Things I Think I Saw: AU vs Tulane

JMR

There were clearly signs of Bo already not trusting his o-line and rushing throws.  

Agree with you on the right handed problem and the lack of any point in pass calling offense.

thanks for the post, as usual.

• RunInRed featured and pinned this topic

Great review, Coach. I always learn a lot from these. Most of us realize that this is not the most talented group of o linemen we've had. But with 5 5th year seniors, it is disappointing to see so many breakdowns in assignments, and confusions amongst the line. It’s one thing to be beat by a bigger, stronger opponent, but 5th year seniors should have minimal mental errors. Army was physically outmatched vs Michigan Saturday, but made up for it with technique, hustle, and grit. I hope our line starts doing the same. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JMR said: There does not appear to be any kind of rhythm or flow, and not much of one route or pattern setting up another.

I'm glad to see you post about this.   When I coached, we had four reasons for running certain plays. 

What you do best. 

What the defense doesn't do   well. 

A play that sets up another play. 

A play set up by a previous play. 

Gus seems to just close his eyes and put his finger on his play card and calls that play.  No rhythm at all in his play calling. 

16 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I'm glad to see you post about this.   When I coached, we had four reasons for running certain plays. 

What you do best. 

What the defense doesn't do   well. 

A play that sets up another play. 

A play set up by a previous play. 

Gus seems to just close his eyes and put his finger on his play card and calls that play.  No rhythm at all in his play calling. 

I get what you are saying, but often during the Tulane game it reminded me of the scene from Necessary Roughness where they call the same play 3 times in a row.  The players are like "We just ran that" and QB is like "They haven't seen it yet".  Sometimes I think Gus thinks this way.  Like that is not the result the play was supposed to have so they didn't really see the play so let's try it again.

• Like 1

First I would like to say I would rather see the team still improving at this point of the year rather than maxed out already. So not being a 100% is ok. Some of the passpro problem is on Bo and if you listened to his remarks he points it out. The QB calls the protection along with the center but the QB has a much better view. No will get better I have no doubt. But even though he leaves a little early he is making great effort not to have negative plays getting no sacks or interceptions this week. Biggest problem in offense was fumbles. They will cost you down the road. I like the fact they made changes with pulling two guards. Maybe small but at least it shows a willingness to make changes that I didn’t see before . Defense may be the best I’ve seen at AU across the board. Special teams definitely need work especially punt coverage. But need to remember Oregon is probably a top 10’team and Tulane a top 30 team . I think if no major injuries we will be ready to make a run come November. Just my thought. Thanks coach as usual good info.

• Like 3

• WarTiger changed the title to Things I Think I Saw: AU vs Tulane

We just came off a huge win over a very good Oregon team a let down is often the case after a big win and in my honest opinion that is just what the Tulane game was.  Conference play starts in 2 weeks and we will see if we are any good or not against the Aggies. War Eagle 

• Like 1

I love this thread and look forward to it each week. JMR, and Big Bird know their stuff. One thing I know I saw, was the same mess from Gustav that we have seen the past few seasons. I am so tired of this mess. The defense, at least, keeps it interesting.

• Like 1

The one thing I have noticed these first 2 games is that Gus is calling a lot of pass plays, even on 1st down. This is very different from what he normally does with his repeated runs up the gut. Don't get me wrong, those runs are still happening and the pass plays that are being called aren't that great but I believe Gus is trying to open up the run game by using the passing game. This may be because of how the OL is performing. I will say I did see several passes in the middle of the field this game and a lot of those were dropped by the intended targets. 

Bo has to be more accurate with the ball. I believe he can make all of the throws but he has to settle down a bit and get them lower. He sailed a few that could have been caught for good gains.

WRs have to catch the ball if it hits their hands.

OL needs more push, maybe time for some back ups to get some live reps.

McFU said, "Gus is calling a lot of pass plays, even on 1st down. ... This may be because of how the OL is performing." 

Tulane was stacking the box with 7 or 8 defenders. Our O line was providing fair pass coverage but not much push on run plays, especially against that nose tackle.

Edited by TigerEyez13

I do not like to bash our coaches. I try to be patient and try and understand the reasoning behind playcalls. That said I played football growing up, defensive end/tackle to be exact. Auburn's offense is incredibly frustrating to watch. I, like a lot of you, feel there is zero rythem to the calls. I don't see any type of play calling used to set up other plays later on or even from one play to the next. It looks like an inefficient high school offense most of the time. I really hope that we see some steps forward in the offense as a whole or I am afraid we are going to be beaten up in SEC play this year. This defense and some players on offense do not deserve that type of a season.

• Thanks 1

Coach...I raised this ? last week and didn't receive a response....so I pose it again concerning our OL....is it a lack of skill or a lack of coaching from our offensive line coach????

If this year is the best we have for a line, just what do we have for next year??? We lose 5 offensive lineman and majority of our defensive line....

I echo the above remarks, appreciate your insight and look forward to it every week...thanks and WDE...

8 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

Coach...I raised this ? last week and didn't receive a response....so I pose it again concerning our OL....is it a lack of skill or a lack of coaching from our offensive line coach????

If this year is the best we have for a line, just what do we have for next year??? We lose 5 offensive lineman and majority of our defensive line....

I echo the above remarks, appreciate your insight and look forward to it every week...thanks and WDE...

Just an opinion, of course, but I think we have "average" talent on the OL. We are (at least in the run game) playing "below average" (for the SEC) right now. I have no desire to bash anyone, but I'd say the answer to your question is pretty obvious. I thought last year's OL play would likely result in a new OL coach, even though we played pretty well late in the season. Apparently Gus believes JB is doing a good job. I don't get a vote, but if I did, I'd be a "nay".

• Like 2

@JMR thanks for the post.  I know in your podcast you said the hurricane missed you down in Florida so I am glad everything turned out okay.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, auburnphan said:

There were clearly signs of Bo already not trusting his o-line and rushing throws.  

Agreed, it can be difficult when there is consistent pressure from the A gap

11 hours ago, War Ables said:

I do not like to bash our coaches. I try to be patient and try and understand the reasoning behind playcalls. That said I played football growing up, defensive end/tackle to be exact. Auburn's offense is incredibly frustrating to watch. I, like a lot of you, feel there is zero rythem to the calls. I don't see any type of play calling used to set up other plays later on or even from one play to the next. It looks like an inefficient high school offense most of the time. I really hope that we see some steps forward in the offense as a whole or I am afraid we are going to be beaten up in SEC play this year. This defense and some players on offense do not deserve that type of a season.

Thanks.

Welcome home.

Post often.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

We just came off a huge win over a very good Oregon team a let down is often the case after a big win and in my honest opinion that is just what the Tulane game was.  Conference play starts in 2 weeks and we will see if we are any good or not against the Aggies. War Eagle 

To be honest I don’t think it was a let down. Tulane made a good decision to load the box against a freshman QB. Give them credit. Bo tried to throw out of the situation but him and his receivers ( not named Hastings and Stove) weren’t on the same page. They will get better but expect folks early on to load the box. And I don’t care who you are when a defense is willing to put 8 or 9 guys in the box. They are going to usually stop you. You have to have another weapon to make them pay for loading the box. Actually I think they made a good adjustment with pulling both guards and moving the action outside the box. But still we have to get better on the passing game especially early on. I hope Gus tells the punter to go higher and shorter and stop these run backs. Defense just needs to keep getting experienced 

*There exists in the coaching ranks a condition known as being "right-handed," wherein a coach will call plays to his right more than to his left.  I've wondered if Gus has that condition, as a significant majority of our plays, especially running plays, go to the right.  With Tega and Harrell on the left, one would think we would go there more often.

I loved this suggestion. Its a great idea. At least something they need to consider. Surely Gus has seen this I hope. 

Didnt like the intentional and egregious shot to Will's head either but what had me about to jump through the TV was the Tulane head coach's smirk afterwards caught on camera.

20 hours ago, War Ables said:

Thanks, level-headed & well reasoned post. IMO (and you can see this in his book even going back to his OC days), Malzahn ALWAYS tries to set up particular plays later in the game with whatever he's doing in the first half (including mind numbing, repeated runs up the middle). Problems with this approach include games where the D doesnt keep you close or when those select "later" plays are botched from lack of execution (see e.g. Schwartz w/ hand cast almost execute otherwise well timed play vs Tulane). Nobody's a bigger Malzahn fan than me but...just saying, frustrating is an excellent word choice.