Has it started?

ToomersStreet

I notice that Bert is working for Belichick now.

That means in another year or two he'll be a freakin' genious and ready to take the reigns of our beloved Tigers.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

My problem is I have less faith in our ability to hire than most of you do in Gus's abilities.

Before ADG I would've agreed. With him I have a lot more confidence.

17 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I don’t begrudge someone being positive but they shouldn’t begrudge those of us who are not optimistic based on past history.  

JW Shewmake...sounds like he’s a Vanderbilt or a Rockefeller or something...

JD Nixtosanders94

Am I picking up some sarcasm from you here? Or maybe its just me...lol

16 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I’m outta likes but LMAO!

16 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 

13 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

755D4830-3357-496A-90E8-B677F1EF9686.jpeg

Do you see what is wrong with the first post quoted?  You first say you don't begrudge someone going positive and then you proceed to do just that, or support others who are jumping on others.  Just something I wanted to make you aware of.

I don’t know one single AU fan that thinks they are giving advice to our team. Not one. If there is someone on this sight that believes that then they are wrong.  Nothing said on this site or anywhere else will have any effect on the team. Nothing. This is a message board. For discussion, debate, venting, info etc.  If players come here and are affected by something one of us goobs says then we have bigger issues.  If it affects recruiting more than losing 4-5 games a year then maybe we should just shut down all message boards. 

Just as an FYI there are players who do read these comments and there are parents of those players on here.  What people say does affect them.  We had a poster banned from the forum last week because of what he was saying to one of the mothers of the players, who we all respect on here.  Everyone is human.  Some people are better than others at blocking out the noise, others are not.  You never know what words can do to someone.

All this thread has turned into is hate on posters who are choosing to not overreact or to stay positive when we are 2-0.  Yeah we choose to stay positive, but that does not mean you need to make fun of us for doing so.  Share your opinion on why you are not pleased, but don't jump on someone who is looking at the positives.

22 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

All this thread has turned into is hate on posters who are choosing to not overreact or to stay positive when we are 2-0.  Yeah we choose to stay positive, but that does not mean you need to make fun of us for doing so.  Share your opinion on why you are not pleased, but don't jump on someone who is looking at the positives.

The problem is that the “positives” that got us to 2-0, are the same positives that will get us to 7-6

My personal problem is that I've consistently tried to be positive and optimistic about a Gus lead team and it has routinely set me up for disappointment and frustration. Our OL and lack of rotation at RB has cost this team so much. Realistically with the defense we had and Jarrett Stidham at quarterback we should have won the SEC and had a real shot at the NCCG. 

It has been half of a decade and we've yet to appear in the College Football Playoff. We deserve better.

53 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Do you see what is wrong with the first post quoted?  You first say you don't begrudge someone going positive and then you proceed to do just that, or support others who are jumping on others.  Just something I wanted to make you aware of.

Agree I am not big on piling on one or two posters just because. With that being said, this particular poster I believe truly is a troll account. Rarely posts and rarely responds, but when he/she does it is usually that same message.

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

I notice that Bert is working for Belichick now.

That means in another year or two he'll be a freakin' genious and ready to take the reigns of our beloved Tigers.

He'll be the next Charlie Weiss...

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Before ADG I would've agreed. With him I have a lot more confidence.

Greene seems like a sharp guy who knows what he's doing, but until he actually hires a coach, there's some uncertainty about his capability.  Also, it's not clear to me his ability to deal with the string-pullers behind the scenes. 

4 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Greene seems like a sharp guy who knows what he's doing, but until he actually hires a coach, there's some uncertainty about his capability.  Also, it's not clear to me his ability to deal with the string-pullers behind the scenes. 

Fair

44 minutes ago, DAG said:

Agree I am not big on piling on one or two posters just because. With that being said, this particular poster I believe truly is a troll account. Rarely posts and rarely responds, but when he/she does it is usually that same message.

If you are talking about who I think you are, I can assure you he is not a troll  I have known him for over twenty years.  He is a good guy, both he and his wife are AU alums and he is as orange and blue as they come.

Nope, not a troll.

49 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I have no connections to anyone or anything that matters at AU, but to your point, it seems that all ADs and coaches are ultimately only as successful as the AU PTB allow them to be. 

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

ultimately only as successful as the AU PTB allow them to be. 

Seems like the same for the coaches too..

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Seems like the same for the coaches too..

Have some coffee bro!

37 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

it seems that all ADs and coaches are ultimately only

Just messing with ya. As with every organization, sh** rolls downhill. Only difference is who's at the top of the hill. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Have some coffee bro!

Just messing with ya. As with every organization, sh** rolls downhill. Only difference is who's at the top of the hill. 

*whoosh* sorry hahahahah

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I will add; and it gains speed as it progresses downhill.  If you’re at the bottom, watch out.

26 minutes ago, keesler said:

Game #2 Statistical Evaluation (Tulane Game)

Offensive Report Card

01) Avg 7-yards per play on 1st down: [3.30] fail
02) Convert at least 50% of 3rd downs:  [52.6%] pass
03) Avg at least 6.0 yards per rush:  [3.8] fail
04) Score on at least 1/2 of possessions:  [28.6%] fail
05) Keep 3 and out series under 25.0%:  [35.7%] fail
06) Average 9.0 yards per pass attempt: [5.59] fail
07) Score at least 80% inside red zone:  [75.0%] fail
08) TD red zone above 75%:  [50.0%] fail
09) Avg at least 40-yards per possession:  [27.1] fail
10) 50% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [39.0%] fail
11) TD / Turnover ratio above 3.0:  [3/2] fail
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 13 snaps:  [27.3] fail
13) At least 10 impact plays:  [5] fail
14) At least 3 big plays:  [2] fail
15) Pass rating of at least 145.0:  [107.3] fail
16) Yards to Point Ratio of 12.0 or under: [15.8] fail 

Score: 1 of 16 (6.2%) FAIL

Mikey, IS THIS ^^^ not justification for "breaking out the tired old complaints" from the last several years on an AU football message board?

From my view, it looks look Gus sold us a bag of garbage in the preseason.  He said he knows a program must evolve and change things up, he said he saw the play-calling deficiencies and HE was taking over.  He said he recognizes that he has to get creative in the scheming and the offensive game plan and tailor his scheme to the talents of his roster.  WTH?

I can't speak for anyone else, so I will just give my point of view.  I think where I can possibly see a disconnect is if you would also have to look at the Oregon game stats:

Offensive Report Card

01) Avg 6-yards per play on 1st down: [6.37] pass
02) Convert at least 40% of 3rd downs: [41.2%] pass
03) Avg at least 4.5 yards per rush: [4.79] pass
04) Score on at least 1/3 of possessions: [35.7%] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series under 33%: [35.7%] fail
06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: [5.53 yds] fail
07) Score at least 75% inside red zone: [80.0%] pass
08) TD red zone above 60%: [40.0%] fail
09) Avg at least 30-yards per possession: [27.3 yds] fail
10) 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives: [41.3%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6: [3 / 2] fail
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 17 snaps: [25.0] fail
13) At least 8 impact plays: (8) pass
14) At least 2 big plays: (3) pass
15) Pass rating of at least 126.3: [95.2] fail
16) Yards to Point Ratio of 17.0 or under: [14.2] pass

Score: 9 of 16 (56.2%) PASS

I apologize for the bold in this part.  It won't let me get out of it for some reason.  Now why would this matter?  Different game right?  Well, if you recall in my thread from yesterday Gus recycled all of his plays from this Oregon game where we did receive a passing grade.  Tulane probably knew as a cupcake game Auburn would not show any new plays and just use the Oregon plays.  So they had tape on how to defend.  I am not excusing our poor play.  Against a cupcake team, all of our plays should work based on talent alone.  If I were Kent State I would only prepare for these plays as well.  Texas A&M I would not follow this mindset.  Expect us to open the book up again.  Football lies in the competitive advantages and where you can get them.  It is the same reasoning behind why coaches do not name starters until the last minute or do not give injury updates, even if they are allowed to do so.  Good hearing from you again.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

I can't speak for anyone else, so I will just give my point of view.  I think where I can possibly see a disconnect is if you would also have to look at the Oregon game stats:

Offensive Report Card

I apologize for the bold in this part.  It won't let me get out of it for some reason.  Now why would this matter?  Different game right?  Well, if you recall in my thread from yesterday Gus recycled all of his plays from this Oregon game where we did receive a passing grade.  Tulane probably knew as a cupcake game Auburn would not show any new plays and just use the Oregon plays.  So they had tape on how to defend.  I am not excusing our poor play.  Against a cupcake team, all of our plays should work based on talent alone.  If I were Kent State I would only prepare for these plays as well.  Texas A&M I would not follow this mindset.  Expect us to open the book up again.  Football lies in the competitive advantages and where you can get them.  It is the same reasoning behind why coaches do not name starters until the last minute or do not give injury updates, even if they are allowed to do so.

I honestly do think Gus is sandbagging some right now, at least I hope that's what he's doing.  I'm sure he's holding back the playbook.  My worry is if these players have a hard time mastering what they're being asked to do right now, how will Gus trust them to execute the harder, more tactical plays?

We played sloppy (3 fumbles), and lacked some of the basic fundamental skills on oline.  They showed weakness vs smaller players and that does not sit well for me.  IMHO, I hope throws the oline positions up for grabs this week in practice and let those young players duke it out with this senior laden linemen.  That line needs a huge dose of nastiness, guys need to hit the field with bad intentions and physically ready to dominate the man across from them.  I'd also like to see some discipline dished out and starters lose some PT for playing carelessly.  Maybe that will get their attention and they can get their head in the game and focus on doing their jobs.

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Offensive Report Card

I apologize for the bold in this part.  It won't let me get out of it for some reason.  Now why would this matter?  Different game right?  Well, if you recall in my thread from yesterday Gus recycled all of his plays from this Oregon game where we did receive a passing grade.  Tulane probably knew as a cupcake game Auburn would not show any new plays and just use the Oregon plays.  So they had tape on how to defend.  I am not excusing our poor play.  Against a cupcake team, all of our plays should work based on talent alone.  If I were Kent State I would only prepare for these plays as well.  Texas A&M I would not follow this mindset.  Expect us to open the book up again.  Football lies in the competitive advantages and where you can get them.  It is the same reasoning behind why coaches do not name starters until the last minute or do not give injury updates, even if they are allowed to do so.

The thing is, and I have to mention that I admire your optimism,  if it were just playcalling alone the conversation might be different. Unfortunately...it's not JUST that. Lots of these guys just simply aren't being prepared to play at the level needed to even run vanilla plays. That's not an opinion,  that's a documented fact as seen in the game. Now one argument may be, well Gus doesn't coach that position group. True, but Gus does repeatedly make the hires of the coaches that for the past few years their groups have been weaknesses of the team. He is also directly responsible for the recruiting of the players to fill those deficiencies,  and to say that's lacking is an understatement beyond words. 

I guess the push back I would have for anyone freaking out is:  at this point, how are we different than LSU? Everyone is enamored with their shiny new offense, but they get a pass for their defense looking like a hot mess. If we did Stat's breakdown, here's the Texas game for LSU:

Defensive Report Card:

01) Avg under 5-yards per play on 1st down: [5.02] fail
02) Convert below 30% of 3rd downs:  [53.3%] fail
03) Avg at least 3.0 yards per rush or less:  [3.3] fail
04) Score  1/4 of possessions or below:  [54.5%] fail
05) Keep 3 and out series above 40.0%:  [18.1%] fail 
06) Average below 6.5 yards per pass attempt: [8.5] fail
07) Score below 65% inside red zone:  [60%] pass
08) TD red zone below 50.0%:  [60%] fail
09) Avg under 20-yards per possession:  [47.7] fail
10) 30.0% or less of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [68.6%] fail
11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.0:  [5/0] fail
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 35 snaps:  [17.2] fail
13) Less than 6 impact plays:  [12] fail
14) No more than 1 big plays allowed: [3] fail
15) Pass rating below 115.0:  [165.7] fail
16) Yards to Point Ratio of 25.0 or higher: [19.9] fail

Score: 1 of 16 (6.3%) FAIL

I say all that not to say LSU sucks or Auburn has no issues. It's just that Auburn fans tend to ignore the fact that we have a dominant side of the ball, and in my view, we only look at the warts while heaping praise on equally warty teams/coaches. Auburn absolutely has to get better on offense to be a threat to UGA and Bama, but that puts us in good company because so does A&M and so does LSU. I'm not a Gus apologist. He's infuriating, and I don't have a lot of confidence in him.

That said, we're right in the mix with LSU and A&M as the next best teams in the conference, and just like them, if we improve our weak point, we'll be a threat to win the SEC. If we don't, we aren't a threat. It really is that simple. But the folks on here talking about us going 6-6 or Ole Miss being a toss up game, good grief. I don't what you're watching. Truly. 

2 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I guess the push back I would have for anyone freaking out is:  at this point, how are we different than LSU? Everyone is enamored with their shiny new offense, but they get a pass for their defense looking like a hot mess. If we did Stat's breakdown, here's the Texas game for LSU:

Defensive Report Card:

I say all that not to say LSU sucks or Auburn has no issues. It's just that Auburn fans tend to ignore the fact that we have a dominant side of the ball, and in my view, we only look at the warts while heaping praise on equally warty teams/coaches. Auburn absolutely has to get better on offense to be a threat to UGA and Bama, but that puts us in good company because so does A&M and so does LSU. I'm not a Gus apologist. He's infuriating, and I don't have a lot of confidence in him.

That said, we're right in the mix with LSU and A&M as the next best teams in the conference, and just like them, if we improve our weak point, we'll be a threat to win the SEC. If we don't, we aren't a threat. It really is that simple. But the folks on here talking about us going 6-6 or Ole Miss being a toss up game, good grief. I don't what you're watching. Truly. 

A&M sure, but I don’t know how anyone can objectively watch LSU and say we are right them with them. Yes their defense gave up quite a bit of point but they were playing a pretty good Texas team who will once again challenge for the big 12 championship. Not to mention they absolutely blew out the team from their warm up game. So yeah definitely not in agreement with that one .

2 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

The thing is, and I have to mention that I admire your optimism,  if it were just playcalling alone the conversation might be different. Unfortunately...it's not JUST that. Lots of these guys just simply aren't being prepared to play at the level needed to even run vanilla plays. That's not an opinion,  that's a documented fact as seen in the game. Now one argument may be, well Gus doesn't coach that position group. True, but Gus does repeatedly make the hires of the coaches that for the past few years their groups have been weaknesses of the team. He is also directly responsible for the recruiting of the players to fill those deficiencies,  and to say that's lacking is an understatement beyond words. 

^^THIS^^

Play calling has been bland, predictable, and vanilla.  And I'm ok with that early in the season as Gus may not want to show his cards too early.   

But if anything, these guys should know this vanilla stuff like the back of their hand by now.  They've been raised on these very limited, elementary schemes for a while and the young guys have had spring, summer and through fall camp.  

The line has +100 starts together, they've lived together, pumped iron, attended skull sessions and been on the field together for years now.  It's not like they've had to adjust and grow into a whole new offense like LSU players have done.

The guys should be in lock step with this offense and executing it to near perfection, but they're not. :sad2:

We played an Oregon offense that is going to score a million points this year, and we handled them. Period. There is no universe in which what just happened to LSU would ever happen to us. None. 

That's kind of my point. We go play a team that's a Top 8-15 range team, and after the first quarter, they can't move the ball on us. LSU goes to play a Top 8-15 range team and can't get a stop to save their mother's life. But all an Auburn fan sees is a shiny offense because it's what we lack. 

LSU has a liability of a defense right now. Auburn has a liability of an offense right now. Six in one hand, half dozen in the other.

1 minute ago, mcgufcm said:

Defensive Report Card:

I think I agree with the overall point you are making here, but I also think that despite the poor play by LSU on the defensive side of the ball, they looked like a top 3 team. They will need to improve just like the rest of us, but I don't think we are in the same shape as LSU. Just my opinion. 

Archived