Has it started?

ToomersStreet

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s Gus. Which means there is no way to be sure. In 2017 we struggled with Mercer, blew a 20 point lead against LSU, then beat UGA and UAT to win the West. Last year we returned Tom Brady’s future backup and a much heralded defense, and finished 3-5 in conference. Right now, I can safely predict we will lose at least 5 games or go into the LSU game 7-0. WDE Anyway🦅🦅🦅 !

59 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Umm...what other major coach has had 6 QBs in a game, runs a dive 17 times, plays a 1 armed QB, runs the same play after a 1st down, pigeon holes his skill players, platoons his offense, has basic passing concepts, limits QB reads, predetermines ZR calls, telegraphs plays by personnel (Barrett swing/Joiner wheel), etc...

Like I said earlier, stubborn, clueless, or blind.

this wins best post of the year award.  you just summed  up the Gus era in one quick statement. 

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Not true and really dumb.

It's one thing to say that every coach has flaws. It's totally different to say that *any* other coach shares Gus's.

4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

It’s Gus. Which means there is no way to be sure. In 2017 we struggled with Mercer, blew a 20 point lead against LSU, then beat UGA and UAT to win the West. Last year we returned Tom Brady’s future backup and a much heralded defense, and finished 3-5 in conference. Right now, I can safely predict we will lose at least 5 games or go into the LSU game 7-0. WDE Anyway🦅🦅🦅 !

I'm in this boat.  Right now there's no receiver to take the top off on the deep ball.  If the receivers can get healthy then *maybe* that opens up the offense a bit more and we win a few more games.  Hard to expect anything other than 8-4 or 7-5 though with Gus though.

9 minutes ago, LeonardAU said:

Right now there's no receiver to take the top off on the deep ball. 

Sorry to piggyback on your post, but I've been very critical of us throwing deep to Schwartz the other night. In hindsight, though, was there value to doing that just to soften up their defense? Did we do that knowing that there was a better-than-average chance of him not catching it?

Asking anyone who cares to opine. 

12 minutes ago, LeonardAU said:

I'm in this boat.  Right now there's no receiver to take the top off on the deep ball.  If the receivers can get healthy then *maybe* that opens up the offense a bit more and we win a few more games.  Hard to expect anything other than 8-4 or 7-5 though with Gus though.

Matthew Hill could be that guy if we gave him a chance.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I think it depends on how bad the losses are...

what I will say is I hope our brass as someone on speed dial with a back up plan. It seems in the past that has never been the case. Rest assured our HC has one. 

If they are smart and want an easy transition, they have this guy. But they aren’t smart, so probably not.

86DB2C78-E08B-45B9-8B54-8B97905144E4.jpeg

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sorry to piggyback on your post, but I've been very critical of us throwing deep to Schwartz the other night. In hindsight, though, was there value to doing that just to soften up their defense? Did we do that knowing that there was a better-than-average chance of him not catching it?

Asking anyone who cares to opine. 

I think it would have helped had it been thrown to someone who didn't have a cast on his hand.  He was open, but a poor throw and playing one-handed gave it very little chance for success.  If that's completed for a TD it probably changes how the first half goes offensively.

25 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Matthew Hill could be that guy if we gave him a chance.

It seems like we start every season with our best talent on the bench, going all the way back to Tuberville.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Chiz has some good will built in. I think Gus has used any he had left to get to 2019. Im not sure he wouldn't get Totted. 

I hope he figures things out and I look foolish by even proposing the question.

He will make you look foolish for thinking he can even figure things out. I know as fans we just feel obligated to hold out hope that things will change but yall gotta let that go. Just ride the season out until he gets kicked out finally. *Dodges tomatoes*

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

If it did happen midseason, that would allow a search to start and have ready by season's end. It would also allow us to get a leg up on other schools that will be looking. Just random thoughts...

My first choice is to win with Gus.

I agree and thats my first choice also, which means we have no choice because he is not going to change a damn thing!. ....the more things change, the more they stay the same.....fans are calling the plays so you know DC's are....we talk "Auburn fast"and have to hurry to get the snap off before the play clock expires.....its "deja vu" all over again, every damn year....what you see and have seen, is all it will ever be with GM

41 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

If they are smart and want an easy transition, they have this guy. But they aren’t smart, so probably not.

86DB2C78-E08B-45B9-8B54-8B97905144E4.jpeg

Maryland looks good. Want to season how they look throughout the season. 

Sadly, I think the Texas A&M game will begin the big slide.  Auburn has had quite a few seasons like this - where an overachieving defense has had to carry the team over a woeful offense.  And eventually they tire out from incessant 3 and outs by the offense, and by the end of the season just get tired of carrying the weight period.  You can probably go back and watch either LSU 2015 or LSU 2017 to see how this game will go.  We either just come out and look inept from the start and get trounced, or we come out and look shockingly good on our first drive and then tank it until mid-way through the fourth quarter against subs when we are already down by 28.

You guys get negative real quick. Didn't see too many posts from a lot of you after beating a top 15 team at a neutral site last week. All the sudden we don't beat an upper-tier AAC team by 80 and everyone has something to say. Anybody have a number on how many SEC teams are 2-0? 

That's only half of the SEC. 

Anybody wanna take a guess on how many of those 7 teams have a win over a top 15 opponent this season? 

2. Auburn and now LSU. 

I'm as frustrated with the offensive line as anyone, but we've got a freshman QB who will only get exponentially better every time he touches the field, we've got a stable full of receivers that we can plug in for injuries, especially with Schwartz returning to full strength soon, and we've got a defense that will rival almost anyone in the country in their ability to stop teams from scoring points.

I vote we chill out for a while

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Maryland looks good. Want to season how they look throughout the season. 

I have to admit. I may be jumping the gun with this guy, but I just have dreams about what someone with his offensive coaching ability could do with our stacked talented offense. And he’s a Saban guy, so he probably knows how to recruit.

1 minute ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

we've got a freshman QB who will only get exponentially better every time he touches the field,

You sure about this? I def believe that the player is good enough to get better and better. But when have you seen our QBs improve as time goes on? I don’t believe I’ve seen it at all.

Consider this: There aren't many things more boring than watching a UAT football game these days. The outcome is certain 99% of the time. Watching an Auburn football game, on the other hand, is a roll of the dice, no matter who they are playing, and no-one can predict the outcome of the game, which makes things both exciting and frequently heart-breaking. The only thing predictable in an Auburn game is the play-calling. Would we really prefer a tiresome certainty over the thrill of uncertainty ? It's an awesome rush to hit the Yo at a craps table, even if it rarely happens.......

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You sure about this? I def believe that the player is good enough to get better and better. But when have you seen our QBs improve as time goes on? I don’t believe I’ve seen it at all.

I am. Nix is a little different. Unlike many other freshman QBs, the game isn't too fast for him. He's not a superstar yet, but he makes pretty good decisions. His ability to "not take a sack" will be very helpful to this offense. 

1 minute ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I am. Nix is a little different. Unlike many other freshman QBs, the game isn't too fast for him. He's not a superstar yet, but he makes pretty good decisions. His ability to "not take a sack" will be very helpful to this offense. 

We are in agreement that Nix is a special talent. I’m just not sure that more time running Gus’s offense will improve him. So far, it seems to do the opposite to every QB that has run it. Maybe this time will be different.

7 minutes ago, Hspoprn said:

Consider this: There aren't many things more boring than watching a UAT football game these days. The outcome is certain 99% of the time. Watching an Auburn football game, on the other hand, is a roll of the dice, no matter who they are playing, and no-one can predict the outcome of the game, which makes things both exciting and frequently heart-breaking. The only thing predictable in an Auburn game is the play-calling. Would we really prefer a tiresome certainty over the thrill of uncertainty ? It's an awesome rush to hit the Yo at a craps table, even if it rarely happens.......

Nothing boring about winning majority of the time. What I will say about Auburn is the apathy I saw in our fan base and even my own dad last weekend. First Auburn game I been to in years and was ready to leave mid third quarter. 

5 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I'm as frustrated with the offensive line as anyone, but we've got a freshman QB who will only get exponentially better every time he touches the field, we've got a stable full of receivers that we can plug in for injuries, especially with Schwartz returning to full strength soon, and we've got a defense that will rival almost anyone in the country in their ability to stop teams from scoring points.

1. Do you really feel like Bo was exponentially- or any- better against Tulane than he was against Oregon?

2. Stable full of receivers that we can plug in for injuries? Is that why we threw the ball to one-handed Schwartz before he returned to full strength? Who replaced Seth Williams after he went out? 

3. How long do you think that defense is going to hold out without an offense that can score? 

4. What about Gus's track record instills such optimism and confidence in you? 

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

We are in agreement that Nix is a special talent. I’m just not sure that more time running Gus’s offense will improve him. So far, it seems to do the opposite to every QB that has run it. Maybe this time will be different.

I'd say Marshall got better. JJ certainly didn't. Sean White, to me stayed pretty much the same while at AU, but had a nice 2016 season, I will say. Stidham seemed to regress a little from 2017-2018 but one could argue his offensive line REALLY regressed from 17-18. He still had some flashy moments and seems to be doing pretty well in the NFL now. I'm thinking Nix will begin to show signs of greatness in the coming weeks if he's the talent I think he is... 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

1. Do you really feel like Bo was exponentially- or any- better against Tulane than he was against Oregon?

2. Stable full of receivers that we can plug in for injuries? Is that why we threw the ball to one-handed Schwartz before he returned to full strength? Who replaced Seth Williams after he went out? 

3. How long do you think that defense is going to hold out without an offense that can score? 

4. What about Gus's track record instills such optimism and confidence in you? 

1.) I don't feel as if he was any worse.

2.) Schwartz has game changing speed. Nothing wrong with taking a shot with him. If Nix doesn't overthrow it just a tad, it drops into his arms and he walks in for the score. 

3.) Think the offense will get better, due to Nix getting better as well as play-calling getting less vanilla as we move into SEC play. 

4.) He's less than 2 years removed from an SEC Western Division Title. We've seen him do it, don't know why I shouldn't be hopeful he could do it again.

2 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

as well as play-calling getting less vanilla as we move into SEC play.

I think this is my favorite thing about the Gus era. There are people that actually believe he's going to open up his playbook as the season progress; that he's sandbagging and staying vanilla in order to not give away anything to our tougher opponents.  That always makes me smile when someone brings it up.  It's like listening to a 5 year old talking about what Santa is bringing him for Christmas

Archived