Elite Pass Rush

Tigerpro2a

After 2 games I think one concern on Defense we all have is an Elite Pass rusher. We have seen several different alignments. IE. Coe, Davidson, BKB, TD, Derek Hall, Etc. So far no one looks to be that elite guy. That R. Jibunor Transfer seems to be hurting here. I want to know if any of you think one of these guys will develop into at least a good pass rusher as the season goes on? I think TD has the best chance. Big Kat still seems to be missing something. I know its early. I hope we get that guy. I think Coe needs to be inside. I think if we can't get an elite or at least good pass rush outside then maybe Coe and Brown develop and inside rush that can't be contained. I remember 2010, Fairley was always putting pressure up the middle. Maybe it isn't one guy this year but a little bit of everybody. 

I still have hopes for Derek Hall. What little time I have seen him he has looked explosive. Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

After 2 games I think one concern on Defense we all have is an Elite Pass rusher. We have seen several different alignments. IE. Coe, Davidson, BKB, TD, Derek Hall, Etc. So far no one looks to be that elite guy. That R. Jibunor Transfer seems to be hurting here. I want to know if any of you think one of these guys will develop into at least a good pass rusher as the season goes on? I think TD has the best chance. Big Kat still seems to be missing something. I know its early. I hope we get that guy. I think Coe needs to be inside. I think if we can't get an elite or at least good pass rush outside then maybe Coe and Brown develop and inside rush that can't be contained. I remember 2010, Fairley was always putting pressure up the middle. Maybe it isn't one guy this year but a little bit of everybody. 

I still have hopes for Derek Hall. What little time I have seen him he has looked explosive. Thoughts?

I don't know if I agree with your original premise. We didn't have a lot of sacks, but we had a ton of hurries. Our DL shook up Tulane's quarterback and had him running for his life most of the night. There were several guys getting close and generating pressure, but I thought Big Kat looked good that night. 

I thought the same was true of the Oregon game in the second half.

16 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I don't know if I agree with your original premise. We didn't have a lot of sacks, but we had a ton of hurries. Our DL shook up Tulane's quarterback and had him running for his life most of the night. There were several guys getting close and generating pressure, but I thought Big Kat looked good that night. 

I thought the same was true of the Oregon game in the second half.

As far as just 4 man pressure in the Oregon game, with I thought Oregon protected pretty well. I know CKS is great with scheming stunts and blitz packages, but we are going to need to get pressure with 4 and get it quicker than we have when we face the LSU/UGA/BAMAs of the world. I hope to see a few sacks with 4 man pressure against Kent St. 

We’re getting back there. Just not finishing the sack. Big Kat could’ve had one and he somehow missed it. Davidson probably could’ve had a couple. It’s time for them to finish the play

We do seem to remain engaged with the OL instead of using our hands to get off or do some type of 'swim' technique to break away...I think we'd all like to see at least 5-7 sacks a game and a lot of tackles for loss....maybe we need to blitz more often; this might freeze up a lineman to go in for tackle... 

51 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

We do seem to remain engaged with the OL instead of using our hands to get off or do some type of 'swim' technique to break away...I think we'd all like to see at least 5-7 sacks a game and a lot of tackles for loss....maybe we need to blitz more often; this might freeze up a lineman to go in for tackle... 

That's what seems to be missing. No good use of hands. Not getting off blocks. I think the explosion could be there but they have to learn some hand combat technique ( ala Jeff Holland was great at this) and better utilize leverage. 

You never know, Big Kat could be just like his cousin who really didn't come on until his senior season.  I wouldn't write him off yet.

Not getting sacks is certainly not from lack of effort. Our DL fights like Tigers 🐅 (pun intended) every play. In fact, that’s what wears down the opposing OL by the third quarter most weeks. Our ends just aren’t quick twitch guys. I was expecting Coe to be that guy but haven’t seen it yet.  Hall is probably our best bet to grow into that role. Losing Jibunor hurt. 

39 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Not getting sacks is certainly not from lack of effort. Our DL fights like Tigers 🐅 (pun intended) every play. In fact, that’s what wears down the opposing OL by the third quarter most weeks. Our ends just aren’t quick twitch guys. I was expecting Coe to be that guy but haven’t seen it yet.  Hall is probably our best bet to grow into that role. Losing Jibunor hurt. 

Yes I think Jub hurt alot. Oh I am not questioning effort at all. I love our D-Line I just feel like that is something that is lacking a little. I would like to see them use Pappoe in Buck spot some just to get a different look.

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

Our DL should do what Holland did and start taking karate classes for better hands

I noticed Marlon Davidson was doing that during warm-ups Saturday with I think the same guy that helped Holland.

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I noticed Marlon Davidson was doing that during warm-ups Saturday with I think the same guy that helped Holland.

I noticed that as well. It seemed to really make a difference for J. Holland. He was a different player from SO to JR season. Man what another year could have been for him and AU. I'm hoping that TD or Big Kat really turn the corner this year. IF and when one do I hope they come back next year to dominate. 

TD has been banged up the first two games, so I’m hoping we’ll see him a little more this Saturday. That being said, I think both teams had a game plan to get rid of the ball quickly to negate our rushing and sacks. If we figure out how to stop the quick passing game we’ll see more sacks.

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

That makes sense. He’s the one that’s been getting the most consistent pressure so far. Everybody on the DL need to do it

14 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Plus you have to consider the Tulane qb seemed to be fairly elusive. Couldn't throw it a lick, but had good wheels. Reminded me of Malik Willis

Yeah, he was no Lamar Jackson but that did remind me of playing Louisville a few years ago. We got in the backfield all night but just couldn't get that dude on the ground. 

That said, I agree that we are lacking at that spot relative to most seasons 2017 and before. Jib was a major loss. An unhealthy Moultry might be, too. 

Last 2 weeks containment was more of a focus imo with both QBs being very mobile. You never want a QB to start beating you with his feet and having a dline that is so dominant you could easily over pursuit. Yes we want more sacks but at the same time the only place the qb has had space to run is up the middle.

Another couple of things here. 

1) Exactly what @JMassie11 said.  We have been very concerned about containment and staying in lanes.  It has worked at times and then other times where a couple of the guys lost containment.  

2) I am certain that we have not be running any extravagant defensive schemes for the first few weeks.  Even against Oregon, we only brought a couple of blitzes.  For the most part we were very conservative and played coverage.  I am hoping this changes in the aTm game and from that point we will start seeing our pass rush emerge.  

Maybe I am wrong here, but that is my opinion.

18 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Another couple of things here. 

1) Exactly what @JMassie11 said.  We have been very concerned about containment and staying in lanes.  It has worked at times and then other times where a couple of the guys lost containment.  

2) I am certain that we have not be running any extravagant defensive schemes for the first few weeks.  Even against Oregon, we only brought a couple of blitzes.  For the most part we were very conservative and played coverage.  I am hoping this changes in the aTm game and from that point we will start seeing our pass rush emerge.  

Maybe I am wrong here, but that is my opinion.

I agree. I think we're going to see a lot more "exotic" blitzes as the season goes on. We started to do more of it last season. 

Archived