Things I Think I Saw: AU vs Tulane

JMR

Regarding being "right-handed," I remember several years ago "they" (can't remember if it was the coaching staff, some gameday announcers, or maybe even Gus himself) said that Gus likes to be on the AU sideline to get calls in quicker and to sub faster. Also it had to do with getting the benefit of the doubt when it came to close calls on the sideline. Don't know if they tried to play the majority of the time on AU side of the field (1 quarter left, 1 quarter right for example) or if it's always one way. I believe this comment was made way back in his OC days. 

Another thing I believe has been brought up a time or two, but not as much as it probably should...It was said back when Khiel Frazier was the QB that GM designs plays and tells the QB where to throw it. I remember who the source was, and he's not around anymore (this was during other forum's days), and he straight up said the QB is told where to throw it each play. If you look back at GM's time here and how everyone wonders "how'd he miss that read?" That is a perfect explanation. 

• Thanks 1

Great assessment of the game. I wish Gus would read your posts in that he could learn some from you! Seriously, you have a really good take on the status of the football team game to game. I hope in 2 weeks we will be happy with a solid win over TAMU. Maybe Gus has been holding back a lot of things and keeping it close to the vest. I hope this is the case.

The Braves are making a nice comeback against the Phillies!  I hope some of it rubs off on our Tigers!

2 hours ago, Browning4AU said:

Regarding being "right-handed," I remember several years ago "they" (can't remember if it was the coaching staff, some gameday announcers, or maybe even Gus himself) said that Gus likes to be on the AU sideline to get calls in quicker and to sub faster. Also it had to do with getting the benefit of the doubt when it came to close calls on the sideline. Don't know if they tried to play the majority of the time on AU side of the field (1 quarter left, 1 quarter right for example) or if it's always one way. I believe this comment was made way back in his OC days. 

Another thing I believe has been brought up a time or two, but not as much as it probably should...It was said back when Khiel Frazier was the QB that GM designs plays and tells the QB where to throw it. I remember who the source was, and he's not around anymore (this was during other forum's days), and he straight up said the QB is told where to throw it each play. If you look back at GM's time here and how everyone wonders "how'd he miss that read?" That is a perfect explanation. 

Don’t know about before. Pretty sure Stidham made decisions and check down for sure. With Bo I also know he is making decisions because he commented on it. As has been mention his pass against Oregon to Stove was a run play called by Gus. so stove is open and checked out of the run and threw the pass. Same on the pass to Seth he had the option to hand off and field goal team was ready to come on and kick it or pass to Seth if he was open. Bo chose the play . In fact I think you’ll be amazed at how much slack Gus is giving Bo because Bo likes to adapt. Right now it’s a problem of experience between him and his receivers when he runs out of the pocket they have to know what each other will do and that will come with reputations and it’s hard to simulate in practice. I think this team offensively will grow fast over the next few weeks. I don’t like to compare but I think he can be like Tua or Clemsons QB once he gets to speed. Both of those guys are more dangerous when they are on the run than when they are in the pocket.

Edited by Eagle Eye 7
  • Like 1

Until we get back to recruiting elite OL (signing is probably more accurate) I’m afraid a lot of the observations we see here will continue to be the same. 

• Like 1