

giphy (1).gif

6 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Do you see what is wrong with the first post quoted?  You first say you don't begrudge someone going positive and then you proceed to do just that, or support others who are jumping on others.  Just something I wanted to make you aware of.

Noooooo I’m disagreeing with the positive takes which I believe is fine. You disagree with negative takes. What I’m saying is I don’t blame some people for being positive. Doesn’t mean I won’t come on a MESSAGE BOARD ABOUT SPORTS and disagree or tease them about it...like 95% of the other posters on here.  

I’m consistently amazed at the decorum police on message boards...its a message board folks...we aint at Sunday dinner at 64’s house.  Its fun, its sarcastic, its debate, its snarky...thats what its here for...is everyone on this board like @augolf1716‘s age??? 

“We must have civil debate on this football message board”....like is this PBS? Is this Dateline?  

ITS A FOOTBALL MESSAGE BOARD for heaven sake.  

Just now, nixtosanders94 said:

Noooooo I’m disagreeing with the positive takes which I believe is fine. You disagree with negative takes. What I’m saying is I don’t blame some people for being positive. Doesn’t mean I won’t come on a MESSAGE BOARD ABOUT SPORTS and disagree or tease them about it...like 95% of the other posters on here.  

I understand that.  Trust me I do.  And I have no issue with you as we have not conversed before.  But those posts I quoted are not what you are saying.  You are doing the exact thing you said you are not doing.  It's not just this thread either.  I just did not want to pile onto you.  I figured those few posts would get the point across.  You are only good for your word, and if you make it obvious in your first few posts you can't be taken for your word it takes a lifetime to earn that trust back.  I say this in kind, so please just be mindful.

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

@Barnacle, maybe. It's a fair opinion. From my view, I saw CBs that were poor in coverage. I saw Safeties take bad angles to give up big plays. I saw a pass rush that could not influence the QB, and I saw DEs and LBs lose contain and/or blow spy assignments consistently. It was a mess. I don't think they looked at all like a Top 3 team unless you think Texas a Top 4-7 caliber team. I don't.

@McLoofus, that's also a fair question, but I don't think it has any impact on this season. It's more of a systemic question about future years.

I would agree with a lot of what you are saying about lsu except we haven’t won down there since the Clinton administration so forgive us if we have our doubts...

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

I understand that.  Trust me I do.  And I have no issue with you as we have not conversed before.  But those posts I quoted are not what you are saying.  You are doing the exact thing you said you are not doing.  It's not just this thread either.  I just did not want to pile onto you.  I figured those few posts would get the point across.  You are only good for your word, and if you make it obvious in your first few posts you can't be taken for your word it takes a lifetime to earn that trust back.  I say this in kind, so please just be mindful.

Nah dude. I’m really not begrudging anyone their positive take...seriously I’m not. But this is a message board where we debate stuff so yeah I’m gonna be snarky and sarcastic and disagree when I see someone who supports the mediocrity we keep seeing on offense.  That doesn’t mean I begrudge them their positive take.  I don’t consider them less of a fan. But many times I have been told I am less of a fan because I am not happy with the coach...thats the difference. 

23 hours ago, JWShewmake said:

Amazing how suddenly the experts come out of the woodwork who don't have a clue how to build or maintain a major college football program.  Most of  you have probably never even played football and certainly not at the college level.  You are not helping.   It is hard to see how some of you folks lift your head up off the  pillow in the morning to start the day.  This is football, not life.  You negative guys need to be bammer fans because you are acting like them,  if  you aren't to begin with.

JWShewmake

You are 100% right I never played college ball, do not know how to build and maintain a program but I do know that Gus also can not build and maintain an SEC caliber program either.

6 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Nah dude. I’m really not begrudging anyone their positive take...seriously I’m not. But this is a message board where we debate stuff so yeah I’m gonna be snarky and sarcastic and disagree when I see someone who supports the mediocrity we keep seeing on offense.  That doesn’t mean I begrudge them their positive take.  I don’t consider them less of a fan. But many times I have been told I am less of a fan because I am not happy with the coach...thats the difference. 

Okay so I am going to try my best to illustrated how you have come across, and I am not the only one judging by the reactions to my post to you.  

23 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I’m outta likes but LMAO!

This comment was a response to this comment:  "JWShewmake is one of my favorite parody accounts on this site. It is a parody account, right?"  That is making fun of the poster for his opinion.

•  
23 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 

This response was to this comment:  "JWShewmake is the Wade Christopher of internet posting."  Again, making fun of the same poster.

18 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Mikey drives the bus...64 sits on his lap

This was a direct comment on another thread from you to illustrate it is not just this thread you have supported or made fun of posters yourself.  By the way, saying 64 sits on his lap can also be taken as a homophobic jab at 64.

I don't think any of these are against the rules with the exception of the homophobic comment if the MODS take it that way (not saying they will nor do I think that comment was reported).  Just don't say you don't go after other posters because you were.  I get it.  Posters may have come after you as well.  They have to me as you have probably seen.  Just take the higher road.  Regarding the forum police above, this is a private forum technically.  They can boot you at any time.  The MODS here pride themselves on being a better Auburn forum than any other and have done amazing work.  Posters are held to a higher standard than places like the Rant.

Just now, abw0004 said:

Okay so I am going to try my best to illustrated how you have come across, and I am not the only one judging by the reactions to my post to you.  

This comment was a response to this comment:  "JWShewmake is one of my favorite parody accounts on this site. It is a parody account, right?"  That is making fun of the poster for his opinion.

•  

This response was to this comment:  "JWShewmake is the Wade Christopher of internet posting."  Again, making fun of the same poster.

This was a direct comment on another thread from you to illustrate it is not just this thread you have supported or made fun of posters yourself.  By the way, saying 64 sits on his lap can also be taken as a homophobic jab at 64.

I don't think any of these are against the rules with the exception of the homophobic comment if the MODS take it that way (not saying they will nor do I think that comment was reported).  Just don't say you don't go after other posters because you were.  I get it.  Posters may have come after you as well.  They have to me as you have probably seen.  Just take the higher road.  Regarding the forum police above, this is a private forum technically.  They can boot you at any time.  The MODS here pride themselves on being a better Auburn forum than any other and have done amazing work.  Posters are held to a higher standard than places like the Rant.

Im gonna just stop responding now because its pointless. Its a freakin message board.  If I get booted I promise you I will recover. I don’t believe I have done anything to merit that but since you seem to be the decorum police maybe I have.  Again, its a message board. Lighten up Francis. 

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

And that's the problem.  Some of us might ONLY HAVE a few years left, so we need Auburn to live up to our football fantasy NOW, and not wait 2-3 more years ...

BTW, that's a cancer joke. 

Hey, I've got it.  Might as well laugh in it's face..BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!

Just now, nixtosanders94 said:

Im gonna just stop responding now because its pointless. Its a freakin message board.  If I get booted I promise you I will recover. I don’t believe I have done anything to merit that but since you seem to be the decorum police maybe I have.  Again, its a message board. Lighten up Francis. 

If you read what I actually said you haven't done anything to merit that.  Nor do I have an issue with you.  I was just pointing out your original post saying you don't go after posters when you have.  And I am about as calm and collected as it gets on this forum.  Our conversation have been 100% cordial in my eyes.

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

•  

Oh geez man. You’re not even a Mod...so, you assume it was a homophobic comment which it wasn’t.  Like you know, he’s a little kid kinda thing but whatever dude. I tell ya what, put me on ignore and if I get in trouble with the Mods then I get in trouble with the Mods and my life will be just as good as it was before I was in trouble with some Mods on a MESSAGE BOARD. 

I would like to say for any Mods that see this or anyone who might have been offended...I like this board. I enjoy this board. I meant no harm with any comment about AU64 sitting in Mikey’s lap. It was not in anyway intended to be a homophobic comment. It was meant in the spirit of 64 being a little kid type deal not homophobically.  

I feel some on here take themselves WAYYYYYYY to seriously but if I step out of line I will acknowledge it and move on.  

1 minute ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Oh geez man. You’re not even a Mod...so, you assume it was a homophobic comment which it wasn’t.  Like you know, he’s a little kid kinda thing but whatever dude. I tell ya what, put me on ignore and if I get in trouble with the Mods then I get in trouble with the Mods and my life will be just as good as it was before I was in trouble with some Mods on a MESSAGE BOARD. 

I don't need to be.  And again, if you read what I say it could absolutely be taken as homophobic.  I don't think you meant for it to, which is why you have to be careful in how you choose your words.  And I'm not going to put you on ignore.  That is childish.  I was only providing constructive criticism.  I have no issue with you and look forward to your future posts.  I was not the one who called you a troll either.  

By the way, I think that was big of you to make the post above.  And thank you for doing that.  Some of us that have friends in that community can be more attentive to those comments than others which is the only reason why it stood out to me.  We can part as friends from this thread, like I said I have no issue with you really.  I think your thumbnail is pretty awesome too.

24 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I would like to say for any Mods that see this or anyone who might have been offended...I like this board. I enjoy this board. I meant no harm with any comment about AU64 sitting in Mikey’s lap. It was not in anyway intended to be a homophobic comment. It was meant in the spirit of 64 being a little kid type deal not homophobically.  

I feel some on here take themselves WAYYYYYYY to seriously but if I step out of line I will acknowledge it and move on.  

Dude, you're fine. Don't bother with that self-righteous, pearl-clutching nonsense. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Dude, you're fine. Don't bother with that self-righteous, pearl-clutching nonsense. 

I would look in the mirror then.  You were a part of the people jumping on JW.

Archived