Null



Sign in to follow this  
NorthGATiger

My OL opinion

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

It just doesn’t make sense to not run the best possible offense for a freshman qb to build confidence off of going forward.  I understand the optimism and hope.  You put your QB in the best possible position to be successful period.   I also don’t believe the vanilla to surprise later on theory.  For almost a decade we have consistently not known our offensive identity to start the season because of failure in the off season by offensive coaching.

How much of what Gus does makes sense to anyone but him?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

How much of what Gus does makes sense to anyone but him?

Agree, like eating at Waffle House at night, sober.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Warbird82 said:

But we're not having any holding calls on the left tackle...so its a wash.  😉

Hah!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

The problem with the OL is boxed in with the problems with this offense.  Our OL is light by todays standards.  Gus wants them that way because he wants them agile.  There lies the problem.  If you are going to run plays inside the tackles over and over and over again then you are asking your OL to do something that they physically can't do.

If Gus or Auburn fans think we should just be able to line up and move a Tulane off of the ball then we are lacking the correct tools and it is not going to happen.  This is why we have had to resort to using the Wildcat to get a 1st down or Touchdown in any type of short yardage situation.  These guys might pull and seal the edge for you but they are not going to blow you off the ball.  Gus has asked them for two straight weeks to blow teams off the ball by running between the tackles.  That is not what these guys are built for.  

Fans, including myself, want an OL that can line up and blow inferior teams off of the ball and assert themselves and take over a game.  This will not happen under Gus with the type of player he is looking for.  When we play Texas A&M and the smoke and mirrors starts with this offense then you will see what many think is a much improved OL.  They will be improved because of the plays that Gus is calling.  We still will have trouble with short yardage situations just like always but we will be asking the OL to quickly get to the next level and seal the edges and they will look better.

Bottom line is our 299-305 pound OL is not going to move anyone off the ball in order to look like the dominating veteran OL we all want to see and that we have been told we have all offseason.  They won't shine until the smoke and mirrors start in two weeks and even then they will struggle mightily on short yardage.

You forgot about the part where we look good against the crap teams then get stonewalled again when we play  Uga, LSU, and Bama....basically good defenses. It's a pattern that has repeated itself so many times under Gus you have to laugh to keep from going Michael Douglass Falling Down on everyone. It's like when I was a kid and had to watch A Christmas Story. The first few times it was good, but by the umpteenth time I was forced to watch it, waterboarding would have been a preferred activity. Thus is watching a Gus offense. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fasttimes said:

where is the purdue play calling? or was purdue just that bad it made us look that good?

Purdue's defense was terrible and our QB. HB and WRs were a lot better.

Edited by dyehardfanAU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

The problem with the OL is boxed in with the problems with this offense.  Our OL is light by todays standards.  Gus wants them that way because he wants them agile.  There lies the problem.  If you are going to run plays inside the tackles over and over and over again then you are asking your OL to do something that they physically can't do.

If Gus or Auburn fans think we should just be able to line up and move a Tulane off of the ball then we are lacking the correct tools and it is not going to happen.  This is why we have had to resort to using the Wildcat to get a 1st down or Touchdown in any type of short yardage situation.  These guys might pull and seal the edge for you but they are not going to blow you off the ball.  Gus has asked them for two straight weeks to blow teams off the ball by running between the tackles.  That is not what these guys are built for.  

Fans, including myself, want an OL that can line up and blow inferior teams off of the ball and assert themselves and take over a game.  This will not happen under Gus with the type of player he is looking for.  When we play Texas A&M and the smoke and mirrors starts with this offense then you will see what many think is a much improved OL.  They will be improved because of the plays that Gus is calling.  We still will have trouble with short yardage situations just like always but we will be asking the OL to quickly get to the next level and seal the edges and they will look better.

Bottom line is our 299-305 pound OL is not going to move anyone off the ball in order to look like the dominating veteran OL we all want to see and that we have been told we have all offseason.  They won't shine until the smoke and mirrors start in two weeks and even then they will struggle mightily on short yardage.

It is not that we are too small, the primary problem is that we are weak in the lower body where you get leg drive and that lower body strength is more important now that we went back to a gap blocking scheme.  This is a failure of our strength & conditioning program.  In addition, coaching techniques are lacking.  OL in pass blocking are getting beat inside (a real no no).  May also be a lack of talent also.  Some members say that the recruiting suffered because we ran a blocking scheme that is not used in the NFL so our OL was not covered in the draft well welcome to real world we are back to running the Gap scheme which is the scheme not employed in the NFL.  What do you think our chances of upgrading our line in future recruiting efforts if those guys are correct about our ability to recruit OL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Carnell said:

It is not that we are too small, the primary problem is that we are weak in the lower body where you get leg drive and that lower body strength is more important now that we went back to a gap blocking scheme.  This is a failure of our strength & conditioning program.  In addition, coaching techniques are lacking.  OL in pass blocking are getting beat inside (a real no no).  May also be a lack of talent also.  Some members say that the recruiting suffered because we ran a blocking scheme that is not used in the NFL so our OL was not covered in the draft well welcome to real world we are back to running the Gap scheme which is the scheme not employed in the NFL.  What do you think our chances of upgrading our line in future recruiting efforts if those guys are correct about our ability to recruit OL.

Interesting point about the strength and conditioning, and that’s a point I’ve been thinking about. It seems like the rest of our roster is in really good condition and strength. But then you look at our line and see certain guys getting manhandled every week due to lack of lower body strength, etc. I know it has been discussed extensively in this thread and others but our guys have simply not been able to get any push due to these failures of the staff and unfortunately I do not see that improving as we play teams with more talent and depth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

Agreed. Same with RB. Gus has recruited guys that play well in space. But go look at our splits, we’re bunched together. Spread out! If all you recruit is faat RBs that fine. But use them the way theyre intended to be used. 

For us to be successful on offense we HAVE to throw the ball to run the ball. We’ve got to hit crosses, outs, and some quick passes. Force the D into a zone coverage- that gives the RBs more space and our WRs more room to run AND make blocks. 

I’m guessing this is what you meant 😉

158E47AA-3EE4-43EB-8C82-F8331A4DAF2F.jpeg

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is some interesting data that I found concerning OL size in the top 25 teams. We did not make the top 25 list for what it is worth:

Here is the list of the top 25 size wise:

1-Minnesota, 6’6″ 337 lbs.
2-Mississippi State, 6’4.8″ 332 lbs.
3-Georgia, 6’4.8″ 330
4-Clemson, 6’3.8″ 325
5-Missouri, 6’5.6″ 324 lbs.
6-Michigan, 6’4.8″ 323.8 lbs.
7-Indiana, 6’4.8″ 323.6 lbs.
8-LSU, 6’4.4″ 323 lbs.
9-Alabama, 6’5321.6 lbs.
10-Oklahoma, 6’4.8″ 321
11-San Diego State, 6’4.6″ 321 lbs.
12-Penn State, 6’4.6″ 319.6
13-Tennessee, 6’4.8″ 319.2
14-Oregon, 6’4.4″ 318.6
15-Arizona State, 6’4.8″ 317.8
16-Kentucky, 6’5.2″ 317.4
17-Marshall, 6’4.6″ 315.8 lbs.
18-Louisville, 6’3.8″ 315.2 lbs.
19-UTSA, 6’4.8″ 315 lbs.
20-Kansas, 6’5″ 314.6
21-Miami, 6’4.2″ 314.4
22-Arkansas State, 6’4″ 314.4
23-Texas Tech, 6’5.4″ 314
24-North Carolina, 6’5″ 314 lbs.
25-UNLV, 6’3.2″ 314 lbs.

Here is the list of conferences size wise:

SEC, 6’4.8″ 315.7 lbs.
Big Ten, 6’4.6″ 310.7 lbs.
Big 12, 6’4.8″ 309.5 lbs.
ACC, 6’4.3″ 308.9 lbs.
PAC-12, 6’4.5″ 307.3 lbs.
Independent, 6’4.8″ 304.1 lbs.
Mountain West, 6’4.2″ 303.6 lbs.
CUSA, 6’3.6″ 303 lbs.
MAC, 6’5.1″ 301.8 lbs.
Sun Belt, 6’3.6″ 301.6 lbs.
AAC, 6’4.2″ 300 lbs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

How much of what Gus does makes sense to anyone but him?

Pruitt certainly understands it...

  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Pruitt certainly understands it...

His comment today referring his program to the Titanic was the weirdest thing I have heard from a coach not named Leach.  

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the biggest problem is Gus doesn’t know how to creatively use the outside and we’re just not going to be good in the middle at any point this season. Joey and buck sweep read is an obvious solution but even with Bo, just have more rub passes, and things over the middle to force the LBs to respect that. They can basically ride the DTs with almost every pass goin on the edges. You saw how wide the **** open that TD to Will was? That could happen every game, I’m sure of it. And that wasn’t even directly over the middle, it was like riding the line to the left side. 

Anyway, the interior OL is a five letter word that rhymes with crash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fasttimes said:

where is the purdue play calling? or was purdue just that bad it made us look that good?

He’s running pretty similar plays to that game, they just gave a 10 yard cushion (by that I mean they couldn’t cover anyone). Running game didn’t really do much in that game anyway. Also Purdue was very banged up and couldn’t apply line pressure like Tulane did. You can literally explode our offense if you can just overload the interior 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I think they are struggling because they simply are not talented enough.  I am not questioning effort at all.  

I think you are exactly right.  Our OL is not capable of being great.  The talent/size/whatever just isn't there.  You can't draw blood from a turnip.

That's why I think the hate-mongering of Gustav's play calling is completely misguided.  What the hell can Gus do about play calling when the OL gets dominated on every play?

After the Oregon game last week, I browsed their fan forums just to see what they had to say.  It was unanimous vitriol of "play calling got us beat in the 2nd half".  But hell no, it wasn't their play calling.  It was our defensive adjustments that negated their game plan.

If (a big if) our OL improves, play calling will magically fix itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

 

If (a big if) our OL improves, play calling will magically fix itself.

how does an all senior OL improve?  Ive come to terms with what we see is what we got. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

how does an all senior OL improve?  

They graduate...

  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

The problem with the OL is boxed in with the problems with this offense.  Our OL is light by todays standards.  Gus wants them that way because he wants them agile.  There lies the problem.  If you are going to run plays inside the tackles over and over and over again then you are asking your OL to do something that they physically can't do.

If Gus or Auburn fans think we should just be able to line up and move a Tulane off of the ball then we are lacking the correct tools and it is not going to happen.  This is why we have had to resort to using the Wildcat to get a 1st down or Touchdown in any type of short yardage situation.  These guys might pull and seal the edge for you but they are not going to blow you off the ball.  Gus has asked them for two straight weeks to blow teams off the ball by running between the tackles.  That is not what these guys are built for.  

Fans, including myself, want an OL that can line up and blow inferior teams off of the ball and assert themselves and take over a game.  This will not happen under Gus with the type of player he is looking for.  When we play Texas A&M and the smoke and mirrors starts with this offense then you will see what many think is a much improved OL.  They will be improved because of the plays that Gus is calling.  We still will have trouble with short yardage situations just like always but we will be asking the OL to quickly get to the next level and seal the edges and they will look better.

Bottom line is our 299-305 pound OL is not going to move anyone off the ball in order to look like the dominating veteran OL we all want to see and that we have been told we have all offseason.  They won't shine until the smoke and mirrors start in two weeks and even then they will struggle mightily on short yardage.

My only comment on this...., they just are not that talented. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have we considered that maybe the oline isn’t that talented, or perhaps they don’t like physicality, or both? Perhaps we don’t place a premium on recruiting oline? Perhaps there is a belief that our offensive system isn’t going to prepare recruits best for the NFL, especially oline players? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The oline is soft . We need a line that wants blood and wants to knock the hell out of people. . This is weight room and coaching related 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think the biggest problem is Gus doesn’t know how to creatively use the outside and we’re just not going to be good in the middle at any point this season. Joey and buck sweep read is an obvious solution but even with Bo, just have more rub passes, and things over the middle to force the LBs to respect that. They can basically ride the DTs with almost every pass goin on the edges. You saw how wide the **** open that TD to Will was? That could happen every game, I’m sure of it. And that wasn’t even directly over the middle, it was like riding the line to the left side. 

Anyway, the interior OL is a five letter word that rhymes with crash

On that same play he had another guy opposite side of the field wide open on what looked like a seem IIRC. I also saw on that one pass to Hastings on a lil 7-8 yard out on the sideline, we had JSS Breaking Open across THE MIDDLE but Bo never saw him. Play worked out but would have been a bigger gain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Have we considered that maybe the oline isn’t that talented, or perhaps they don’t like physicality, or both?

@sevenlee36 don't know about the physicality part but it has been posted from reliable people that JB feels this is the least talented OL he's had at a P5 school.

4 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Perhaps we don’t place a premium on recruiting oline?

There is a premium on it. Problem has been Gus has been too picky on the OL he was willing to take in previous classes & when we missed on plan As we didn't have plan Bs or Cs to go to often times til it was too late because Gus pit all his eggs in the plan As' baskets.

4 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Perhaps there is a belief that our offensive system isn’t going to prepare recruits best for the NFL, especially oline players?

Not sure about that one way or another but a known reason we have missed on bigger targets is JB isn't a good recruiting closer. Last year Garner, T-Will, & Horton handed Webb, Wanya Morris, & Will Putnam respectively to JB for him to close it out with AU in the lead but we didn't hold on to land them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of the problem was missing on some of our As as well, right? I mean, I think everyone expected Calvin Ashley to be at fixture at OT for us when he signed. I think a lot of folks thought Trox in his third year would be a starter. One guy bailed (because he couldn’t hack it); the other guy is hurt. At a position we’ve undersigned, missing two of the three most highly touted players we’ve signed in the last four years leaves a void. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i guess i might suit up and play some oline for us. i just hope my depends do not show through my pants. and then there is that darn drug test...........

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I think you are exactly right.  Our OL is not capable of being great.  The talent/size/whatever just isn't there.  You can't draw blood from a turnip.

That's why I think the hate-mongering of Gustav's play calling is completely misguided.  What the hell can Gus do about play calling when the OL gets dominated on every play?

After the Oregon game last week, I browsed their fan forums just to see what they had to say.  It was unanimous vitriol of "play calling got us beat in the 2nd half".  But hell no, it wasn't their play calling.  It was our defensive adjustments that negated their game plan.

If (a big if) our OL improves, play calling will magically fix itself.

So in regards to the play calling being misguided due to lack of talent size whatever at O-Line, there are ways to scheme around it. Play to your strengths. Quick routes, slants, screens, etc. But when you line up with a weaker OL and try to run up the middle against a stacked box as it is you are playing against a stacked deck. I am going to withhold judgement on play calling and OL talent or lack thereof until after SEC play starts in 2 weeks. Hope to see us dominate both sides this weekend as we should. 

 

I agree that Oregon got beat by our adjustments. I saw on the Oregon boards the same type of comments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this